Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

miles incorrectly posted to SQ instead of UA ... what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2004, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM

What's that line about if you play with fire, eventually you'll get burned? Well, that happened to me a week ago.

The situation: flying SFO-SIN-KUL on SQ in Y class, and I booked the reservation with my KrisFlyer # instead of my MP # so that I would be able to check in online and secure a seat assignment prior to the flight. In the past, I've done this and then changed the mileage plan with the check-in agent at the airport to make sure the miles post to the correct account.

However, this time, the return flights posted to KrisFlyer anyway, despite the agent's work at the counter in KUL. I've called and written to SQ, asking them to remove the miles from my KF account so that I can claim the miles on UA, but they have been generally unhelpful.

Any ideas or experience with this? I've been told that their contracts with one another prevent "transferring" of the miles from one account to another, but my view is that it was the agent's mistake which made the miles post to KF instead of MP.

Any friendly advice would be appreciated. Having these miles in my KF account does nothing for me, and I'm counting on them in my MP for requalification next year.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Under similar circumstances, involving Lufthansa, I simply wrote a letter to LH explaining the situation, asking them to reverse the credit for the flight, and to send me a letter confirming this. I then sent that letter to UA and received credit. The whole process took ~ 8 weeks or so. (Also, I kept detailed records and provided both LH and UA with plenty of supporting documentation including boarding passes (or copies), ticket receipts, mileage summary printouts, etc.)

In your case I would contact SQ and see if they can reverse credit the flight(s) you want to credit to UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.