Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Bonus Status Miles with Purchase of RT Tix

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Bonus Status Miles with Purchase of RT Tix

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: WWMFD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">originally posted by ozstamps:
From reading both threads not sure if this apparent requirement is clear to all?</font>
Hmmm... on a second read of the e-mail & terms, this may not be the case.

[This message has been edited by kcvt750 (edited 08-29-2003).]
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:57 am

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
I don't know about the counts for status miles promotion, but the other one's e-mail states:

Now, United® will match in miles what you pay for your roundtrip ticket in any booking class on United and United Express® - one bonus mile for every dollar. Just register at united.com/offer/mpd403, then purchase your roundtrip ticket and fly by November 30th.

And remember, you earn one mile for every dollar charged on your Mileage Plus Visa.
Purchase your roundtrip ticket with your Mileage Plus Visa®, and you'll also earn one mile for every dollar you charge. Visit united.com/mpvisa for more information.

In other words, double miles per dollar spent. Triple if you have the "Gold Class" Mileage Plus Visa, which I believe already offers double miles per dollar spent on UA tix.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:06 am

I can see it now. Instead of doing traditional Mileage Runs, FTers will be running out to buy full fare international First Class tickets to take advantage of this offer.

At $14,500 a pop you would only need to fly 4 round trips LAX-LHR, to make 1K
Old Aug 29, 2003, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IK in Seattle:

At $14,500 a pop you would only need to fly 4 round trips LAX-LHR, to make 1K</font>
"Make 1K for $58,000"

Just does not seem to have QUITE the same populist ring as:

"Make 1K for $750"

Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
question: i've used my MP visa to buy a roundtrip 2 weeks ago and i just registred for the promo this morning, will i still get the bonus??
Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:06 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I'm only 2P and I got the "413" offer for EQMs. I wonder how they decided who gets which offer????

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:26 pm

Thanks. I registered for one of the promos
Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConsultantA:
question: i've used my MP visa to buy a roundtrip 2 weeks ago and i just registred for the promo this morning, will i still get the bonus??</font>
Not sure. The details say:
Offer valid for travel between September 1, 2003 and November 30, 2003
SO if the flight in on 15 September 2003, but you bought the ticket in July. Do you get the bonus miles? Hmmmm. The travel was in the period required.

NOTE: I got the 403 offer
Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:41 pm

WOW, so glad I read this. My husband and I both got emails on these offers but I did not realize there were two different options. I registered us both using the link in one of the emails for the 403 offer. Have now gone back and registered us both for the 413 offer. We are both Premier. He has flown one Taipei RT this year; I have flown one Great Offer 8-segment TX-CA RT. I already have Premier for next year; he does not. Wonder how they decided who got which offer?
Old Aug 29, 2003, 1:44 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Save your emails on this one (like you really need to be reminded).

I just got off the phone with a very nice guy at MP and asked about any purchase by requirements. He checked with his boss who said tickets must be purchased within the Sept 1.- Nov. 30 time period. Tickets purchased previously for travel during those dates wouldn't receive the bonus, he was told. He agreed with me the offer leaves lots of room for other interpretations on this so I suspect a letter to MP might be successful if bonus miles for tickets already purchased don't post.

The rules he read from also said the tickets must be purchased with MP Visa to get the bonus. My email very clearly shows by the examples that that's not the case to receive the initial bonus, but is necessary for an additional bonus.

Anyway ... nothing really new here when it comes to confusion surrounding promos at MP. I'm grateful for it just the same, even if I may have to make some effort to collect the miles.

Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:11 pm

Am I the only one to be reminded of the old TWA system, using precisely this approach, shortly before TWA closed up for good?
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm a 1K and got the 413 offer in the mail. In the fine print it says for travel between 9/1 & 11/30. So according to my email, you can buy the tickets before 9/1.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 2:30 pm

bedelman is right. It is scary to see how much UA has given away in the last 5 months, what with the Great Offer, comping of upgrades, and matching of q points with dollars. The only thing that is going to bode for UA's future is to see how they did in the 3rd quarter (peak summer travel) revenue. If they continue to lose significant bucks, then I think it is sweet aloha, sayonara, and auf wieder sehn, etc., for this carrier.

------------------
UA 1K/Pass Plus; AA Plat/Lifetime AAirpass
Old Aug 30, 2003, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I was offered the 413 promotion. However, I am not sure that I will take advantage of this since there is no way I will make 1K by miles before segments. I will take advantage of this promotion only if these miles count towards MM status.

Old Aug 30, 2003, 4:40 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Robot Doctor wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I was offered the 413 promotion. However, I am not sure that I will take advantage of this since there is no way I will make 1K by miles before segments.</font>
Why would you not take advantage of it? These are not solely elite miles like they were with the Great Offer, these are bonus miles you can actually use toward award travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.