Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lose Upgrades if you change return flights

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I booked a round trip to start on Monday and come home Thursday evening. My upgrades for the out bound segments have cleared. Now, I need to change my return flight to Friday. Our company travel agent informed me that I would lose my upgrades on the out bound flight if I change the return flights. I decided to wait until after my flights on Monday to change the return.

I went to .bomb to see about changing the return legs and was quoted a price of $81 to make this change, but there is red text at the bottom of the screen warning that I could lose any upgrades or seat assignments on the outbound flights if I make the change....

What gives? Why can't I change the return flights without messing up the out bound flights?

and I wonder what would happen if I use online check in, print my first class boarding pass 24 hours in advance, and then change the return legs before the out bound flights? Would I still lose my upgrades?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 16, 2010 at 7:24 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 16, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikel51
....What gives? Why can't I change the return flights without messing up the out bound flights?

and I wonder what would happen if I use online check in, print my first class boarding pass 24 hours in advance, and then change the return legs before the out bound flights? Would I still lose my upgrades?
You need to be rebooked into original fare class, hence out of upgraded class, in order to re-fare your new itinerary. You can upgrade again after new ticket is issued, but the upgrade inventory may or may not be available then. @:-) An experienced reservation agent can manually override it but finding one can be a challenge.

It should be fine if you change it after OLCI.
Old May 16, 2010, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wirelessly posted (MOT-Q9/01.09.28DR Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) Opera 8.65)

If you find capable agent, it can be done. I have done it on a TPAC flight. In your case, if upgrade space of the return flight is wide open, I would change the flight after the outbound.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, Marriott
I had to do a similar change this past week. My travel agent warned us that the OLCI was no longer valid, but it didn't seem to impact the confirmed upgrade.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
It sounds as if your TA is exchanging your ticket as opposed to paying a change fee to change your return. You are starting new: your upgrade may be lost, but there still may be upgrades to be had. As far as checking in online, if you do this, a TA will not be able to exchange your ticket because it is in a 'semi' used status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.