Wiki Posts
Search

CO BF or UA First

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

CO BF or UA First

Hi all,
Thanks first off for all those who take the time to provide answers to all these questions. My last trip(Bos-BCN and VCE-BOS) was a success because of the choices I made from input here. I'd have NEVER have known about some of the tips I learned. So i am here again for more!!

I will admit ive never flown United. Nope...never. I have always flown CO businessfirst. We're headed to SFO from BOS in April and I can either take the nonstop roundtrip CO codeshare with UA BOS-SFO-BOS First or I can go CO BF with a connection through Newark both ways. The price is pretty much the same(200 dollar difference). Im used to CO. I like CO. I have always had nice FAs and I dont ever ask for much. Ive been doing some reading and some of the reviews arent very nice of late for UA. I also fly FC or BF because we're tall and like extra room in flight. We plan, we pay....for comfort. Can anyone comment on the aircraft on my choices. Is there a more comfortable choice. I'll connect through Newark rather than a nonstop if there is a big difference. BIG THANKS....

UA aircraft: 757-200, A320
CO aircraft: 737-700, 737-800
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
CO would be in Domestic First, not BF with DTV on the 737-800 as the only bonus.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
UA F is nothing special. On a trip like that, however, I'd skip the EWR connection and take the nonstop BOS-SFO. Between the A320 and 757, with guaranteed F I'd take the A320 (smaller cabin, more intimate service).
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
If it was BF, but I dont think the 738 are, then I'd say if time wasn't an issue do that. The BOS-SFO will be UA standard transcon service, the seats are about as good as CO F (though the IFE box on CO >>>> UA) and the food won't be as good you'll get there faster and without the possibility of irrops causing a misconnect, so I'd do UA.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Trying to not sound biased, I would go with UA. A connection in EWR could possibly derail your trip, especially if weather is a factor. Go with the non-stop. As already mentioned you'll be served a meal, and the FA will come through with a snack basket, offering Sun Chips, Ghiradelli Chocolates, Bananas, Biscotti, and UA Snack Mix.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
a re-occurring type of question -- maybe time for a consolidated thread??

in the past few months there are:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-vs-co-bf.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bf-hawaii.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...city-maui.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-opinions.html

and I'm sure there are others
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
the FA will come through with a snack basket, offering Sun Chips, Ghiradelli Chocolates, Bananas, Biscotti, and UA Snack Mix.
This must vary, because we just got back from Boston, and in both directions there were Kettle Chips instead of Sun Chips (I would have preferred the Sun Chips - less greasy), and no Snack Mix (not that anyone missed it). The chocolate, bananas, and biscotti were all there, however.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Maybe OP does not understand that BF is not offered on domestic flights. So, he would be comparing CO domestic F to UA domestic F.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This must vary, because we just got back from Boston, and in both directions there were Kettle Chips instead of Sun Chips (I would have preferred the Sun Chips - less greasy), and no Snack Mix (not that anyone missed it). The chocolate, bananas, and biscotti were all there, however.
I've seen both. I also like the sun chips better but wish they'd have the cheddar ones rather than original but still prefer them over the kettle chips
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Stand corrected

Originally Posted by CLEHillbilly
CO would be in Domestic First, not BF with DTV on the 737-800 as the only bonus.
Yes...sorry...you are right. First not BF
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If OP is not interested in *A miles, VX flies BOS-SFO nonstop and offers a much better experience.
VX First has very comfortable 55" pitch seats, great IFE and something neither UA or CO have heard of... wifi.
But the best thing about VX compared to UA: no paninis.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

I appreciate your input. You are correct. CO is domestic First not BF.
I guess with all things being fairly equal, it makes sense to do a nonstop rather than risk being delayed and missing a connection. Im a creature of habit really and UA is new for me.

Bio-
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Why not do:
BOS-JFK-SFO in p.s?

JFK isn't that different from BOS-EWR-SFO on CO and I think the p.s. flight would be better than BOS-SFO in First on a non p.s. flight. I think the P.S. business experience is better than non-P.S. domestic first.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1) I absolutely hate consolidated threads.

2) This is actually an unrelated question, because it isn't about BF vs. United First. Its about each carrier's domestic first.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I haven't seen Sun Chips on any of the flights. Also, I don't think the kettle cooked chips on UA are actual Kettle Chips (a brand). That said, its too bad the BOS flights don't offer the original and best kettle potato chips, Cape Cod Potato Chips.

(BTW, just like with Pringles, you aren't necessarily getting a healthier chip with Sun Chips)

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Maybe OP does not understand that BF is not offered on domestic flights. So, he would be comparing CO domestic F to UA domestic F.
And the comparison is basically 6/half a dozen, except that CO has better IFE and UA has better actual service.

Originally Posted by msbiojojo
Yes...sorry...you are right. First not BF
Its basically the same, so the non-stop is the better bet, unless you need extra miles (doesn't seem so if you are buying the forward cabin ticket).
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinsac
not 100% true, CO does fly the 752 on some Domestic flights still.Although the service wont be BF nor the meals the seats will be. I believe CO uses them on some of its Florida routes,LAX,IAH not sure about SFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.