Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pain of traveling on an award ticket. Should I ask for compensation?

Pain of traveling on an award ticket. Should I ask for compensation?

Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by warreng24
The page referenced by denverhockeyguy is for SAVER awards only. Those Terms and Conditions are for SAVER awards only.

So, no they are not out of date. There are no one-way SAVER awards on Star Alliance carriers.
It is for both Saver and Star Alliance awards. There are most definitely one-way Saver awards. A Saver award, by definition, is on UA metal. There is no such thing as a "saver award on Star Alliance carrier", and there's no need to scream.

Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Not out of date. I do agree the wording could be better and its from the current website. First line references both Saver & *A. One-way awards are not permitted on *A, correct?
It's absolutely out of date. As stated above, there are most definitely one-way Saver awards.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Two years I used US miles for a Business Class award ticket PHL-IAD-EZE on UA metal with US stock. The PHL-IAD UAX flight was canceled and there was no way to get me to IAD that day to catch my international connection to EZE. UA 1K reservation phone agent and ticket agent at PHL could/would not help me (no UA flight available / they could/would not re-route me to another carrier). I called US they were able to re-route me PHL-JFK on DL and JFK-EZE on AA. Both legs were booked in full revenue fares and got the miles on AA and DL programs with COS and full fare bonus.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Two weeks ago.. I was traveling on AA award ticket (sorry No UA).

ATL-DFW-YYZ

Weather delay in DFW of my first flight. Missed my connection (last flight of the day).

AA was willing to give me AC nonstop(next morning 6am) / UA connection (next morning). But I choose AA to ORD on same night and AA ORD-YYZ next day. Spent the night in Chicago with my family.

AA treated me the same. No mention about award ticket. Maybe AA has different rules.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by camachinist
Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll book this quite circuitous re-route in mileage earning Y
No dice there It's happened to me in the past (award rebooked in full Y), but since the ticket # (or PNR) is associated with a mileage ticket, I got no miles.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:23 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I won't be getting any miles from the rerouting...I logged in and saw that they have rebooked me in XY...just not my day, I guess.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jtn
I won't be getting any miles from the rerouting...I logged in and saw that they have rebooked me in XY...just not my day, I guess.

Even if they book you into a revenue class, you wouldn't get miles. UA's systems are very good about that.

I've been rerouted/bumped/rebooked/etc. on award tickets a few times on UA -- none of them generated miles.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:36 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by channa
UA can most definitely transfer an award ticket to another carrier. Though I've heard this line before, so there must be some outdated rule that used to prevent it.

[/I]
Possibly the rule on the ticket in the endorsement restrictions area itself? Generic alliance policies and specific ticket rules pertaining to a specific ticket...who wins out?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
Possibly the rule on the ticket in the endorsement restrictions area itself? Generic alliance policies and specific ticket rules pertaining to a specific ticket...who wins out?

I would have to think the alliance wins out. Otherwise the carrier could put rules into place to circumvent alliance rules, which would defeat the purpose of the alliance.

For example, I don't think a carrier can publish a fare that said "STAR GOLD BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE DOES NOT APPLY." And if they did, I don't think they could get away with charging a *G for baggage that's within the published *G allowance.

If the carrier wants that Star logo on their planes, and the ability to earn all the bookings that come along with it, then they should have to follow Star rules.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:47 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I would have to think the alliance wins out. Otherwise the carrier could put rules into place to circumvent alliance rules, which would defeat the purpose of the alliance.

For example, I don't think a carrier can publish a fare that said "STAR GOLD BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE DOES NOT APPLY." And if they did, I don't think they could get away with charging a *G for baggage that's within the published *G allowance.

If the carrier wants that Star logo on their planes, and the ability to earn all the bookings that come along with it, then they should have to follow Star rules.
And can you show me the contract that you as a star customer has that stipulates such, as opposed to the rule on the ticket that you have with the specific carrier? I am betting there is no such contract that a customer has with any alliance. The contract one has is with the carrier that is operating the flight, and to some extent, that issues the ticket.

