Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Better First, or Biz, Class...United or Qantas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering if you guys would like to share your opinions. I would like to burn some miles on a trip to Sydney from the U.S., and since I rarely get to enjoy First or Biz class, I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. So who do you like best? United or Qantas? Which has the more comfortable seat?
Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I took Qantas from LAX-SYD-MEL-LAX in December. I posted a trip report for the LAX-SYD portion in the Flyertalk Trip Reports forum. Search for it there.

In a nutshell... Qantas beats UA HANDS DOWN when it comes to food and service. But UA has a better seat in Biz.

However, Qantas will be installing beds in biz throughout 2004, so depending on when you go, you may get a bed.

Keep in mind that they will significantly reduce the number of seats in biz with the bed implementation. This may result in less frqt flyer seats allocated.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:05 pm

I like United's seats but the quality of service has been dropping lately. I think the most important thing to do is to check www.seatguru.com so that the seat you're actyually in is as good as possible. There's a huge difference between a good business-class seat and a bad one, in terms of leg room, noise and storage.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jaas:
I was wondering if you guys would like to share your opinions. I would like to burn some miles on a trip to Sydney from the U.S., and since I rarely get to enjoy First or Biz class, I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. So who do you like best? United or Qantas? Which has the more comfortable seat?
Thanks for the help!
</font>

My personal experience [of course, there is always an exception]:
* Paying full fare or using miles to get business/first = SQ, CX, BA, Qantas, etc.
* Cheap ticket + upgrade [SWU, VIPOW] = UA, AA

Good luck!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I flew both QF & UA in business. QF had better food. UA had a better seat. The best seats are in row 15 (UA) and row 16 (QF). I sat in 15A/B on various UA 747's including LAX-SYD/MEL. I sat in 16B on QF. I slept better on the UA biz seats.

Alot of flyers like F class. It will cost more miles for F.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Right on Tiburon 1K, I do exactly the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.