Wiki Posts
Search

No more free call in Japan

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K,SQ*G,Marriott PLT,HH GOLD,IHG PLTAMB
Angry No more free call in Japan

UA reservaiton in Japan stopped free call service on May 14. New numbers are 0570-064-777 or 03-3817-4411.

Last edited by l etoile; May 17, 2010 at 8:32 am Reason: phone numbers for 1K and GS removed per tos
Old May 17, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Hideyuki
UA reservaiton in Japan stopped free call service on May 14. New numbers are 0570-064-777 or 03-3817-4411.
Come on.....step up to the plate and get some MR's under your belt....you'll be 1k in no time

Last edited by l etoile; May 17, 2010 at 8:33 am Reason: phone numbers removed from quote per tos
Old May 17, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
How is the Japan Call Center anyway?

I always just use Skype to call the US lines.
Old May 17, 2010, 7:59 am

If you speak Japanese, the Japan call center is awesome, because, well, it's in Japan .

If not, I'd imagine it would be hit or miss, but still likely preferable to the ICC....
Old May 17, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
If you speak Japanese, the Japan call center is awesome, because, well, it's in Japan .

If not, I'd imagine it would be hit or miss, but still likely preferable to the ICC....
^ I tried them twice in the last couple of years and even though I speak some Japanese I had to hang up and call the US number.
Old May 17, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
The Japan call center is AWESOME. I always get a person who speaks both Japanese and English, and I've even been able to talk to technical staff about problems! Probably my favorite call center in the world!

I call from either my cell phone (paid for by work) or my company phone (also paid for by work) or once in a while, Skype (also paid for by work, but toll free to call the States). You actually DO have to call the appropriate local office to ticket locally in a currency -- the exception if if you have a paper voucher, you can ticket through United Japan in yen and they'll convert for you.

BTW, I just got my Leaders Review (United Japan magazine) in the mail today -- anyone else just get theirs, too?
Old May 17, 2010, 10:16 am

It's sorta crazy how many customer service numbers outside the U.S. aren't toll-free numbers. Could you imagine any major business not having an 800 number for the U.S.? Probably has to do with the relative cheapness of phone calls in America, but still, you'd think that wouldn't be the case anymore.
Old May 17, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by danpeake
It's sorta crazy how many customer service numbers outside the U.S. aren't toll-free numbers. Could you imagine any major business not having an 800 number for the U.S.? Probably has to do with the relative cheapness of phone calls in America, but still, you'd think that wouldn't be the case anymore.
Actually, as cheap as airfares have been in the US in recent years, I'm surprised that the airlines have kept their toll free numbers. Plus, most people have unlimited long-distance on cell phones (nights/weekends) and many have unlimited long distance at home. Of course, with the advent of the web, I'm sure that call volumes have gone down dramatically over the past decade.
Old May 17, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Actually, as cheap as airfares have been in the US in recent years, I'm surprised that the airlines have kept their toll free numbers. Plus, most people have unlimited long-distance on cell phones (nights/weekends) and many have unlimited long distance at home. Of course, with the advent of the web, I'm sure that call volumes have gone down dramatically over the past decade.
I agree, but I was more speaking to the general nature of customer service numbers being toll free in the U.S. Think about the back of food packages that ask you to call for questions/comments. Those are all 800 numbers whereas in Europe, they're not.
Old May 17, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The Japan Call Center in Japan is much better than the Japanese Call Center in HNL. Many HNL agents are probably nisei or sansei (2nd/3rd generation Japanese-Americans) who speak Japanese with a strange accent or use a lot of English words in their Japanese. Many of them also have some "UA matron attitude" and are not as friendly as the agents in Japan. Saying this, they are still much better than most UA agents in the US who call themselves "Miss/Mrs XXX"
Old May 17, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Great call center for 1K in Japan but it's not open 24x7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.