Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mandatory 12 hour hold for star alliance rewards?

Mandatory 12 hour hold for star alliance rewards?

Old Jan 27, 11, 5:12 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by IslandSkies View Post
The only thing we can do is wait for 12 hours from time of booking to make sure the seats haven't cancelled out. The problem is limited strictly to LH/SK and is less about rules than a technical glitch between LH/SK systems and UAs. We didn't used to have the 12 hour rule with them for *A awards, and for LH it doesn't exist for revenue tickets. But for some reason with *A bookings they've been occasionally coming back UC (unconfirmed), sometimes right before the 12 hour mark, and if we issued the ticket before that (or re-issued in the case of changes) LH/SK are turning customers away at the airport because their system shows the space as cancelled. It is a known technical error that has existed for months now and LH/SK say they are trying to fix it but has not happened yet so I guess it's low priority for them.
I booked a few LH awards this week. Of the several agents I spoke with during the process, only one or two mentioned or tried to enforce the 12-hour rule. All of the other agents either didn't know or didn't care. (N.B. Based on the accents of the agents with whom I spoke, the Philippines agents enforced the rule sometimes, and the Indian and U.S. agents never.)

In any event, although some of these flights were apparently ticketed prematurely, several days have now passed and the LH website still shows the tickets as confirmed (when using the LH record locator).

Am I correct to assume this means the risk of a cancellation has passed? Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 11, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Speaking of record locators. Since my flights are a UA/LH combo, which locator should I be going by to make sure it's actually confirmed? Of course if I call LH for seat assignments & can't get one, I'll know there's a problem

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 11, 5:16 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Speaking of record locators. Since my flights are a UA/LH combo, which locator should I be going by to make sure it's actually confirmed? Of course if I call LH for seat assignments & can't get one, I'll know there's a problem

Cheers.
When I speak with LH or use the LH website, I use the LH locator. UA locator when speaking with UA.
Old Jan 27, 11, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Called UA hoping for HNL, but got Miss No Nonsense & not friendly. Having said that, she seemed to be Ms Efficient which is fine. I said I had a question given there were 2 flights showing for the one segment. She said which one do you want to drop. I told her, but I repeated I was confused why they were both showing & didn't want to screw up the overall itinerary. She said it wouldn't, dropped the one flight & then ticketed the entire thing (less than the 12 hours that this morning's guy said but more than 12 hours from the original itinerary before I asked for the change).

Since she was able to assign seats on all but one leg (which was an OS leg), I'm assuming the ticket is good to go.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 11, 1:35 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Hmmm... Late last year (December) I tried to ticket a mixed UA/LH itin on .bomb. Got all the way through to the end and hit the "purchase" button, and got an error message. Which told me to call (web support). I called, and they said they would work on ticketing it.

Since the UA flight was NF, I called the 1K desk to get the miles+copay upgrade. She noticed it wasn't ticketed, and "took care of it". Flight shows confirmed on both UA and LH websites, upgrade confirmed into NF.

On my MP Visa bill this month, there was the ticket charge, along with a $25 "extra" charge the same day. I called, got routed around, and they eventually agreed that a 1K shouldn't be charged a ticketing fee, and that it would be credited.

I'm wondering now, after having read this thread, if I might have gotten tangled up in a 12 hour hold?
Old Jan 28, 11, 1:54 am

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
I booked a few LH awards this week. Of the several agents I spoke with during the process, only one or two mentioned or tried to enforce the 12-hour rule. All of the other agents either didn't know or didn't care. (N.B. Based on the accents of the agents with whom I spoke, the Philippines agents enforced the rule sometimes, and the Indian and U.S. agents never.)

In any event, although some of these flights were apparently ticketed prematurely, several days have now passed and the LH website still shows the tickets as confirmed (when using the LH record locator).

Am I correct to assume this means the risk of a cancellation has passed? Thanks!
If the LH (or SK for that matter) *A award seat still shows confirmed after it's been in the record for 12 hours you're safe. All other *A seats are good immediately upon booking. Then you just have to make sure the ticket itself is issued before the carrier-specific deadline.
Old Jan 28, 11, 2:05 am

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer View Post
Hmmm... Late last year (December) I tried to ticket a mixed UA/LH itin on .bomb. Got all the way through to the end and hit the "purchase" button, and got an error message. Which told me to call (web support). I called, and they said they would work on ticketing it.

Since the UA flight was NF, I called the 1K desk to get the miles+copay upgrade. She noticed it wasn't ticketed, and "took care of it". Flight shows confirmed on both UA and LH websites, upgrade confirmed into NF.

On my MP Visa bill this month, there was the ticket charge, along with a $25 "extra" charge the same day. I called, got routed around, and they eventually agreed that a 1K shouldn't be charged a ticketing fee, and that it would be credited.

