Wiki Posts
Search

Using Miles vs Buying a Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
Using Miles vs Buying a Ticket

I have a dilemma... should I use 65K miles to redeem an economy ticket or buy it for ~$1800?

Option 1: Use 65K miles for the round-trip ticket
Option 2: Use my 20% off cert (expiring soon anyway) on United to buy a non-stop ticket for ~$1800, which will net ~15600 EQM roundtrip
Option 3: Buy a ticket on Continental with a similar fare, but with longer travel time and 1 stop, which will get me ~26300 EQM due to the higher fare class

Both the United and Continental options will give me enough EQM for 2P next year. On the other hand, $1800 is quite a lot of $$

Thoughts?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Depends?

Of course the answer depends up your circumstances:

1) 65k / $1800 is an OK redemption rate..worse than some XC rates, better than most XY rates.

2,3) This is a fairly expensive way to get miles. The missing part of the equation is the value of 2P. Even w/ lower UDU rates, you get E+, free bags, priority lines in many places...it's a lot better than GM. When you figure out what 2P is worth to you, you will know the answer.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: UA
Really depends. I will redeem the miles if it is more than $0.02/mile.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:20 am

Another option

Use miles for your trip. Quickly look at the Tware offerings, book three r/ts from LAX/SFO to Australia for around $ 600.00 ea., total $ 1800, which will net you around 50k EQMs plus bonus miles depending on your status. Use your UA Visa card and rake in even more miles. But better hurry, Twares go fast.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Use miles for your trip. Quickly look at the Tware offerings, book three r/ts from LAX/SFO to Australia for around $ 600.00 ea., total $ 1800, which will net you around 50k EQMs plus bonus miles depending on your status. Use your UA Visa card and rake in even more miles. But better hurry, Twares go fast.
It sounds like the OP has somewhere to go and is trying to figure out the best way to get there. Spending 80 hours in 747 Y in order to earn a few upgrades probably isn't part of that picture.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Flight Change Fee

Sorry if this is off topic. I booked a one-way saver award HKG-SFO on UA next month. Do they charge $150 change fee if I switch my flight to SQ? Same origin/destination and same date.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:00 am

Programs: United 1K Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
It sounds like the OP has somewhere to go and is trying to figure out the best way to get there. Spending 80 hours in 747 Y in order to earn a few upgrades probably isn't part of that picture.
80 hours in 747 Y sounds like the punishment for shoplifting in some countries.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by uclasfo
Sorry if this is off topic. I booked a one-way saver award HKG-SFO on UA next month. Do they charge $150 change fee if I switch my flight to SQ? Same origin/destination and same date.

Thanks.
I think they only do one-way award for UA metal, not SQ.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by riant
I have a dilemma... should I use 65K miles to redeem an economy ticket or buy it for ~$1800?

Option 1: Use 65K miles for the round-trip ticket
Option 2: Use my 20% off cert (expiring soon anyway) on United to buy a non-stop ticket for ~$1800, which will net ~15600 EQM roundtrip
Option 3: Buy a ticket on Continental with a similar fare, but with longer travel time and 1 stop, which will get me ~26300 EQM due to the higher fare class

Both the United and Continental options will give me enough EQM for 2P next year. On the other hand, $1800 is quite a lot of $$

Thoughts?
If you need it for 2P and your time has value, a revenue ticket is the smart play. If you're not too tall and Continental's regular economy seats are fine, I'd probably pick the CO flight over the UA flight. If E+ matters, pick the United non-stop flight. 2P has value and paying a little more isn't that bad.

Also, it's not clear if you plan to fly this year or next year. If it's this year and you still have SWUs from your 1K status, I'd pick the UA flight and upgrade it. Otherwise, my answer above applies.

Originally Posted by uclasfo

Thanks.
One way awards are UA-metal only.

Last edited by unavaca; Jul 9, 2010 at 2:55 am
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
No one asked it yet.....

But can you spare the $1800.00? That would be a good chunk of change for me right now.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
No one asked it yet.....

But can you spare the $1800.00? That would be a good chunk of change for me right now.
and for me as well and that to me is the key.

if one is "flush" and can afford the $1,800 +/- and needs the eqm's, then it's a no brainer but if money is tight then i say go for the miles option. i recently (3 weeks ago) had a situation where i needed to get to bos on short notice and the fare was quite expensive (in other words, nothing left but b & y) and i simply could not afford it (even using certs) as i'm not working so i used miles (had i been working, i would have done it as i could have used the eqm's and cos eqm's). this is truly a ymmv situation where you have to look at all the options and choose which is best for you (both from a dollars & cents standpoint and from an eqm standpoint)
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Depend whose $$ is this, if someone is paying for it buy ticket, I will use miles.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
This is a no-brainer in my view.....use the miles. You get 2.76 cents/mile in value (personally, I'd use miles at about half that rate). I do agree with gregas that you need to assess the value of 2P vs. 1P (assuming you already are or will qualify for 1P regardless of your decision to use miles or cash). In my view, paying $1800 to simply receive additional upgrade possibilities is not worth it.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:29 am
In Memoriam

$$$

I think it has been determined that the op is paying the freight.

I try to figure miles vs $$s as 25k miles vs $400.00 which is .016 cents per mile.

So the $1800 fare for 65k miles I think is a good reason to use your miles.

Of course as mentioned above...can you afford the $$$s. That is the overriding consideration.

I think that I would book using miles.

bg
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
Thanks for all the responses. To answer some of the questions, I'm going to be paying out of my own pocket, flying in August (peak season hence the high ticket price) and still have SWUs left.

$$-wise I can pay for it, but am hesitant coz I'll be going back to school as a student soon, which means no income for a while... just thought it's going to be tough to drop from 1K to no status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.