New Use for Companion Cert

Old May 19, 2003, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
New Use for Companion Cert

This is what I'm going to use it for. It may not work for the rest of you, but I'm putting it out for your consideration.
Going to CDG in July. Based on two things (1) I know the plane will be packed and (2) had a horrible experience two years ago (pre E+) with scary old guy in the next seat staring at me all night and on the return a restless college kid elbowed me the whole way. So ...
I'm going to book two seats for myself - one using the cert. Then I can assure myself some P&Q and elbow room. Relieve myself of the suspense of who I'm going to have sit/sleep next to. Just pop that armrest up and hunker down for the night.

Sure it'll be more expensive buying H than V/W but worth it for me. (Am I'm hording my SWUs for some trans-pac flights.) OK, just found out the H fare happens to be the lowest fare for my dates so it's a wash on the money.
Old May 19, 2003, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you planning on checking in twice? And just keeping the boarding pass?

Does UA allow "oversized" people to purchase two seats for comfort like WN? (I'm asking this in general--no implications that you're oversized, suzy1k. In fact, this is the Internet...you probably look like Tara Reed! )

I would just run the idea by UA first-- it sure would be a bummer to have your "un-checked-in" seat relinquished to a John Goodman type!

[This message has been edited by UNITED959 (edited 05-19-2003).]
Old May 19, 2003, 3:11 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Very interesting (and smart) idea suzy1k, however, I'm not sure UA will let you do this. Technically, you don't have a "companion." Just guessing, I have nothing concrete to back that statement up.
Please let us know once you have booked the ticket and it worked. I would be very interested to see if this works.
Great creative idea!!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old May 19, 2003, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Yeah, at 145 I can barely squeeze into those E+ seats sometimes. Forget getting out of them after gorging on Twix bars in "C" going to Beijing

I told the 1K lady what I wanted to do. She checked with a supervisor and said all I needed to do was pay tax on the other ticket. How fun is this: my 2nd tix says "my last name", 'Extra' (for first name), and 'Seat' for middle name. They are on 2 PNRs but the seats are together. Sure I have visions of the gate agent screwing me over but maybe they'll Op/UG me to get the 2 seats.

I was on a flight one time where a guy bought a seat for his cello and he got on they had split him from his instrument. Not a happy scene but the guy in 1C next to the cello in 1D was fine with it
Old May 19, 2003, 3:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by suzy1K:
I was on a flight one time where a guy bought a seat for his cello and he got on they had split him from his instrument. Not a happy scene but the guy in 1C next to the cello in 1D was fine with it </font>
Yoyo Ma was on your flight - Wow!
Old May 19, 2003, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like they booked it exactly like they do for a paid "extra seat." So you should have no problems.

Interesting idea to improve chances on a mooched Operational in the event of an Economy oversold situation. Approach the Gate Agent and say to them:

"May I have a deal for you! Two of mine, for one of yours!"

Old May 19, 2003, 6:59 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Sounds like they booked it exactly like they do for a paid "extra seat." So you should have no problems.

Interesting idea to improve chances on a mooched Operational in the event of an Economy oversold situation. Approach the Gate Agent and say to them:

"May I have a deal for you! Two of mine, for one of yours!"

</font>
Wow!! This is pure genius. What GA wouldn't accept this offer????
suzy1k: Again, great idea!!
Do let us know what happens!!!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old May 19, 2003, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Neat concept. Love to know how it works out.

If anyone who does NOT have a companrion Cert, wants one pretty cheaply for It'l travel AND support a great FT cause at the same time, check this out near end of thread.
Old May 20, 2003, 7:27 pm

Good stuff

------------------
JerseyJoe
Old May 22, 2003, 4:24 am

Programs: UA
Wahoo, great that you managed! I had the same idea when my original departure date of mid July was still valid, but United told me I could not use my Companion Certificate for this (I now fly mid-August anyway, so I didnt pursue the idea long). Thought my thought had been to be able to take more luggage with me as I upgrade my ticket anyways (lol, my evil twin can sit in coach).
Old May 22, 2003, 9:08 am

Creative idea!

And since both you and "your companion" are 1Ks, each one of you can block one center seat next to you, which means you may occupy the whole central row on a 744 if the flight is not oversold and no chance for an operational upgrade.
Old May 22, 2003, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AirTravelLover:
Creative idea!

And since both you and "your companion" are 1Ks, each one of you can block one center seat next to you, which means you may occupy the whole central row on a 744 if the flight is not oversold and no chance for an operational upgrade.
</font>
This would work...except I don't think UA's running 744s to CDG these days...

Old May 22, 2003, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
Book one ticket for "Sue" and one for "Suzy." No problems that way.

Of course, if you buy a "H" fare anyway, why not simply use an SWU to upgrade to C? (That is, unless you've used them or put them all inside white envelopes already.)

------------------
-Otto
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:50 pm

Programs: Many
So whatever happened with this? Did it work?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question. A gentleman read my suggestion (not here on FlyerTalk) on the Operational mooch off of Suzy1K's getting 2 Economy seats for 1 person deal. I know he was successful getting the 2 economy seats for himself, no problem. But I never heard back from him on the "2 of mine, for 1 of yours" upgrade mooch.

I'll email him and try to find out how it went.

Thanks for the reminder!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.