Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Tomato Juice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:36 pm

There has been a recall. Some "bad tomatoes". SW also stopped serving it. My understanding is that this is temporary.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by hobo13
For a young active person, sodium isn't really a problem.
And for some active people, extra sodium is good. A coworker went to the hospital recently due to low sodium on a long bike ride (Death Ride for the bay area riders like Mike). One of the recommendations was that he should have tomato juice - it was available at every rest stop on the ride.

Last edited by MLRoach; Aug 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm Reason: cleaning up tagging
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I like my tomato juice o n board especially after have 4 rum and cokes in the PC.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Tomato juice smells just as disgusting as it tastes. This is why I hate domestic morning flights in Germany. The entire cabin smells of tomato juice!

I would welcome this change.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:22 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Motts is on strike

Had the same experience this week on SFO-MSP and return. Outbound was told they were looking for a new supplier, return was told it had been discontinued. Was offered bloody mary mix both ways.

Did a quick internet search and found two things. 1) CO is also out of tomato juice (but still has blood mary mix), so it isn't just a UA thing. 2) Motts is on strike at the plant that makes tomato juice.

They must keep inventories in close check, as the plant went on strike on July 27th or so.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
But compare the number of calories to OJ. Tomato juice is about half. For a young active person, sodium isn't really a problem.

This is annoying to me. I don't drink pop. They don't stock iced tea or lemonade (R.I.P. Ted). I don't like bloody mary mix, and the cran-apple is too sweet. So there just isn't much left. Guess it'll be water for a while.
Same here. I don't drink soda and other juices are too sweet for me. Tomato juice is about the only thing I drink beside water. Water only for now until something else comes up.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Gold
I sure hope this is just a temporary thing. Tomato juice is my number one choice on UA flts. I hate Bloody Mary mix.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Goes2Oz

There has been a recall. Some "bad tomatoes". SW also stopped serving it. My understanding is that this is temporary.
Using "Google" as a search tool, the only tomato recall is that which is discussed on Flyertalk. Motts knows nothing about any problem with its tomato juice.

The reason I checked is because I like tomato juice and will miss it if it is completely discontinued. I guess its time to complain to United if the tomato juice is missing on my upcoming flight.
-
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mrotenfan
I guess I will be the one to clearify...Mott's tomato juice has been recalled because of odd smell and taste; not sure if you can find in the stores, but at least they have been taken off from United since last month, until futher notice...
Mott's Tomato Juice is no longer available on Continental, Frontier, or Midwest Airlines, either. So, it's not just a United problem.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Our FA told us there was a recall or contamination and it had been pulled systemwide. Apparently any communication on the subject through FA channels was...unclear.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Using "Google" as a search tool, the only tomato recall is that which is discussed on Flyertalk. Motts knows nothing about any problem with its tomato juice.

The reason I checked is because I like tomato juice and will miss it if it is completely discontinued. I guess its time to complain to United if the tomato juice is missing on my upcoming flight.
-
actually, it was also first discussed on airlinecrew.net in the CO forum earlier this week, but it's just on these 2 travel sites, nowhere else that i can find.

http://www.airlinecrew.net/vbulletin....php?p=1476451
Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Odd... tomato juice was noted in one of those studies to be requested on planes at significantly higher rates than normal consumption outside of planes.
I rarely used to drink tomato juice on a plane until I read an article in the LH in-flight magazine recently about how tomato juice is very popular in the air because, while it tastes and smells odd on the ground, in the air it turns into a delicious and popular drink due to changes in humidity and taste bud perception.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by smfnrt
Perhaps the Tomato Juice is no longer up to United Standards so they can't serve it?
You mean, perhaps the tomato juice is too high for United standards, and that's why they won't serve it?

The Mrs. T's bloody mary mix only has, oh, over 100% of your recommended daily sodium intake.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD, UA mileage Plus
We were told that until further notice United had stopped stocking and serving Motts Tomato Juice as it was not up to United's standards. The wording was rather vague and there was no real detailed explanation given but we will continue to serve Bloody Mary Mix (which is fine with some customers, and other customers detest).

Makes me feel a little better knowing it's an industry wide problem and not just a United issue. Hopefully we will get it back soon, I know I have had a lot of disappointed tomato drinkers lately!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:36 am

I was working SFO-HKG flight a couple weeks ago. Mid way through, we got a message from the captain to stop serving tomato juice. We was told that because there was a patch of tomato juice products being contaminated and they can not tract down within their inventory. On another flight 2 days later, we had tomato juice boarded but was told not serving them to passengers. I am sure this is a temporary cut off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.