FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   No DEN-MIA flights next week? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1082405-no-den-mia-flights-next-week.html)

GRU the wanderer May 6, 10 2:58 pm

No DEN-MIA flights next week?

The flight I usually take simply disappeared. Is that route dead, do you know? Nothing shows up on unitedcargo. Really strange, because it's usually a pretty full plane whenever I took it.

buckeyefanflyer May 6, 10 3:20 pm

Must be a seasonal route, it comes back in late December. That is somewhat unusual in that most large cities have year round service to hub airports. Also considering they pulled out of FLL and PBI.

GRU the wanderer May 6, 10 4:15 pm

Well, looking on the bright side I am getting some extra mileage going through ORD or IAD. I'll try to get on one of those 3-class domestic flights and enjoy the flight out of DEN.

Very strange that they killed that route. Easily over 80% load on a daily basis.

GoPUBoilers May 6, 10 4:59 pm

It makes no sense to me for there to be no flight to MIA or FLL. Even AA runs a 757 to MIA

DenverBrian May 6, 10 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers (Post 13913049)
It makes no sense to me for there to be no flight to MIA or FLL. Even AA runs a 757 to MIA

Um, MIA is a hub for AA.

UAPremierGuy May 6, 10 5:39 pm

Remember, a full plane does not necessarily equate with profit. MIA for UA is largely a leisure destination now.

BurBunny May 7, 10 1:24 am

Definitely a seasonal issue, though the re-start in December is later than mid-November's return of the route in 2009.

Hate that I have no mainline options for flights down in October. The only flights that work for me mean at least one segment is on USlessAir, or fly both on CO.

JLaw725 May 7, 10 10:35 am

It's seasonal. I fly DEN-MIA 1x a month. (wish it was FLL though). Starts mid November and ends early May. (Last flight was 5/6). I've complained to UA, but I get it. They did respond though with the "lack of sustained capacity" reason. But you're right, all the DEN-MIA-DEN flights I was on were full. So were the old Ted flights DEN to FLL and MIA. So go figure. In the off season I connect via ORD or IAD. (Extra miles/segments)

twoaisleplane May 7, 10 11:32 am

I have no knowledge of whether this is accurate or not, but when MIA let go its mainline employees, there were posts commenting that this was a contractual thing -- MIA had been designated an express station, and a mainline aircraft could only operate there up to five months of the year; if it operated any more than that, UA would have to put in mainline employees.

If true, I'm not sure why they wouldn't just switch it to a UX route for the rest of the year.

rch4u May 7, 10 11:38 am

At 1700+ miles, DEN-MIA would be pushing it on a regional jet.

GoPUBoilers May 7, 10 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 13913136)
Um, MIA is a hub for AA.

And DEN is a hub for UA...so what?

mike_one2many May 7, 10 1:50 pm

CO DEN-IAH-MIA, -FLL, or -PBI should be a good option :)

channa May 7, 10 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by mike_one2many (Post 13917877)
CO DEN-IAH-MIA, -FLL, or -PBI should be a good option :)

No E+ and pay TV? Is that what makes it a good option?

BurBunny May 9, 10 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 13917929)
No E+ and pay TV? Is that what makes it a good option?

Exactly. Giving up E+ on a midcon with a connection is *not* what I call a good option. Better than USless, but only marginally.

My HQ is in FLL, and I usually am down there 3+ times a year. Almost makes me want to fly F9 for the convenience. Will depend on my EQM status for the year.

iquitos May 9, 10 2:02 pm

UA gave up to easily

on MIA. With the merger you will have it via IAH. One would think UAL could compete Den - MIA direct year round. There must be plenty of traffic. What does this say about the DEN hub?