Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Seat 33A/K on UA's 747 - How's this a legal revenue seat to sell?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat 33A/K on UA's 747 - How's this a legal revenue seat to sell?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
Hmmmm... what would a Premier Exec be doing on a E- seat??
The exit rows in E- (except the window seats) are better than any E+ seat on a 747. As a 1K who is often stuck in the back of the bus on my international flights, I will book row 45 or 33 before any seat in E+.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K
@fastair: whatever
@All:
I know about SeatGuru, but when the friendly gate agent hands you a ticket as you are trying to reshuffle your itinerary to avoid hanging out in lovely EWR for 12 hours, SeatGuru is not always available

My original point was that this SHOULD NOT count as an available revenue seat given its practically non-existing legroom. Mind you, this plane came in from Brussels, so some poor soul sat in this slot for 10+ hours. I got off relatively easy with only 4 hours confined to this abomination.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MrFocus
this SHOULD NOT count as an available revenue seat given its practically non-existing legroom.
I know people who make these seats their first choice, as they're the only 747 seats in Coach with built-in leg rests.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Let me guess, those people are more, shall we say "compact" than 6'1''?

I could literally not sit in this seat with my legs facing forward without embedding my knees into the exit slide in front of me.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I agree this seat is awful. Being marked as an exit row, I can only imagine the horror of new passengers arriving to their 'better' seat only to find it worse than a regular slot (imo).

@ fastair, [personalized comments deleted by moderator] The photos appear normal to me and it appears he is sitting in this seat. Having seen this seat in person, I can only agree with his comments.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jun 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm Reason: To remove personalized comments.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:55 am

Mind you, this plane came in from Brussels, so some poor soul sat in this slot for 10+ hours. I got off relatively easy with only 4 hours confined to this abomination.
I'm confused...you said this is a 747, but if the aircraft arrived from Brussels it was operated by a 767.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brick
I'm confused...you said this is a 747, but if the aircraft arrived from Brussels it was operated by a 767.
Well, not sure if they used the same equipment. This 747 had Duty Free catalogs on board and is configured as a three-cabin air craft with lay-flat international biz class, so I assumed that it had come in from Brussels. At any rate, they are running this thing long haul somewhere, so whoever gets 33K or 33A is pretty much screwed for the (international) duration of the flight.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by oldmonster
I always avoid the window seat on exit rows.
Mistake if you happen to avoid 15A on an old style (or new style) UA 744.

Dave
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Not at all.

I could literally not sit in this seat with my legs facing forward without embedding my knees into the exit slide in front of me.
There's your mistake. Think of it as an ottoman. In 45HJ, you have to use carry-on bags for this purpose, but in 45K you gets to lean back (well, as far as you can lean) with your feet up.

Originally Posted by fastair
any photographer knows how to make one look more dramatic by using lighting, angels, cropping, and perspective.
Only if you believe in angels...
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not at all.

There's your mistake. Think of it as an ottoman. In 45HJ, you have to use carry-on bags for this purpose, but in 45K you gets to lean back (well, as far as you can lean) with your feet up.
Great...next flight you take 33A, I'll take a Plus Cabin isle seat.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Likely to have the same issue with a regular E- seat on 747
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:19 pm

Great...next flight you take 33A, I'll take a Plus Cabin isle seat.
Never a window for me. (And unless the plane is flooded, there are no isle seats.) On the 744, I always take 45H and pray for the upgrade.

But the whole point is that just because you dislike something doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
yeeech and yes, an airline's "job" is to sell and fill seats but i'm sorry, this seat should be pulled as unless you're 2-foot/nine, i cannot see how anyone can sit int hat seat. yeeech (redux)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: IHG platinum, Hilton diamond, Hyatt platinum, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Never a window for me. (And unless the plane is flooded, there are no isle seats.) On the 744, I always take 45H and pray for the upgrade.

But the whole point is that just because you dislike something doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
Don't agree with you but agree with OP.
These two seats (35AK) don't exist in Delta 744 which also makes 35BJ and 36AK the best seats in economy.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by bseller
Mistake if you happen to avoid 15A on an old style (or new style) UA 744.

Dave
There are rules and there are exceptions to the rules. 15A on old config 744 is my favorite in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.