Search

Hkg-Sin: UA in C or SQ C on the 380

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Hkg-Sin: UA in C or SQ C on the 380

But of course the question is more complicated than that!

I can buy a Q fare ticket on UA for $195 and upgrade to C with 10,000 miles and $50 bucks.

Or I can take my 45k orphaned SQ miles and get a standard C award on the 380.

Third option is to take SQ in F on the 772 for the same miles.

Thoughts?
Old May 13, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: UA/AA
SQ F > SQ C > UA C That is my thinking on that. Unless you want to try out the whale jet.

Last edited by Paiteaw; May 13, 2010 at 12:20 am Reason: add
Old May 13, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
Depends on the situation. If I were arriving from another long haul I would go with SQ F simply to be able to access the UA IFL and take a shower (and then F lounge hop perhaps).

Also got to ask yourself how you value those SQ miles. If you consider them practically worthless and wont ever add to them then this may be as good a chance as any to blow them.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Beware SQ has three different configurations on the 772/772ER.

The F on the 772 are nothing like those on 773 and A380.

I personally would use the miles to redeem SQ C on A380. Cash is still king and you can get more out of $245 and 10K UA miles than 45k SQ miles.

A380 C is great, and services and amenity are better.
Old May 13, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: UA G
I think at some point, I saw HKG-SIN available for like $150 on UA. Honestly, I'd just do it in Economy and save the miles for something else more worthwhile. It's only 3 hours -- less than the time it takes to go from SFO to ORD.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I've done C on the 380 and thought it was a great experience - and better than F on several other airlines, including some SQ configs. So that would be my vote.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1P, various worthless hotel status levels
As an airline/airplane geek, I found the A380 C experience to be one of the high points of my flying career. I've only done C on a few other carriers (United a bunch, Air France, USAir, ANA) but I thought it was an amazing experience on a fantastic aircraft. I flew SQ right after they got their first 380, so maybe since the plane was so new and the crew, pax, and everyone was so excited made it special, but it was a lot of fun and definitely better than the usual UA C.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
why not use 30K UA miles to get free SQ C ticket HKG-SIN?

Is it hard to redeem for 380 flight?
Old May 13, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
SQ F > SQ C > UA C That is my thinking on that. Unless you want to try out the whale jet.
+1 totally

C on a few other carriers (United a bunch, Air France, USAir, ANA) but I thought it was an amazing experience on a fantastic aircraft. I flew SQ right after they got their first 380, so maybe since the plane was so new and the crew, pax, and everyone was so excited made it special, but it was a lot of fun and definitely better than the usual UA C.[/QUOTE]

By all means, if you want to take the 380 then use this opportunity and do it. But my preference would be SQ F on any any config over the 380 in business.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kb1992
why not use 30K UA miles to get free SQ C ticket HKG-SIN?

Is it hard to redeem for 380 flight?
Because redeeming UA miles to get on SQ's aircraft with the new configurations is practically impossible.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by kluau88
Because redeeming UA miles to get on SQ's aircraft with the new configurations is practically impossible.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it WAS impossible???
I don't believe that SQ makes these seats available.
Dave
Old May 13, 2010, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ has like 3 billion configurations on the 777s, so OP be careful.

I am 99% confident the "F" on this "regional" 772 is going to be nothing more than a wide lounge chair, like this.

If you do not plan on sleeping and want to be entertained, that would probably be the only reason to choose this service.

OTOH, "C" on both the UA 744 and SQ A380 will be lie flat.

Again, service on SQ will be better than UA. The seats are pretty competitive with each other, however the A380 looks like it's extremely wide, but note in the photo how the foot rest area narrows down. I have never sat in this seat, but the complaints are very common about how one needs to lie on an angle to be comfortable.

If I wanted to enjoy food/wine, I'd pick SQ F.

If I had just flown in from North America and was dead tired, I would prefer SQ C (simply because it's an option that isn't always available to me in the U.S., and I've never experienced the 380 C seat), but if it meant a 4-5 hour connection while the UA flight is 1.5-2 hours, I'd probably just take UA C (and know it will count towards my MM status).

Also, a few posts up it was mentioned that somebody would take SQ F just to get access to the UA IFL for showers; at HKG, there are two showers available for any RCC guest, and if you are *G, there is a shower at the TG lounge around the corner.

Interestingly, there are no showers in the SQ HKG SKL, in fact...there aren't even restrooms there!
Old May 13, 2010, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Thanks for all the responses. I have an update. Option c, one that i hadn't considered.

You see, I am flying to HKG from LAX on a CX award via AA. For a $150 change fee, I can extend that award to include a CX F flight to SIN.

So that's what i am going to do!
Old May 13, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by kluau88
Originally Posted by bseller
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it WAS impossible???
I don't believe that SQ makes these seats available.
Dave
Yes, SQ block A380 award seats. Otherwise UA members would flood the SQ A380 flights !

Originally Posted by zrs70
Thanks for all the responses. I have an update. Option c, one that i hadn't considered.

You see, I am flying to HKG from LAX on a CX award via AA. For a $150 change fee, I can extend that award to include a CX F flight to SIN.

So that's what i am going to do!
Agree this is most efficient since you won't need to change carrier,etc. and 3HR CX F service is better than UA C or SQ C. Since A380 C/F experience is unique, save your orphan SQ miles for award flight opportunity next time.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by zrs70
..I can buy a Q fare ticket on UA for $195 and upgrade to C with 10,000 miles and $50 bucks.

Or I can take my 45k orphaned SQ miles and get a standard C award on the 380..
The UA config on this route is pretty nice too .. and unlike me who fails to ug this route on a full fare, UA will be glad to take your $50 and offer your a flay seat.

But it depends on 'how orphaned' those SQ miles are. With SQ quickly getting rid off their old birds on the longhauls, their great one-way awards become near worthless at a rapid pace. So if you have no other way to burn them, then this route would be indeed a great one. Unless of course you are willing to fly to NRT first and redeem it from there in order to have a longer flight ....

SQ380 in Biz is pretty much the best thing that I experienced in the air. I'd take it over almost any F experience I ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.