Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Email from UA Marketing: "Explore the globe | Use miles on 28 Star Alliance Partners"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email from UA Marketing: "Explore the globe | Use miles on 28 Star Alliance Partners"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat

I think this is the first time in a while I've seen email marketing for redeeming on *A airlines, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I thought I'd post it because it's unlikely UA/MP would want to encourage this unless they currently have a "deficit" in terms of redemption across airlines (i.e. more miles from other programs have been used to redeem for UA award seats than MP miles used for other airlines) and want to even it out before end of calendar year to make numbers look nice.

Did you know you can use Mileage Plus® miles for award travel on 28 Star Alliance® airlines? That means you can fly to more than 1,000 destinations around the globe with miles.

Here are just a few of the places you can go:
- Nassau, Bahamas on US Airways
- Cairo, Egypt on EgyptAir
- Istanbul, Turkey on Turkish Airlines
- Copenhagen, Denmark on Scandinavian Airlines
- Johannesburg, South Africa on South African Airways
- Dusseldorf, Germany on Lufthansa
- Kyoto, Japan on All Nippon Airways (ANA)

There are two ways to book your award on Star Alliance partners:
- Book online for travel with United, Continental and US Airways.
- Call United Reservations* at 1-888-674-4680 to book with all 28 Star Alliance partner airlines.

Learn more and check out the Saver/Star Alliance Award chart for a complete listing of the miles required for roundtrip travel to and from all the regions flown by United®, United Express® and Star Alliance airlines.

Book Now

Remember, Star Awards are limited and go fast. Book early to secure your seat.

Also, do they really think that Dusseldorf is appealing?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Argh! Wish they would just drop StarNet Blocking instead of encouraging people to redeem MORE on partners.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Argh! Wish they would just drop StarNet Blocking instead of encouraging people to redeem MORE on partners.
I was thinking the same thing! I was also hoping that with this added publicity for Star Alliance Awards it woudl put morre pressure on them to stop StarNet Blocking

sdcarver
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Yeah, the funny thing is that we (the ones who do all the homework) would rather have these options be kept a secret to the silly MP public who like spending 50k miles for domestic standard awards so that we can hog the partner awards to ourselves
Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
+1

When I first saw the email, I thought that it was going to let me book * travel online.. Of course I that was wrong, after I read the entire email..

At least it didn't say that my 100K RDMs could get me a r/t ticket..
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
Wow UA, impressive!

With one hand, you guide us to redeem on Star Alliance partners.

With the other, you utilize Starnet Blocking to prevent us from doing so easily.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
Wow UA, impressive!

With one hand, you guide us to redeem on Star Alliance partners.

With the other, you utilize Starnet Blocking to prevent us from doing so easily.

Well, to be sure, this email is referring to Y awards, not C/F. IIRC, Y awards aren't blocked anywhere near as much as premium awards.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I'd be much more excited if they also included a website enhancement that allowed us to search for *A awards online. I'm just now trying to put together a European vacation for the parents that will include 2 award Y tickets (for them) and one paid ticket for me...I imagine I might be posting for help in a few weeks.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:11 am

Smile

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs

Also, do they really think that Dusseldorf is appealing?
Dusseldorf is of course appealing, we have:

- The longest beer hall (in fact it is the the old town, Altstadt) where you can drink beer everywhere
- Beautiful scenery along the Rhine
- Nice Christmas market in the entire December (until Christmas)
- Very international atmosphere with many people from all over the world working here.

So, come visit Dusseldorf !! Just hope that this does not mean the flights to Dusseldorf starts getting more expensive with the increased demand.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: UAMP Gold Million Miler; American, Delta, Southwest; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt; Marriott, A-Plus
Saver awards go fast?

Or are they mostly non-existent. My non-Premier friend got 2 saver seats to Hawaii and me, the 1K for many years, couldn't get the routing that he had. I cannot imagine seats on Star partners is any easier.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
As I said elsewhere, there seems to be a push on by UA to reduce the number of outstanding MP miles on its books. Although this push is contradicted by other marketing mailers encouraging earning miles (from other sources - so perhaps that brings in $$$ from retailers/hotels/etc. who have to buy the points), I'm guessing there's a balance sheet target related to the merger settlement date.

You'd think they'd loosen up *A blocking to encourage usage, but perhaps the cost-benefit analysis isn't worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.