Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Becoming a millionaire today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
I called, and they said "who? huh?"

Apparently my connection to PremEx or auh2o is not strong enough yet to pull some strings...

</font>
You obviously didn't use the "right" connection.

Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably called the wrong airline.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:14 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
I called, and they said "who? huh?"

Apparently my connection to PremEx or auh2o is not strong enough yet to pull some strings...

</font>
And you are sure you didn't say "avek" by mistake?

Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:19 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Remember stopping by the UA ticket office in BKK several times, and having them print out my UA flight "history" for me, which included a "UA miles flown to date" figure.

If possible way over there, why can't it be duplicated here in the good old USA?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:25 am

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
+ * + + * + * + * +* + *+ +* **
+ + * * * * ++ + * * ++ *
++ ** * * + + + * +*+
++* +* *+** +*+* +*+ *+*
+ *+* *+*++++ **+* +*+ *+* +*

confetti falling

Congratulations to both!

How long did it take all of you?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
sounds like it'll be a busy week -- I cross over to MM status this weekend! woo hoo!
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Someone (coff) does need the tell the purser as they truly have no idea.

Now iluv2fly being the quiet, shy, bashful, retiring type, will not of couse, ... but sure hope WayMaker does think of it.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Ooops ..... and SFO-FT as well of course.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
Thanks to all for the congratulations. ozstamps is right about my shyness. I mentioned it to a few people along the way. The regulars at AUS all knew before I arrived to check in and were genuinely cheery about the occasion. The send-off agent tipped off the crew of the domestic leg, one of whom made a positive comment to me, but nothing more. Nice enough, but certainly no fanfare.

I was bold enough at ORD to offer a special, once-in-a-lifetime version of "The Speech" (copyright PremEx) in which I expressed my happiness to celebrate where I was (12F on a 777), but if they needed help from someone who was willing to move forward to make sure everyone was acccomodated, that I would be willing to go through the hassle of moving up front. Agent was pleasant, but declared first class full. I thought if there ever was a time to ask for a double upgrade, this would be it. Didn't happen, so I was, as promised, happy in 12F.

As I stepped on board, the purser actually recognized me from previous flights. I recognized him as well, and so I took the opportunity to mention that it wasn't that unreasonable since I was crossing over 1,000,000 miles that day. He was warmly congratulatory, but nothing more happened than getting my choice of meals.

One of my daughters did more than anyone else at United by making me a card that I opened on board which read, "Happy 1,000,000 Miles Day, Daddy!"

Overall, I'm glad I went into it with low expectations. The permanent Star Gold status will be reward enough, with benefits lasting quite a number of years.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OttoGraham:
The MP service desk will tell you your lifetime balance if you ask in a phone call.

</font>
I also called about a month ago, and the M+ agent told me they don't keep the record that far back.

I did stop by the SIN UA office 2 weeks ago, and they did pull the record for me.

[This message has been edited by UA_Flyer (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I also called about a month ago, and the M+ agent told me they don't keep the record that far back.</font>
Well stretching it quite a bit, I suppose they might have been technically correct. They don't have any records of your lifetime total, if your "lifetime" began before the creation of Mileage Plus in the early 1980s.

I had flown over 750,000 paid miles on United before the Mileage Plus Program was created. Unfortunately, no one got "credit" toward any lifetime tally for those miles, when Mileage Plus was created. They started everything over from scratch.

Actually, I believe they call it your "Lifetime Program United Miles Flown" or something like that.

But any Mileage Plus agent can call this total up on the screen. I've never had one that couldn't, so it must just be a rookie/training issue or something. FYI, they can also tell you the total number of miles you've earned from flights from all sources, flight related bonuses, other sources, etc, etc as well as the Grand Total of miles you've earned in the program since it was created. Their "Account Summary Screen" is pretty extensive compared to what the web site gives you.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Sep 25, 2003, 11:37 am

First of all, my most sincere congratulations to WayMaker and iluv2fly on hitting the million mark!

Taking the advice of an earlier post, I called MP and they told me immediately what my lifetime program balance was, and I've been a member since 1991 (I was 13 at the time). I was pretty amazed that within two minutes of reading the post, I had obtained my balance. For those of you that have had trouble, you might want to try calling again.

By the way, I have a mere 930,000 miles to fly to reach 1MM. Fortunately, I'm only 24, so I have time....
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:00 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sonofapilot:
Fortunately, I'm only 24, so I have time....</font>
Still immortal? IMO, at 24 you have a lot of time to do better things than aspire to this dubious honor!

[This message has been edited by divaof travel (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who are you calling "dubious?"

Old Sep 25, 2003, 9:59 pm

Divaof travel, I assure you that I stopped feeling immortal long ago. But United Airlines has always taken me where I needed to go, sometimes on a moment's notice, and sometimes in situations that were less than happy (several members of my immediate family passed away while I was in college). While I certainly feel compelled to achieve much more out of life than 1MM, I also feel a certain affinity to my Hometown Airline. I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, and although I have been a New England transplant for the last six years (and wish to stay here for the foreseeable future), I will always have a place in my heart for UA. Is it wrong to have sentimental attachments to an airline? Perhaps it is, but I have been able to see a huge chunk of the globe compliments of UA, and I am hopeful that it will continue to provide the service I have always appreciated. In an age of constantly shifting loyalties based solely on expectations of service and economic forecasts, it is my sincere hope that UA with thrive once again in the air travel market.

Perhaps it is lofty youthful optimism, but I hope to give my business to United for - at the very least - 930,000 miles to come.

Neil

BTW, most of my tickets far and wide have been award tickets, so my "program balance" is not at all representative of my actual flight miles.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.