Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Went via ground instead of flying -- entitled to miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Recently, on a MKE-ORD-OAK itinerary, the MKE-ORD flights were canceled due to weather. I took ground transport to ORD and flew to OAK. No miles for the MKE-ORD (500 min.) were posted to my acct.

Before I submit a request, does anyone know if I'll get the miles I would have had were it not for the canceled flight?
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I always have the best luck faxing a note the Premier Customer Relations with a request and the reason. Never been turned down.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
I have missed segments 4-5 times this past year, on multi-segment routes, leaving a middle leg out. I usually missed the flight due to business and drove later that evening because UAL/Skywest did not have another flight that day. I then caught the last segment two days later.

I never received miles for any missed segments. I was happy UA did not void my itinerary because from what I read here they could have. I'd be interested see how things workout for you.
Old Jan 5, 2004, 11:30 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
My past experience with UA has been that, when travel deviations occured due to either weather or operational reasons, I was always credited with miles according to my orginal ticketed itinerary. But I did fly all the way from Point A to B, so not sure about credit when one leg of your trip was by ground transport.
Old Jan 6, 2004, 9:31 am

You will. The exact thing happened last November and I got the miles after I submitted a request.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Happened to me in November also - sleety weather drove ATW-ORD then flew rest of scheduled segments. Had to call 1K desk and explain what happened but got mileage/segment credit.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I had 3 cancelled flights post to my account this year simply by calling UA CS. I have not had to fax the itinerary as UA has access to that via record locator. I had a flight cancel in December and called UGS desk. I said that I only wanted to be credited for the flights that I paid for, nothing more, and nothing less. I was told my last request (in December) that this cannot be done. I requested to speak to a supervisor, which prompted the agent (at UGS Desk!) to put me on hold and verify this herself. After being on hold for 5 minutes, she said that the flight would be credited.

So yes, you can get credit but must do so within 1 year of the flight as this seems to be the statute of limitations. Have record locator or ticket number available when calling. Best of luck.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA - 1K
I had no problem with this - I just called and they made the credit on the spot.

Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I wrote a brief letter, enclosed the ORD-OAK boarding passes, and we were all credited for the 500 miles as if we had flown MKE-ORD. Thanks for your help, folks.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 10:29 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
UX terminal @ LAX last Friday PM was overbooked city. CSRs were offering bus/shuttle vans as protection (as all later flights were also overbooked to several destinations.) They were assuring pax that they will get mileage credit for the bus as if they had flown.

(OT apology but when UX CSRs were asked, were also offering $200 t.credits in lieu of the dreaded free tkt.)
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:47 am

Programs: AAEXP 2MM, UA 0.9MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
I have had the same thing happen to me on multiple occasions out of ORD. Usually I get credit if I request it, however on the last trip they refused. Instead of giving me the missing 500 miles (ORD-SBN), they processed a refund for the segment. And they did this on a nonrefundable ticket and even though they paid for the bus service. I thought it was very odd that they would not credit the 500 miles before giving a cash refund, but I didn't complain...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.