Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Global Services Status (Qualification, Benefits, etc.) [Merged]

United Global Services Status (Qualification, Benefits, etc.) [Merged]

Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ffdom:
Of course, all this talk of having VIP status and my upgrade tomorrow LAX-MCO has not cleared for the first time in over a year and I've been on the waitlist since early December, go figure!

</font>

Sounds like special service to me ;-)
Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ffdom...read your letter. Your Global doesn't start until March 1st.

Gee, these Global Services guys sure have an attitude.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 1:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
MrMillion...I think your letter was just "Returned To Sender." </font>
...but if it comes back
the very next day
they still won't understand!

Old Jan 6, 2003, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrMillion:
...but if it comes back
the very next day
they still won't understand!

</font>
Elvis is definately Global Services material
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
PremEx you are of course right! Every now and again we should smell the roses. Of course this itinerary is convoluted since I am going to Talahassee and it would have been much easier to fly Delta all teh way from LAX; as it is I am switching to DL at MCO after a long long layover, all to be loyal to UA and get the upgrade, which now I don't have. But it will be a good reminder of how I should be thankful.

------------------
LH SEN, UA 1K, HH GOLD, BA SILVER
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Maybe the black card will entitle you to a meal in F?

------------------
More Room Throughout Coach: the Website of Free Miles and Free Markets
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:15 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
For those wondering what the threshold is (or is not)--a family member of mine flew 160k last year with quite a few full Y fares and has recd nothing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dinky SAN:
I'm out of the loop on the "UGS", i.e. not in that league but the issue of special treatment does remind me of one flight a year or so ago. I was flying from Hartford to IAD connecting to LHR on an upgrade. The fellow next to me in FC was from Pratt and Whitney going to FRA on a full fare business RT costing some $9,000 for full fare C class. BDL to IAD left late due to weather (i.e. act of God) and we both just missed our connections by minutes at IAD. As we left the plane, a CSR was there waiting at the ramp for this P&W chap telling him that:
"1. He has a room waiting at the Tyson's Corner Ritz-Carlton.
2. A limo is waiting
3. He is re-booked on xx flight
plus some other perks..."

So these special treatments have always been around and I didn't get the sense that this chap flew all that much.
</font>
I can attest that this is accurate--flew full F (no discount, no corp rate, etc..) from CDG-IAD in '01. Got to IAD and there was not enough time to get to cx flight--room already booked at Tyson's Corner R.C. Though I now feel slighted as I only got a taxi ride there.

[This message has been edited by jss (edited 01-06-2003).]
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:16 pm

So, I called Customer Service and this is what they told me (more or less verbatim from memory):

This is not a status you can request or earn. You have to be invited. Who does the inviting or on what basis is not evident (as in "in the profile") but it has been communicated to the staffers that this is to recognize people who "give United better business or good revenue" (sic). The benefits include those already mentioned here such as a 24hr hotline, travel assistance, dedicated staff at the airport, and higher priority in the area of upgrades, check-in, security, etc. The status is entirely separate of M+ and while it is somewhat unlikely that you would be a UGS without some elite M+ status, it is certainly possible to be a 1P *and* UGS or a 1K but *not* UGS. Regardless of the fact that it is a separate status, a UGS-card holder of any descripion will trump any other status anytime, anywhere. 1K ot not. Million Miler or not.

What was really interesting, though, was this: I felt that the CSR was open with me (to the extent that he could) and rather friendly and forthcoming. When we were done talking, he asked me this: "Can you please tell me where you heard about UGS? I am supposed to document that." I told him I couldn't as I was bound to the code of silence. Omerta!
Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:56 pm

after reading almost all the post that have been applied to this topic, I must say that there is still service and favors that are passed along to the little 1 K's. Case in point, i forgot to make my reservations to go home next week before the 14 day advance, ( silly me, I only do this every week), so I went online and found a 286.00 fare on NW. I called the 1 K desk, told them of my situation that the least expensive thing on UA was $700.50 but only $ 286.00 on NW and much to my surprise, she found me my 14 day advance fare of $ 319.00. Asked if I wanted to upgrade, as per my profile and , Walla! all confirmed FC for the entire trip. Now lets see if I will get any food. Thats going to be different story.

------------------
Brian.... Calling all 1 K's...please visit www.1kflyers.com
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:02 pm

FFDOM, as a 1K , why did'nt you just upgrade your reservation when you made it using HK's or SWU and then just deduct 500 miles at the Airport if you did not have any other certs or coupons?

Just food for thought....

------------------
Brian.... Calling all 1 K's...please visit www.1kflyers.com
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MrMillion notes:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">When we were done talking, he asked me this: "Can you please tell me where you heard about UGS? I am supposed to document that." I told him I couldn't as I was bound to the code of silence. Omerta!</font>
ROTFLMAO! If I were running United, you would be invited solely based on that! Your character has been tested and ratified, you would be deemed worthy, and you would be given the sacred carbon card along with the secret handshake!

Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:51 pm
jss

Programs: UA 1P (1MM), AA PLT (2MM)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1K4LIFE:
after reading almost all the post that have been applied to this topic, I must say that there is still service and favors that are passed along to the little 1 K's. </font>
Same is also true to some extent to 1P's. This afternoon recd the following call from UA:
"Mr Jss, this is Mrs X from UA.. We see you are booked on UAxxx on Weds. Would you be interested in traveling 1 1/2 hours earlier--if so I can confirm you in 1'st class."

I know they have an oversold condition as I tried using a HK-49 and the flight has been listed at all 0's for the past month.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Thanks 1K4LIFE, the confirmed upgrade was requested but wasn't available even in December. It's only an A320 and I guess lots of folks are headed to DisneyWorld in January!
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
If I were running United, you would be invited solely based on that!</font>
What?

I'd put him on double secret probation!

All special service requests for the next year get manually processed by alumni of the IAD 1K room.

------------------
More Room Throughout Coach: the Website of Free Miles and Free Markets

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 01-06-2003).]
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
When I was a high revenue UA customer (20+ roundtrips a year in C/F Transatlantic) all I got ontop of standard 1K benefits was two additional systemwides every now and then that were valid on full fare Y/C. With the amount of miles I did anyway, this wasn't much of a perk as I couldn't spend the miles I earned quick enough. Let alone travel in full Y to upgrade to C...

Now I consider myself a moderate revenue customer. My company pays Y and on occasion C or F.

Special treatment would have been nice back then....

[This message has been edited by NickP 1K (edited 01-06-2003).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.