Linking a FAQ section of a guideline page for employees of the respective carriers sure as heck constitutes no contract with a passenger. On the other hand, the terms and conditions of the specific ticket sure do.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
And can you show me the contract that you as a star customer has that stipulates such, as opposed to the rule on the ticket that you have with the specific carrier? I am betting there is no such contract that a customer has with any alliance. The contract one has is with the carrier that is operating the flight, and to some extent, that issues the ticket.

Linking a FAQ section of a guideline page for employees of the respective carriers sure as heck constitutes no contract with a passenger. On the other hand, the terms and conditions of the specific ticket sure do.
It's between the carrier and the alliance, not between the customer and the carrier. The customer is a UA customer, not a Star customer. Though UA is a Star carrier, so it needs to follow Star procedures.

It's just like any alliance, partnership, franchise, or whatever. If McDonald's says thou shalt sell Chicken McNuggets, doesn't matter what any independent store operator says. He has to sell Chicken McNuggets, unless there's a procedure for exempting him. Either that, or pull the golden arches off the side of the building.

Similarly, if you buy a mega-restricted ticket from one of the Euro carriers, perhaps one that says no changes, it doesn't matter that it says no changes. *A says to rebook in an IRROP, so you rebook in an IRROP.

I know UA doesn't like to send over award tickets (presumably at no dollar value, these are more expensive to send over), but they certainly can be sent over, and agents have certainly done it before.

I can't seem to find the reference, but I recall something that HeathrowGuy posted saying that *A considers award tickets the same as revenue tickets. That's why I think the notion that UA sometimes has about not sending these over may be outdated.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Though UA is a Star carrier, so it needs to follow Star procedures.
At least in some areas, policies differ even between carriers in the same alliance. For example, LH, LX, etc. all restrict carry-ons to no more than 8kg, while UA has no such restriction.

If McDonald's says thou shalt sell Chicken McNuggets, doesn't matter what any independent store operator says. He has to sell Chicken McNuggets, unless there's a procedure for exempting him.
At least in this case, that is incorrect. Franchisees are allowed to exclude items and set their own prices; they are not required to sell every item on the McDonald's menu, the only stipulation is that what they do sell has to be prepared with McDonald's-purchased ingredients and in a McDonald's-prescribed fashion. The price and availability is up to the franchisee. That's why almost every promotion says, "Available at participating stores only." Not all stores may choose to participate, although in practice, the vast majority do.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by camachinist
Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll book this quite circuitous re-route in mileage earning Y

Oh, forgot...as a 1K, definitely share your misfortune with the 1K desk. Maybe they'll ease your pain with some RDM's, since this is a RDM award situation. Can't hurt...
You'll notice in post #6, OP already mentioned 1k desk tried to offer him $250 ecert or 10000 RDM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:27 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Even if they book you into a revenue class, you wouldn't get miles. UA's systems are very good about that.

I've been rerouted/bumped/rebooked/etc. on award tickets a few times on UA -- none of them generated miles.
I've had occasional experiences to the contrary during IRROPS and re-bookings, getting actual miles on award tickets. YMMV

OP, this is worth a very strenuous complaint to UA, and should net you a good amount of RDMs at a minimum. Surprising that they couldn't figure out a way to get a 1K to their destination. (I've been doing a lot of mileage ticket flying recently, and have been very impressed with how well I have been treated by UA--they aren't required to do much, but they know it's in their best interests to make you happy given your flying pattern)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I feel sad for the OP, hope things turn out better. I always thought that if there were any invol changes within 24 hrs of departure then agents could override award inventory/re-route especially if at the gate.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:01 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I'm back @ PDX now. The RCC is closed but thank god for free wi-fi @ PDX. (Have to admit that this is a nice airport)

Yes, the 1K desk has sent me an email offering some good-will compensation. I have to choose among $250 Ecert (domestic), 20% off any flight or 10K RDM. I think I will choose the 20% discount, as I rarely fly domestic.

I am thinking to ask the gate agent if she/he could irrop me up...this would be my first time ever asking for an op-up at the gate. Hopefully, my luck turns tonight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.