Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why Does C/NC Space Show For Domestic (non p.s.) UA Flights? [Merged]

Why Does C/NC Space Show For Domestic (non p.s.) UA Flights? [Merged]

Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IIRC, for flights to mexico NC=NF
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
For some reason UA sells the F cabin on 2 class planes as C class on flights to Mexico. If you pull up the buckets you'll notice there's no F bucket.. it begins with C.

However you'll also see this phenomenon on 2 class domestic flights if the flight number is the continuation of an international flight.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you questioning the existence of NC (where it would typically be NF)? Or are you questioning why they'd allocate 33% of the cabin to upgrades?

On ORD-CUN, where most of the traffic is vacationers, the NC4 makes some sense. You probably won't see NC4/NF4 on a 320 between SFO and IAD.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:31 pm

What do you guys use to check how many seats are left in each bucket?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by check9rip
What do you guys use to check how many seats are left in each bucket?
If you enable "Expert Mode" on .bomb it will show the buckets rather than just Y/N for the cabins. Also you can use a tool like ExpertFlyer or KVS. Seatcounter will show revenue bucks but they no longer show award/upgrade buckets.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
For some reason UA sells the F cabin on 2 class planes as C class on flights to Mexico. If you pull up the buckets you'll notice there's no F bucket.. it begins with C.

However you'll also see this phenomenon on 2 class domestic flights if the flight number is the continuation of an international flight.
I always figured they did it to make it easier to tell you you weren't getting access to the IFL.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
If you enable "Expert Mode" on .bomb it will show the buckets rather than just Y/N for the cabins. Also you can use a tool like ExpertFlyer or KVS. Seatcounter will show revenue bucks but they no longer show award/upgrade buckets.
I don't see NF listed as a bucket in expert mode...is there a way a way to see how many are left in the upgrade bucket?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EP and former UA 1K
Remember to search for award tickets, standard, to see the upgrade buckets.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by RDimperio
Remember to search for award tickets, standard, to see the upgrade buckets.
That did it, thanks...I love how it shows NF0 with F9 for a flight this upcoming weekend. Awesome...looks like I'll just sit on the wait list.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
waitlisted NC for 2-cabin domestic flights?

I've got some flights coming up in May. I'm going OGG-SFO, spending the night, then SFO-BOS, with the return BOS-SFO-OGG.

I'm 'pending' OGG-SFO, and had a sponsored upgade waitlisted for NF for SFO-BOS and a second one BOS-SFO-OGG.

Two weeks ago, the return flights weren't showing waitlisted any more. I called, and they yanked a CR-1 from my pile, and it was waitlisted again. Last week the SFO-OGG segment cleared.

Today I checked, and saw all the waitlisted segments had gone. And worse, my confirmed seats had moved from Exit rows to E+ in one case and E- in another. But the aircraft are still 757s. My one cleared flight still showed as NF. No change on the pending flight either.

So I called, and she was able to restore my place on the waitlists. But now it shows I'm waitlisted for NC(!?!) When I go into seatmap it shows a plain vanilla (non-ps) 757 layout. Additionally, all the exit rows were empty, where they had not been before.

Is this just .bomb weirdness, or an impending equipment swap? I noticed a swap on the OGG-SFO leg after I had booked, from a 767 to a 777 (with my 21H seat now just another E+ seat, and not an exit row...).
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Check the flight number. If it's an 800- or 900-series flight number, it's a continuation of an overseas flight (with change of gauge at the international gateway such as SFO). These flights have NC availability, though you get to sit in the F cabin. It's so that through pax from overseas can be upgraded Y->NC on "direct" flights with one flight number. One of the most famous cases for this is UA881/882 BOS-ORD-NRT-BKK and vv.

I have a confirmed NC (seated in F cabin) SFO-BOS for this coming October on a 757 on UA862.

Last edited by wxguy; Feb 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:23 pm

Ah... they are 800-series (862 & 869).

Odd, before today they were waitlisted for NF... now, NC.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
before today they were waitlisted for NF... now, NC.
I would call and have it moved to NF. Often they'll open up NF on the 2-class flights but never bother to open up NC. I've had it happen before.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 7:13 pm

Thanks, I'll do this on Monday. I think I got an ITNL agent on the 1K line today.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
UA 929 ORD-SEA - 757 metal but shows C and J?

So I booked UA 929 ORD-SEA for 3/11. All websites including UAL show that this is 757-200 equipment, but it shows C and J booking classes availability. Is that a glitch? When I booked, it showed me standard 757 seat map where E+ starts at row 8. Just trying to figure it out - I hope I have some decent chances for my UG to clear(flying on H fare, so it's up there coupled with status), but still very confused as to why UA sells C and J on that flight. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.