Do E-Cert expire? Are they worth anything?

Old Jun 29, 10, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Do E-Cert expire? Are they worth anything?

Hi,

I received several E-Cert last year from customer service but never got a chance to use those since United.com flights always seemed to be overpriced compared when I tried to book with these E-Cert. The E-Certs really are series of number so I am not sure if they expire. Mine have face value of $400 and $150. So are they worth anything? Can they be sold or given away?

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 10, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Normally, they expire one year after issuance..
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
....given away? ...
Customer Service e-certs (for a UA cause problem) are usually good from 1 year of the original event and they are transferable.

Are these paper or electronic certs?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 10 at 12:12 pm Reason: spellling
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA-1K , AA PLAT, Marriott Platinum
If its something you got in a email, they expire 1 yr from issue. And AFAIK they can be transferred and ticket can be booked under any name. Remember to read the T&C's...
Old Jun 29, 10, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Hi,

I received several E-Cert last year from customer service but never got a chance to use those since United.com flights always seemed to be overpriced compared when I tried to book with these E-Cert. The E-Certs really are series of number so I am not sure if they expire. Mine have face value of $400 and $150. So are they worth anything? Can they be sold or given away?

Thanks.
As others have already said, they do expire one yr from the issuing date. E-certs usually come in the form of some email that will have a link to the T&Cs in it as well.

All e-certs I ever had stipulated that you actually have to book and travel one yr from issuance but I and others have found that as long as you ticket your itin before expiry of the voucher you're good to go.
Old Jun 29, 10, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

They are electronic vouchers. I have purged my emails and all I have are the e-Cert numbers in PDF files:

Name: XXX XXXX XXXX
$150 E-Certificate
E-Cert number: XXXXXX

Name: XXX XXXX XXXX
$400 E-Certificate
E-Cert number: XXXXXX

I guess I have to call them up to find out when that expire. (Probably in Aug, 2010).

Last edited by yoyo; Jun 29, 10 at 2:52 pm
Old Jun 29, 10, 6:33 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Glad you were able to find assistance with your question.

A friendly suggestion would be to keep in mind that selling e-certs is a no-no with UA and may result in penalties to your Mileage Plus account.

Also, selling or offering your certs on FlyerTalk are also not allowed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...forum-267.html

Good luck!

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Search this Thread
Search Engine: