Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cancel fully refundable ticket after departure?

Old Jul 16, 10, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever

I'm looking at buying a fully refundable C ticket which I may not need to use. The rules say "AFTER DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED." Is this really true? How long do I have to apply for a refund? I'd hate to not show up and then be on the hook for thousands of dollars.
Old Jul 16, 10, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by dfreeman02 View Post
I'm looking at buying a fully refundable C ticket which I may not need to use. The rules say "AFTER DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED." Is this really true? How long do I have to apply for a refund? I'd hate to not show up and then be on the hook for thousands of dollars.
not sure whether there is a time limit on when you refund them but you definitively refund them after departure. If you're that worried I imagine you'd be able to find 5min sometime in the hours leading up to departure to give UA a call and cancel the ticket should you not need it.
Old Jul 16, 10, 8:54 am

If you make the reservation on .bomb you can also have him do the refund for you so as long as you are not checked in.
Old Jul 16, 10, 9:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Refundable tickets do not have the same "if you don't show or don't call" restrictions as many non-refundable tickets do. You can definitely no-show and get a refund after scheduled departure and I don't believe there is any time limit as to when you can request the refund.
Old Jul 16, 10, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by gomike View Post
If you make the reservation on .bomb you can also have him do the refund for you so as long as you are not checked in.
Also after departure?
Old Jul 16, 10, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Tickets are generally valid for 1 yr from issuance. I would assume you have 364 days from the issuance date to cancel.

My personal experience has included checking in for a flight, no-showing, and refunding months later with no questions asked.

It's important to read the fare rules, but I would assume, unless they say differently, that the above is likely the case for your ticket.
Old Jul 16, 10, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Tickets issued with fully refundable fares have up to one year after the expiration of the ticket to request a refund otherwise the ticket has no value. Fees associated with ticket purchases are not refundable. In circumstances where customers purchased tickets using a credit card, United will submit refund requests to the credit card issuer within seven business days. The credit card issuer in turn will refund the purchase price of the ticket under terms of the credit card agreement. Due to various billing cycles, a credit card statement may not reflect a refund immediately.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: