Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Window For International Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Question Upgrade Window For International Flights?

Waiting patiently (not!!) for upgrade to clear. When does the window open?

I am traveling on a 2 leg trip where the first leg is a single class jungle jet connecting to wide body TATL. I am wait listed for the TATL

Does the window open X hours before start of the journey or start of the upgradeable leg? I know X varies based on status.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm Reason: less vague thread titles, please
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:58 pm

There is no upgrade window on INTL flights. If you're using miles or SWUs, you will clear as soon as upgrade space is open (if it ever opens).
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

OK - thanks
I feel a call to Reservations coming on to see what gives since they said that I should clear today and there is plenty space showing.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by steviebas
OK - thanks
I feel a call to Reservations coming on to see what gives since they said that I should clear today and there is plenty space showing.
If you are waitlisted for NC or NF and see NC/NF call NOW before someone else gets it.

I've had "stuck" upgrades before that cleared immediately upon calling (domestic though, not international).

Now if you just see C/F, well, you'll still be waiting...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd love to know what the person at UA who told you your International upgrade would clear on a specific date was thinking (assuming you didn't mis-understand). International upgrades either clear at the time of booking/request or they don't and go into a queue, which clears based on MP status, fare bucket, and time added to waitlist. A call to UA reservations isn't going to likely help; if there's no NC (for Business) or NF (for First) space open, the upgrade queue isn't going to get touched.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Just spoke to a someone in the Indian sub-continent who says:

You will get an email shortly confirming you have cleared
No I cant clear you yet but you are on the "Priority List"

This is what I was told yesterday when I called and they said, you will clear tomorrow.

Interestingly 100% different from 4 days ago when the info was "there are 10 seats available and 20 ahead of you on the list".

Have seen that CO have a real time upgrade status list on their website. Sure be nice if UA/CO merger keeps that!!

-----------
Added info - I am flying tomorrow so maybe it is as FlyinHawaiian says, I am just in the queue and its starting to clear within 24hrs of departure?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Does the window open X hours before start of the journey or start of the upgradeable leg? I know X varies based on status.
As other have mentioned, a time window for upgrades is only for domestic flights. There is no time window for international flights.

Clearing the waitlist is a matter of availability of NC/NF, status, original booking class and time of request. You did not mention your status (or is Premier 2P?), but all GS will clear first, then all 1Ks, then 1Ps, .... The type of upgrade instrument does not matter.

Additionally are you a single traveller or are there multiple people on the PNR? That can make clearing more difficult if there are multiple passengers.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
Also,

It would be good to know how you are upgrading. There is no UDU (automatic upgrade) on the international portion of the flight but is on the domestic portion. If you are upgrading the international portion, your upgrade is either through an SWU and w class or greater fare or miles+$copay.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UpgradeMePlz
...It would be good to know how you are upgrading. ....
I think it is commonly accepted on FT that type of upgrade instrument does not matter. The upgrade instrument if it does not clear gets you on the upgrade list and that's it.

OP did say the TATL was waitlisted and the domestic segment is a single-class ac.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
No I cant clear you yet but you are on the "Priority List"
I love it when they say this. There is only one waitlist now, so everyone is on the "priority waitlist".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.