Buy miles at 15/20% off

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Buy miles at 15/20% off

New offer received via email this evening:

Dear Mr gottaluvNW,

Are you just shy of an award ticket? You can purchase the miles you need to top off your account, and for a limited time, you can do it for less!

Buy miles for less and get to your next award faster.

Now through July 31, buy miles at the reduced price of 2.5 cents per mile, a savings of more than 15%!

Here's what you need to know:
• You can purchase up to 60,000 miles per calendar year in 1,000-mile increments.
• The miles purchased do not count toward elite status.
• Purchases include a $35 transaction fee and 7.5% excise tax.

Hurry - this offer ends at 11:59 p.m. CDT on July 31, 2010. To make sure you receive this special price, you MUST use the link below to complete your purchase.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:19 am

At 2.5cpm I doubt anyone here will be excited. I still find it interesting that UA included the cpm calculation in the email, I don't remember anything like that in previous emails. If people start thinking in cpm terms it might not work out very well for United
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
20% off

Got the the offer at 20% off off but still will not bite.
Buy miles for less and get to your next award faster.

Now through July 31, buy miles and receive a 20% bonus on your purchase. For example, get an additional 2,000 miles for every 10,000 miles you buy.

Here's what you need to know:
You can purchase up to 60,000 miles per calendar year in 1,000-mile increments.
The miles purchased do not count toward elite status.
Purchases include a $35 transaction fee and 7.5% excise tax.

Hurry - this offer ends at 11:59 p.m. CDT on July 31, 2010. To make sure you receive the 20% bonus, you MUST use the link below to complete your purchase.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
2.5 cents per mile is equal to a 20% bonus which is equal to a savings of more than 15% (16.666...%, actually). To clarify, neither of these identical offers is for 20% off.

I wonder if they're doing an experiment on people's perception of value.

Last edited by fadeforward; Jun 29, 2010 at 12:39 am Reason: clarity
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by fadeforward
I wonder if they're doing an experiment on people's perception of value.
I think you have hit something. In my email it is clearly bolded: To make sure you receive the 20% bonus, you MUST use the link below to complete your purchase. The "MUST" in all caps is theirs not mine.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United has done this before -- sending out mileage purchase offers with different bonus/discount and/or waiving the service fee or not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...may-apply.html

some other reduced cost mileage offers in 2009
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...mber-31-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-0-025-mi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...les-025-a.html
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I got the same email with a rate of 3cpm ... which i believe is no discount at all ... they certainly didn't mention a discount in the email at all ...

very interesting ... i wonder how they decide who gets a discount and who doesn't ...

Drek
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Drek82
I got the same email with a rate of 3cpm ... which i believe is no discount at all ... they certainly didn't mention a discount in the email at all ...

very interesting ... i wonder how they decide who gets a discount and who doesn't ...

Drek
So we're probably looking at classic test/control experiment - we have 15% off group, 20% bonus group, and control group that gets no incentive at all.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by bbelovic
So we're probably looking at classic test/control experiment - we have 15% off group, 20% bonus group, and control group that gets no incentive at all.
I'm in the 20% bonus group. What does that make me?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Anyone willing to share the 20% off link? I might buy 5K or so to top up an account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.