Search

What would you do? Bump, or biz?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Why do you say it is not worth $400?

Originally Posted by ptspellman
E-? Probably a middle? No. E+ I might do it but I really like the new C. An E-cert isn't $400 in cash so I don't think that is the right comparison. Its really more like $200 or $300 in cash.

E+ on a flight 3 hours later, probably.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: UA
Assuming I have the time, I take the bump.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:00 am

I'm just glad to hear so many reports of $$$ certs instead of free flight vouchers.

Count me as one who would not sit in an E- middle for four hours for $400 of future credit.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 7:02 am

Definitely wouldn't have taken it but then again I'm not as much of a VDB whore as some others around here. I need to get where I'm going as quickly as possible.

The fact that you were looking at a downgrade on top of a delay, makes the threshold even higher. I would have needed $1000 to even consider it.

But then again, that's why these kinds of questions are lame. Everyone values this stuff based on their own personal finances and lifestyle/priorities...
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ptspellman
E-? Probably a middle? No. E+ I might do it but I really like the new C. An E-cert isn't $400 in cash so I don't think that is the right comparison. Its really more like $200 or $300 in cash.

E+ on a flight 3 hours later, probably.
I did get E+ eventually, so that did work out.
Also, I buy a lot of tickets on United, and $400 in e-certs is actually just that - $400 in cash in my pocket ($400 that stays there after all my purchasing is done)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.14 MM ALASKA MVPG
Originally Posted by bobbysfca
I did get E+ eventually, so that did work out.
Also, I buy a lot of tickets on United, and $400 in e-certs is actually just that - $400 in cash in my pocket ($400 that stays there after all my purchasing is done)
Yes, I fly for work mostly so TCs are useless (19 or 20 of my trips this year) -- but this year there have been a lot more family travel with purchased tickets IAD, KOA, LA, (often it is just miles for family tickets -- this year they are all used up going to SYD).
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by boolean64
I'm just glad to hear so many reports of $$$ certs instead of free flight vouchers.

Count me as one who would not sit in an E- middle for four hours for $400 of future credit.
FWIW, UA switched from DBCFREE's to $400 (flat) TCs a few months back.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I am rather in need of some certs for MRing to try and hit 1k, but I'm not sure I could have convinced myself to take this one. Yes, the OP eventually got E+, but E- for 4 hours is a really rough thought. The equation would change for me if it was domestic F on the ghetto bird vs E+ isle a couple hours later, but new C vs E-, I've got to stick with new C even if I lose the $400 voucher.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
That's a tough call. The new C is so nice, and that's a long flight. I probably would take the $400, but not a penny less. And I certainly wouldn't take a VDB for a seat on another carrier unless the agent specifies "IRROPS" in my PNR so that I can get the RDMs/EQMs for my originally scheduled UA flight.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

One added bonus ...

I looked at my statement today, and noticed that when I got re-booked, it was done in "Y" bucket, thus rec'd over 900 extra EQMs.

That, plus an eventual E+ aisle seat, plus $400 makes me happy with my decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.