FRA vs. MUC for SWU usage?

Old Jun 7, 10, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
FRA vs. MUC for SWU usage?

Coming back from OSL it looks like the routings/connections are about the same for OSL-FRA-IAD vs OSL-MUC-IAD. Is there any general wisdom as to whether one offers a better chance of an upgrade clearing vs. the other? FRA has more flights (3xUA+2LH vs 1UA+1LH ex-MUC) ... but is that representative?

Travel will be on a monday, I'm 1K on UA, most likely booked in B/M/H fare class.
Old Jun 7, 10, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by ljwobker View Post
Coming back from OSL it looks like the routings/connections are about the same for OSL-FRA-IAD vs OSL-MUC-IAD. Is there any general wisdom as to whether one offers a better chance of an upgrade clearing vs. the other? FRA has more flights (3xUA+2LH vs 1UA+1LH ex-MUC) ... but is that representative?

Travel will be on a monday, I'm 1K on UA, most likely booked in B/M/H fare class.
If you're traveling over the summer I'd assume any upgrade request will be easily cleared, especially given the high fare classes you're looking at booking. If you go through FRA and take UA953 you'll get the new biz seats. All other UA flights are operated by 777s. if you want to add mileage and fly in new style biz I recommend going through FRA and ORD and taking UA941 - 747 with new biz seats.
Old Jun 7, 10, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
I'm doing RDU-ORD-LHR tonight booked in H, and the seatmap currently shows almost full up front, and F1/C1 availability last I checked yesterday... so that whole "upgrade clearing" thing may not be as easy as we thought.

BRU-IAD next week still looks pretty open, as did the IAD-LHR flights when I checked yesterday. I wonder what's so special about the flight that *I* picked ;(

I looked at the 747 run via ORD but the routing/times to get back home to RDU stink. I do love the new 744's -- I scored HKG-ORD in C on my last long haul trip.
Old Jun 7, 10, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
MUC-IAD seems in my limited experience to have NC inventory more frequently well ahead of the date of travel than does FRA-IAD--at least for the non-peak days I've traveled this year (Mondays & Tuesdays). OTOH, UA operates 3x daily on FRA-IAD, so there's more capacity there.

If you want more time aboard the plane, MUC-IAD is about 1/2 hour longer IIRC, but given both routes are daytime flights, it's not like you're buying more snooze time like you would be on the eastbound route.

If you can snag the new C seats on FRA-IAD, so much the better, but (again in my limited experience), UA is stingier with NC ex-FRA.
Old Jun 8, 10, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
MUC-IAD seems in my limited experience to have NC inventory more frequently well ahead of the date of travel than does FRA-IAD--at least for the non-peak days I've traveled this year (Mondays & Tuesdays). OTOH, UA operates 3x daily on FRA-IAD, so there's more capacity there.

If you want more time aboard the plane, MUC-IAD is about 1/2 hour longer IIRC, but given both routes are daytime flights, it's not like you're buying more snooze time like you would be on the eastbound route.

If you can snag the new C seats on FRA-IAD, so much the better, but (again in my limited experience), UA is stingier with NC ex-FRA.
Totally agree, using SWUs to MUC has been relatively easy ahead of time especially Mon-Wed, both from IAD and ORD, unlike the situation with FRA. UA has lots more codeshares from FRA than from MUC, and basically encourages booking through FRA. Me, unless I can get a guaranteed upgrade on new C, I go to MUC, as I vastly prefer it as an airport, and haven't missed an upgrade in 18 months when needed.
Old Jun 9, 10, 2:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
MUC-IAD should be easier to get than FRA-IAD. At the end of the day, FRA is LH's "real" hub and most everyone in Europe is funneled back to FRA to get back to the US. If you can make it out of MUC, you'll do better on the upgrades.

It's a shame there's no SFO-MUC on UA metal
Old Jun 9, 10, 8:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I have to agree w/ everyone that NC inventory will be greater through MUC. Also, MUC is a wonderful airport. I can't speak to the lounges as any time I fly out of there I am usually very late!
Old Jun 9, 10, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I only have one experience with each (though I cleared an SWU 3 months out on 5pm FRA-IAD for next month), but I snagged an op-up MUC-ORD on a Thursday last June, as a 1P. I'd concur your upgrade odds are good at MUC. Food and drink at the lounge was good, but the layout made it seem more crowded than it was and wasn't that conducive to working.
Old Jun 9, 10, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
100% agree. Easier to upgrade via MUC. Also tougher to upgrade on the 767. I've done this a lot and the 1K desk always tells me to go through MUC (which is a much nicer airport anyway). Good luck!
Old Jun 9, 10, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Check the specific flights

Originally Posted by ljwobker View Post

In general, MUC is better, but you never know. The best thing to do is go on the website search for your different options, but set it up as if you are booking in business class. Then you can look at the seat map and see how many seats have been assigned for the different flights.

Alternatively, call the 1k line. I did this last November when I had the choice of FRA, BRU, or GVA. The agent was great about telling me which upgrades I could get right away, which I was likely to get close to the time of departure, and which looked pretty hopeless. I was able to confirm the return flight on the spot, and the outbound flight cleared four days before.
Old Jun 9, 10, 9:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer View Post
I have to agree w/ everyone that NC inventory will be greater through MUC. Also, MUC is a wonderful airport. I can't speak to the lounges as any time I fly out of there I am usually very late!
They regularly put you on 1hr connections which can be made, but are a bit tight especially when coming from outside the EU customs zone as you have to re-clear security. Senator lounge in the Schengen area is especially good and not too crowded.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: