Changing planes at LHR

Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Changing planes at LHR

I'm flying UAL metal from ORD-LHR, have a 2 hour layover, then hopping on a UAL flight, operated by BMI, to DUB. Interested in anyone's experiences with this UAL to BMI plane transfer at Heathrow. Approx time to get from one gate to another? Also, is the checked baggage transfer from UAL metal to BMI metal usually pretty good at Heathrow?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've connected UAL to BMI for trips to MAD, CDG, and AMS.

I can only say good things about BMI.

Keep in mind that LHR can be very congested, and with a T3 to T1 transfer (UA to BMI) I'd recommend, at a minimum, a 1.5 hour layover.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:29 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
DUB flights on BD in particular leave from a long walk through a really rinky-dink terminal area in T1... give yourself plenty of time, especially if walking from their lounges.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:36 pm

Programs: Free Agent
How far away are the LH gates from UA?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MP
Hi all!

I just finished a return transatlantic trip using UA -> bmi. In all reality I think 20 - 30 mins to disembark, go through immigration and then get that stupid bus to terminal 1, and then go through security is reasonable. However be warned I was talking to a gentleman in the security line who said that he has had to wait upto 30 mins in the security line alone, and some of the muppets that work there...

Bottom line, leave plenty of time. However if you're *G the bmi lounge is very nice so it's something to look forward to at the end of the ordeal.

Safe trip
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the great info! So, as a Premier with UAL, I can use the BMI lounge?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA MP
As Premier Executive, (*G), yup.

By the way if you have a UA e-tix when you hit T1, on the return segment, you will not be allowed to follow transiting passengers, and you will have to go via the underground route, (a long walk), to T3 section G to check in with United. After that I advise going to the London Lounge, I much prefer it to the RCC.

Safe trip
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onlyflybmi/UA:
Hi all!

I just finished a return transatlantic trip using UA -&gt; bmi. In all reality I think 20 - 30 mins to disembark, go through immigration and then get that stupid bus to terminal 1, and then go through security is reasonable. However be warned I was talking to a gentleman in the security line who said that he has had to wait upto 30 mins in the security line alone, and some of the muppets that work there...

Bottom line, leave plenty of time. However if you're *G the bmi lounge is very nice so it's something to look forward to at the end of the ordeal.

Safe trip
</font>
I've waited 25 mins. just for the bus before. Add that to potential security delays, and I can see it being an hour. I think BA's recommended MINIMUM is 75 minutes.

btw, if you can avoid LHR as a connecting point, by all means do so.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Condition One:
How far away are the LH gates from UA? </font>

A GOOD 1.5 hours at the very least should be allowed for this transfer. You can take the connection bus or walk (20 minutes).
Old Feb 11, 2004, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Condition One:
How far away are the LH gates from UA? </font>
LH uses Terminal 2 at LHR, while UA uses Terminal 3. Though the buildings are next door to each other (similar to, say, T1 to T2 at ORD) the main delay factors are reclearing security and getting through immigration (if you're not a European citizen then I would personally follow the "Flight Connections" signs when you arrive and go through the dedicated immigration posts there, as the queues there tend to be shorter, especially at peak times). As with connections to BMI, I would allow 90 minutes to be safe.

Old Feb 11, 2004, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Follow up question: are the BMI flights from LHR to DUB treated as domestic or int'l flights? Just wondering if I have to deal with passport control on T1 and upon arrival in DUB.
Thx!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.