FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   waitlisted for business/first award (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1092797-waitlisted-business-first-award.html)

d3van Jun 5, 2010 9:41 pm

waitlisted for business/first award

Hi Folks,

I have a business/first award booked but at the time of booking 2 of my segments were only available in Economy. Currently those flights have NF=3 but XF=0.

Has anyone had success convincing them to open XF inventory? Or this is something impossible...

I am afraid that now with UDU there will be no seats available on day of departure and me and the fiancee will be sitting in E+.

Cheers,

fzwinter Jun 5, 2010 9:55 pm

While I've read about some people having success getting IM to free up an "X"seat when there's "N" availability, I wouldn't count on it. You might also want to consider splitting your record if you're both booked on the same PNR since I think the only way that your waitlist would clear right now would be if two seats became available at the same time. You could also keep an eye out alternative itineraries since you're a 1K and can change flights for free. I just did this with a family itinerary (wife and son in XF on international fight but only NY for domestic segments) when I found some different routings to ORD that had XF availability.

Good luck!

mahasamatman Jun 5, 2010 10:08 pm

If you're not a GS, your chances of affecting IM are zero. Not even near zero, but absolute zero.

fastair Jun 5, 2010 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 14084450)
If you're not a GS, your chances of affecting IM are zero. Not even near zero, but absolute zero.

I'm not GS, but get them to give me space at my request on average of once a day. But then again, I know the top secret number to call.

denverhockeyguy Jun 5, 2010 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 14084456)
I'm not GS, but get them to give me space at my request on average of once a day. But then again, I know the top secret number to call.

Fastair, I'll trade you my secret number for yours.

johnrg Jun 5, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm in the same situation for an upcoming flight. I'm cleared into NF, but my wife is waitlisted for XF on one segment. I asked if IM could open up a seat while on a call with UA a few weeks ago. The agent put me on hold, came back a minute later and said "there's a good chance it will clear, keep checking back". I'm planning to call and try again soon.

In case you don't clear, others here have said to request the FFCC (full fare class change) waitlist upon checking in at the airport. Apparently this list is supposed to be cleared first with paying customers ($ or miles), followed by UDUs. My flight is in three weeks, I'll be back to post the results. Good luck!

Rpcfly Jun 5, 2010 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 14084456)

:-::D

d3van Jun 6, 2010 9:50 am

Originally Posted by johnrg (Post 14084576)
I'm in the same situation for an upcoming flight. I'm cleared into NF, but my wife is waitlisted for XF on one segment. I asked if IM could open up a seat while on a call with UA a few weeks ago. The agent put me on hold, came back a minute later and said "there's a good chance it will clear, keep checking back". I'm planning to call and try again soon.

In case you don't clear, others here have said to request the FFCC (full fare class change) waitlist upon checking in at the airport. Apparently this list is supposed to be cleared first with paying customers ($ or miles), followed by UDUs. My flight is in three weeks, I'll be back to post the results. Good luck!

This is what I was going to do, however I have been noticing that as of late, UA has not been leaving much left in terms of seats available on the last day. Sometimes I have gotten the last F seat in UDU in advance of day of departure. Since there are 2 of us, I am even more concerned that we will get skipped over. This is what I am really worried about...

johnrg Jun 7, 2010 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by d3van (Post 14086135)
This is what I was going to do, however I have been noticing that as of late, UA has not been leaving much left in terms of seats available on the last day. Sometimes I have gotten the last F seat in UDU in advance of day of departure. Since there are 2 of us, I am even more concerned that we will get skipped over. This is what I am really worried about...

That's a good point. Once the upgrade windows hit I guess it's a question of how many UDUs IM hands out before the last day. Even if you're #1 on the FFCC list you may have to hope someone doesn't show up. It would be great to know what type of success others have had in this situation. Either clearing at some point before DM, or clearing via FFCC at the airport.

Our flight is less than 3 weeks out and showing F9/A9/NF9/XF0 as well as XY9/NY9. I realize the seat map is a bad indicator, but right now only 7 seats on a domestic 767 are occupied. In fact, it's several fewer than it showed last week. Y cabin is pretty full, but I don't have visibility into E+.

Still hoping it works out, but that's the risk we took.

johnrg Jun 14, 2010 9:12 am

Good news, the seat cleared yesterday! I'll update my original post later with more details.