Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can't waitlist for F on UA if itinerary includes a *A flight?

Old Jun 30, 10, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

In 2006, I booked a C saver award 10 months in advance for DEN-SYD. The domestic segments (DEN-LAX/SFO-DEN) did not have F award space available, so I was waitlisted for NF. Eventually the space opened up and I was upgraded.

This week I booked a C saver award DEN-LAX-SYD-AKL/SYD-SFO-DEN for April 2010. Again, the domestic segments do not have any F award space available so I'm booked in Y. The agent says however she cannot waitlist me for F because my itinerary includes a non-UA flight (the SYD-AKL on Air New Zealand). If the itinerary is all UA I can waitlist for F, but not in this case because of the NZ tag on. This is news to me!

Is the agent correct? If so, is there a link on UA's website that states this policy? Do I have to monitor NF inventory on the domestic segments and call in when I see NF>1?
Old Jun 30, 10, 2:37 pm

Yes. No waitlisting on any award that has a *A segment. I also believe that means you're not eligible for FFCC at the airport. So if its booked Y, you're flying Y, regardless what you paid.

You will have to monitor inventory.

FYI:

Waitlisting: Not permitted on Star Alliance airlines. Waitlisting is permitted on United Airlines-only itineraries.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...lliance+Awards

Last edited by denverhockeyguy; Jun 30, 10 at 2:45 pm
Old Jun 30, 10, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yes agent is correct, you can't waitlist. From the website:

Waitlisting: Not permitted on Star Alliance airlines. Waitlisting is permitted on United Airlines-only itineraries.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...lliance+Awards

Also, you need XF inventory, not NF (NF is for upgrades from paid tickets). You should monitor yourself and call back when it opens up.
Old Jun 30, 10, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PRO 1MM, BA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy View Post
I also believe that means you're not eligible for FFCC at the airport.
I recently flew a *A award with the first segment on United. Out of the five segments that I had, four were in business on TG/NH and the (shortest one), a domestic hop on UA, was in economy.

At the airport, I had no problem getting on FFCC. It was a transcon on an A319; tho I jumped to the top of the list and cleared, my wife did not clear so we ended up being split between first and coach.

To my astonishment, I offered the guy in 6A my first class seat so that my wife and I could sit together in coach, and he declined... telling me that he would rather be in economy! I can't imagine! Luckily, the guy in 6C just about leapt out of his seat when I made the offer so we were able to grab two seats together in the end.

But that's all another story - long story short, I don't think you should have any problem getting on FFCC with a *A award.
Old Jun 30, 10, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by jkm024 View Post

But that's all another story - long story short, I don't think you should have any problem getting on FFCC with a *A award.
My experiences as well.
Old Jun 30, 10, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold
To my astonishment, I offered the guy in 6A my first class seat so that my wife and I could sit together in coach, and he declined... telling me that he would rather be in economy! I can't imagine!
Perhaps because you were holding seat 1D
Old Jun 30, 10, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by fzwinter View Post
My experiences as well.
And mine, as well. On last month's jaunt to TLV in C (yay!), there was no XF space on the final segment (DFW-SFO), so we got booked into NY. XF space opened up while in TLV, so I called UA (thank goodness for Skype) and got immediately booked into the now-available XF space. If they'll do it over the phone, it also means you'd qualify for FFCC.

I, too, was also told that they wouldn't waitlist any portion of the itinerary, even the final UA-only segment, if it contained any *A flights.
Old Jun 30, 10, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
To my astonishment, I offered the guy in 6A my first class seat so that my wife and I could sit together in coach, and he declined...
Sounds like he wanted to sit next to your wife!
Old Jul 1, 10, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC *S, Marriott Plat....
Fiancee and I are flying F award tomorrow but first leg is Y. We are waitlisted for F but it has not cleared. Should I OLCI at 24hours or wait until I get to airport if I am waitlisted?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: