Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pilot of UA Fl #232 (Sioux City in '89- saved 189 lives), needs help saving daughter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot of UA Fl #232 (Sioux City in '89- saved 189 lives), needs help saving daughter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

I thought some those on this board would be interested in this... maybe some can help.
------------------------
http://www.kirotv.com/health/2700121/detail.html
------------------------
Hero Pilot Trying To Help Save Daughter's Life
------------------------

As the captain of United Flight 232, SeaTac-based pilot Al Haynes helped save 184 people when he guided his disabled plane in for a crash landing back in 1989.

Now he's asking for your help to save one more life.

Capt. Haynes says he didn't have time to be scared when his plane went down that day in Sioux City, Iowa. But now, he is scared because his only daughter will die without a desperately needed bone marrow transplant.

When Laurie Haynes Arguello, 39, was diagnosed with aplastic anemia two years ago the first thing she did, was call her father, Capt. Al Haynes.

"I just called dad and said, 'What do we do?'" Arguello said.

After two years of doctors appointments and transfusions, Arguello now needs a bone marrow transplant to survive.

She has a donor, but not the more than $200,000 needed to pay for an operation no fully covered by insurance.

It's a concern that keeps her awake at night.

"My son's nine. My husband and I have been together for over 20 years. I have a lot to live for," she said.

She has a lot of support from family and friends, who have launched a fund-raising campaign to save Arguello's life.

For Capt. Al Haynes, Laurie's is another life he desperately wants to save.......
------------------------------------------
Make a donation to National Foundation For Transplants at:
NFT for Lauria Arguella
P. O. Box 7781
Covington, WA 98042
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:44 am
Original Poster

For those that might not be familiar with United Flight 232, and have some time - read this:

http://www.panix.com/~jac/aviation/haynes.html
Old Dec 12, 2003, 8:23 am

If it wasn't illegal, they could have it done for a third of the cost in Cuba:

http://www.cubamagica.com/paginas/tras03.htm

(in Spanish, use Altavista or Google to translate)
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:32 am

I met Capt. Haynes at ORD once. He pretty much walks on water among UA folks... really down to earth guy, though. My thoughts are with him and his daughter.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:42 am

Capt. Al Haynes spoke at the annual NW Aviation Expo in Puyallup, WA one February a few years back and retold the tale of the "Sioux City" flight; very inspirational and moving... this man was and is a real "hero" in my book. Wouldn't hurt me a bit to pony up $50 for this woman. Thanks for posting the link, don't watch the TV news anymore.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
I am in for $100.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

For those that may still wish to donate - you can now do so online securely at:

www.transplants.org look for Patient Campaigns and click on Laurie Arguello. (Click on the link in the upper left to find Laurie’s name.)

I tossed myself in for $100 as well.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 12:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mymiles2go:
For those that may still wish to donate - you can now do so online securely at:

www.transplants.org look for Patient Campaigns and click on Laurie Arguello. (Click on the link in the upper left to find Laurie’s name.)

I tossed myself in for $100 as well.
</font>
She's actually on the frontpage of this website. However; message states that due to overwhelming response the website cannot accept donations via the web - you must call (800) 489-3863 or in the Memphis Area: (901) 684-1697. (message as of 11:03 PM PST).

Thanks for the heads-up. Although I don't know this person, less than 5 minutes and some $$ seems to be able to help.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:32 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
It's been a long time since I've posted here, even though I am still a 1K. Captain Haynes is indeed a hero, along with the entire crew of flight 232 all those years ago. I would encourage everyone to give what they can to help this man and his family. Let's use our online community to do a little good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.