I'm wondering now, after having read this thread, if I might have gotten tangled up in a 12 hour hold?

The LH 12 hour hold issue only applies to *A award seats. For revenue seats with LH, AC, CO, and US we can ticket right away. All other carriers, *A and non-*A alike require 12 hours for revenue seats. All *A awards besides LH/SK can ticket right away. Very confusing at times to keep track of which is why some agents either don't know or don't bother to do it the way they're supposed to.
Old Mar 7, 11, 6:05 pm

Just booked SZX-PEK for this month and returning PEK-HKG next month. The ticket was issued immediately with a United as well as Air China confirmation number plus the UA ticket number.

As an aside, North Asia to South Asia cost me 20,000 miles last year. The above ticket cost 25,000 miles. Did they raise the levels this year? The above reward ticket is listed as North Asia to North Asia on my account when they debited the miles.
Old Mar 7, 11, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by doesun View Post
Just booked SZX-PEK for this month and returning PEK-HKG next month. The ticket was issued immediately with a United as well as Air China confirmation number plus the UA ticket number.

As an aside, North Asia to South Asia cost me 20,000 miles last year. The above ticket cost 25,000 miles. Did they raise the levels this year? The above reward ticket is listed as North Asia to North Asia on my account when they debited the miles.
It's one of the oddities of the award chart, but Hong Kong is considered part of South Asia. Your SZX-PEK is North Asia to North Asia so they charged you that rate. You could've booked it as two one-ways and saved yourself 2500 miles, but unless you're a 1K you'd be tagged with the additional booking fee.
Old Mar 7, 11, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Maybe a little off topic, but is this 12-hour hold typical for revenue tickets with *A legs included? Booked SFO-KIX-HND last night and was told to call back today to pay and get the ticket issued, because the KIX-HND leg on NH required a 12 hour wait. Not really a big deal, except that the return KIX-SFO, which had been showing NC1, went to NC0 before I could get the ticket issued and apply for an upgrade. Oh well, at least I got the outbound.

Also, I wasn't able to get W fares online. Selecting "Systemwide, Region 2" kept bringing back L fares, so I called and was able to get the phone booking fee waived. Is that another typical issue when there's a codeshare segment? Thanks
Old Mar 7, 11, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by doesun View Post
I was told last month by an agent that *A award availability is now "live," so what an agent sees is what is available at that moment. I was also offered to ticket immediately.

Originally Posted by greathustle View Post
Maybe a little off topic, but is this 12-hour hold typical for revenue tickets with *A legs included? Booked SFO-KIX-HND last night and was told to call back today to pay and get the ticket issued, because the KIX-HND leg on NH required a 12 hour wait....
I think this is still true for revenue tickets, because those seat inventories are still handled by each airline's own CRSs rather than a common clearing house for *A awards. Just guessing though, because the ability to ticket an award ticket immediately was a revelation that I discovered only last month.
Old Mar 7, 11, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by greathustle View Post
Maybe a little off topic, but is this 12-hour hold typical for revenue tickets with *A legs included? Booked SFO-KIX-HND last night and was told to call back today to pay and get the ticket issued, because the KIX-HND leg on NH required a 12 hour wait. Not really a big deal, except that the return KIX-SFO, which had been showing NC1, went to NC0 before I could get the ticket issued and apply for an upgrade. Oh well, at least I got the outbound.

Also, I wasn't able to get W fares online. Selecting "Systemwide, Region 2" kept bringing back L fares, so I called and was able to get the phone booking fee waived. Is that another typical issue when there's a codeshare segment? Thanks
At this point the mandatory 12 hour hold for *A award tickets should only apply to SK flights.
Old Mar 13, 11, 1:55 pm

Programs: us airways sp, delta, amtrak
cc before 12 hours?

I just booked a reward flight on SK from OSL to EWR. The reservation agent said I needed to call back after 12 hours to ticket the reservation. I guess that is not surprising. But she did not take my credit card information (for taxes and phone reservation fee). She said I should provide it once the seat availability has been confirmed. Is something amiss?

Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 11, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by phl82 View Post
I just booked a reward flight on SK from OSL to EWR. The reservation agent said I needed to call back after 12 hours to ticket the reservation. I guess that is not surprising. But she did not take my credit card information (for taxes and phone reservation fee). She said I should provide it once the seat availability has been confirmed. Is something amiss?

Thanks.
Nope - you should be good. UA will collect the taxes / fees when you call back to confirm that it was confirmed.
Old Mar 13, 11, 6:43 pm
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
I got the 12 hour speach booking a TG segment recently. They don't really need 12 hours, they just need the airline to respond to the request. I called back the next day and ticketed (same day I flew)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: