Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does anyone think UA should improve their mobile website?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P/SPG

i am often frustrated with the limited amount of things that i could do at United.com when on my phone(nokia e71)/ipod touch.

I always thought that other airlines had a similarly useless mobile website but when i went on Southwest.com, i was blown away with the amount of things i could do. I checked-in to my flight and was so impressed i even booked a flight to Vegas. The amazing thing was that i did all of this in less than 5 minutes.

I am now curious to checkout the mobile websites of other airlines. If anyone has experience, please post.

Am i the only one that thinks mobile united.com needs an upgrade?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA G
Most certainly yes. I flew LH for the first time last month and was able to check-in from my BlackBerry and get an electronic boarding pass.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
I think the faster route would be to get an iPhone. I was just able to search for a flight and select seats. I took it all the way to the payment screen without problems. Doesn't the iPod touch have the same browser?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I think you'll find that everyone here thinks UA should improve it's entire website, not just the mobile version.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Primary website - definitey. Mobile site - I couldn't care less (unless they add electronic boarding passes).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P/SPG
unavaca
I was in Germany last week and although i didn't want to pay for the intl data, i got my BP sent to my phone. It was nice but i would really love to be able to check in from my phone.

UnitedEF

You're correct that the Itouch can access the United webpage. But for some reason, when i tether my phone to my touch, it brings me to the mobile site instead of the regular site. I'm guessing b/c it is picking up the mac from my Nokia.

I really can't say i like my itouch enough to even consider an iphone....hahha
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:01 pm

Oh dear yes, Mr Zhu agrees.

Esp they should focus on Blackberry....which the vast majority of business travelers use......
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
Why are you having problems in your iPod Touch? The United site works fine from my iPhoen 3GS and Blackberry 8900 (Opera Mini).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MrZhu
Oh dear yes, Mr Zhu agrees.

Esp they should focus on Blackberry....which the vast majority of business travelers use......
I disagree. RIM needs to make a better browser. The stock browser on Blackberry phones is a joke.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Eight or nine years ago when ua2go.com was first released, I think it was leading edge. Only a tiny minority of cell phone users, themselves a minority of the population, had data plans, and the phones themselves were quite limited. Today, of course, all of that has changed— but in the interim UA had a labor crisis, terrorist attack, prolonged bankruptcy, and other things that probably made upgrading a functional if limited mobile site a low priority.

Leapfrogging happens all the time. It's like a company that replaced its whole secretarial pool with Wang word processor operators two years before the IBM PC. Or AA launching of its "Next-Generation" Business Class seat . Eventually, UA2go will leapfrog instead of just being the toad— well, we hope. United.com is less worthy of being called .bomb than before, but still not unworthy of it.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
I had a blackberry and had a chance to get an iPhone for free so I figured why not and when the 3G blackberry comes out for tmobile I would just re-up and get a free 3G blackberry. It was love hate for a while because I was so used to my Blackberry but the browser and the apps have won me over. If the blackberry had a better browser they would win me back. The battery life on the iphone is horrible though.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I had a blackberry and had a chance to get an iPhone for free so I figured why not and when the 3G blackberry comes out for tmobile I would just re-up and get a free 3G blackberry. It was love hate for a while because I was so used to my Blackberry but the browser and the apps have won me over. If the blackberry had a better browser they would win me back. The battery life on the iphone is horrible though.
Increase battery life and enjoy less dropped calls by turning off 3G. I only turn on 3G when using Safari.

Back on topic, I wish for a better mobile app, but the existing one does get the job done.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by UAyoungK
UnitedEF
You're correct that the Itouch can access the United webpage. But for some reason, when i tether my phone to my touch, it brings me to the mobile site instead of the regular site. I'm guessing b/c it is picking up the mac from my Nokia.

I really can't say i like my itouch enough to even consider an iphone....hahha
It's picking up your user agent from the browser. Set your browser to spoof Firefox or IE and the problem will go away.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
While I'd love to see improvements in the mobile website, the main website must be the priority...it needs help.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
I agree that ua2go could be much better.. but it is somewhat helpful at times.

The bar for me would be SAS - who sent me a SMS which said simply reply to the SMS with "OK" and I would be checked into my flight. It worked too!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.