Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Global Services Status (Qualification, Benefits, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Global Services Status (Qualification, Benefits, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:16 pm

Location: La Jolla, CA; UA 1K & UGS; Northwest Silver Elite; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold; Marriot Silver Elite
As noted previously in this thread I received an invitation from United for the Global Services, and flew around 200,000 miles this past year, much of it full fare.

However, my father has been a 1K for awhile, but only flew 60,000 miles this year (and has no other contact with United - he is not a travel coordinator and does not have any influence over others travel decisions, and he only flies domestic). I called to talk with him and found out he too had received the letter extending the invitation into the Global Services program. That made me think that the guidelines for getting invited really aren't that strict and this really isn't that exclusive of a program. Are there many others out there who have also been invited?
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:22 pm

I have not gotten the letter( yet ) but i am thinking maybe this is the extra special bonus they are talking about for the people who leagally made 1k or have been a 1k for a long time.

could be wrong, but it would make since and a cost effective way to try to make up for closing the rooms and not have a helpful person avaialble anymore. hell they could staff it with all 27 1k room employees they needed to displace and it could be done via a phone router so as they did not all need to be in one place. Just an idea..

------------------
Brian.... Calling all 1 K's...please visit www.1kflyers.com
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K4LIFE:
I have not gotten the letter( yet ) but i am thinking maybe this is the extra special bonus they are talking about for the people who leagally made 1k or have been a 1k for a long time.

could be wrong, but it would make since and a cost effective way to try to make up for closing the rooms and not have a helpful person avaialble anymore. hell they could staff it with all 27 1k room employees they needed to displace and it could be done via a phone router so as they did not all need to be in one place. Just an idea..
</font>
I think you're incorrect.

We already know some things about UGS. The folks who are talking are likely to have pretty good information.

Plus, special gifts to real 1Ks (and presumably real 1Ps and 2Ps) are likely to be something along the lines of the SFH gifts (upgrades, miles, RCC memberships, that sort of thing).

------------------
More Room Throughout Coach: the Website of Free Miles and Free Markets
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:55 pm

You could be right, I just thought it would make since, and not cost much.

I fly about 10 RTWs in F and C a year and the cheap seats domestically with upgrades to first, so im not one to really judge the small stuff. But I hope i get an invitation

Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dinky SAN:
The fellow next to me in FC was from Pratt and Whitney going to FRA on a full fare business RT costing some $9,000 for full fare C class.

(snippage)

So these special treatments have always been around and I didn't get the sense that this chap flew all that much.
</font>
It is... not wise to tick off the company that sells you your engines...
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
I just got home from a ski holiday to happily discover "the letter".

Just for way of revenue background, I am a Million Miler, and I flew only 103,000 miles last year, down from about 140.000 per year since 1995.

However, almost all of my flights last year (except UX flights of course) were paid C or F on transatlantic or transcon flights; Since 1995, I've flown an average of 8-10 paid C or F transatlantic flights each year, split about 70% UA, 30% LH credited to my MP account, so it would seem that past LH revenue may count as well (one would expect it to going forward under the new agreement).
Old Jan 6, 2003, 10:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

For informational purposes only, I received my letter in the mail today. Year 2002 - 186K flown with a lot of F, C, D, Y and B on international and domestic flights towards the end of the year. In fact, I spent more much money in the last two months than the other 10 combined. I wonder how many people here have received/will receive the letter.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FrankoBonanzo:

my father has been a 1K for awhile, but only flew 60,000 miles this year (and has no other contact with United - he is not a travel coordinator and does not have any influence over others travel decisions, and he only flies domestic). I called to talk with him and found out he too had received the letter extending the invitation into the Global Services program. That made me think that the guidelines for getting invited really aren't that strict and this really isn't that exclusive of a program. Are there many others out there who have also been invited?</font>
Well as it has "GLOBAL" in the title and as UA snail mail has a bad habit of generally taking weeks to some foreign destinations it appears on the basis of that it is not as targeted as some might have imagined. Who knows, in a few weeks, a 1K NOT having one of these cards might be a Trendy new elite level.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having done only one full fare int'l C trip last year, I'm getting ready to find myself in the category that Mr. Million called "1K but not UGS." However, I'll only need to be "trumped" a few times to no longer be 1K in 2004! Guess I better get ready to go to Europe through Chicago or Dallas....and head to NRT via SJC.

I guess along the way I'll try to get American to treat my SWU's as VIPOW's. I've been able to do that in reverse before, but admittedly that was back before the 'no waiver, no favor' days.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I have it on very good authority that a record of making positive comments about United on FlyerTalk will also be a factor in awarding UGS.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 11:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
I have it on very good authority that a record of making positive comments about United on FlyerTalk will also be a factor in awarding UGS.</font>
Oh, man! If that's the case, my goose is so cooked...

Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Darn.

Well when my posts appeared to comment on the "GERIATRIC" FA's they stuff on all the flights to Australia, it was a simple spell check error. I really meant to type either "GENIAL" or "ENTHUSIASTIC".

Simple keying error. Could happen to almost anyone really.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
My mailbox today contained a detailed and polite thank-you for a thank-you note, the sender acknowledged how long I've been with MP too. No secret santa mail though I probably have done more revenue than some here, far less than others. Not worried about it.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm a 4 year 1K, with comfortably over 100K miles each year. My revenue contribution to UA has ranged between about $10K and $30-$35K over each of those years - admittedly the most recent year being near the low end. I don't remotely expect to be included at those levels.

However it raises an interesting question. While my individual contribution to the bottom line may only be about $25K, my loyalty to UA, and the knock-on effect on family members and some others, dictates that at least double that amount lines their coffers. Now in my case, $50K or $60K is likely still not enough to reach these exalted levels, and I have no gripes there.

But what about the individual who spends $50K on himself, but also brings in another 2/3 people (family most likely) who add another $75K. I wonder if the programme factors that in somehow - and does UA really have any way of doing so ?

Just wondering idly - my point being that if I left UA, it wouldn't be $25K that went missing, it would be $60K. It's taken care of in terms of corporate travel decision makers, but this is much fuzzier.

------------------
Cricketer
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
You bring up a good point. While I'm only a 1P and typically achieve this on probably less than $5k a year, I influence upwards of $100k of purchases a year. If I didn't want my company to fly UA anymore, it would not. Same with family and friends.

However, I don't expect that UA has any way of tracking this since we don't belong to any designated corporate and/or family program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.