Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What lounge do United F class pax use in BKK?

Old May 4, 10, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am assuming not the Thai F lounge with its free massages and restaurant?
Old May 4, 10, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration View Post

Actually, the Thai F lounge is very nice...was there about 2 months ago...breakfast made to order, incredible service. Opens at 5:15AM so you have enough time to visit before the flight to Narita
Old May 4, 10, 7:13 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Agreed!

Still remember having our omelettes served by a beautifully-clad attendant who sat on the floor with legs and feet tucked discreetly to one side as she placed service items and then the food.
Quite enchanting at any hour
Old May 4, 10, 8:23 pm

You have a choice of the Thai lounge or the Thai lounge. I am assuming you will choose the Thai lounge. Too bad you never had the opportunity to use the old UA F lounge. What a treat it was!
Old May 5, 10, 9:50 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Indeed, the Thai F lounge is *very* nice. The real problem is that the flight is so early in the morning. If it were an evening flight, I'd arrive at around 2:00 pm and just enjoy for 5 hours!

As it is, plan to arrive early and at least have a nice breakfast - it's sure to be better than breakfast on the UA flight, even in F.
Old May 5, 10, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration View Post
It´s the -too late opening- TG F lounge indeed. However for UA pax there´s no massage available...

F.R.
Old May 5, 10, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by snic View Post
Indeed, the Thai F lounge is *very* nice. The real problem is that the flight is so early in the morning. If it were an evening flight, I'd arrive at around 2:00 pm and just enjoy for 5 hours!
If the lounge were open all night I'd arrive at 2AM, after generous portions of food and beverage local style, and ready to enjoy 5 hours of food and beverage akin to a good F lounge.
Old May 13, 10, 8:20 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
BKK questions - when does checkin open, and best lounge for C pax?

My unstatused SIL is on 882 tomorrow in upgraded C, which has been her plan for some time (no early departure due to unrest).

Given the situation this evening in Bangkok, and attendant logistical issues, she has checked out of her hotel and is on her way to BKK, and will arrive about 7 hours prior to scheduled departure.

I do not know if she has a BP already of if she will get it at checkin. Can anyone advise when the Checkin positions open for this 6:50 a.m. flight. Also, as a GM in upgraded C, she ought to get admittance to the star alliance gold lounges there - after such an early arrival, she will likely find a shower nice before her BKK-NRT-IAD journey. Can anyone advise if the Thai (*A Gold) lounges at E3 and E4 will be open?
Old May 13, 10, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
Check in opens about 4am, so she will not be able to check-in for her flight earlier than that, nor will she be able to get to a lounge, as you need a boarding pass to do that. At last check (1 week ago), the TG business class lounge opens at 5:15am. When I departed last week, UA 882 left from Gate D6, not D2 as it usually does..

Shame ... there are lots of fun ways to spend the early morning hours in Bangkok that is nowhere near any unrest. Is her hotel near Ratchaprasong intersection that necessitated checkout?
Old May 13, 10, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Let's see if I can nail down all your issues.

1) She cannot check in until about 4AM. Even online checkin will not give a BP
2) She will get lounge access (TG C,D and/or E concourse) but I don't know what time SQ in B concourse opens
3) TG has showers in the C and E concourse lounges
4) TG lounges open at 5:15AM so it's very possible she will have BP, clear immigration and get inside the terminal only to find that the lounges are not yet open.
Old May 13, 10, 10:37 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Thank you. I've emailed the information to her.

She is at the JW Marriott, which I understand to be near the unrest.

Tomorrow has been her scheduled check out and flight for some time, but the US Embassy predicted power outages, telephone outages, and transport issues that could make getting around difficult. The notice was more particularized than the general State Department alerts, and indicated that the Embassy will be closed tomorrow. But, at bottom, her concern seems more logistical than safety related.
Old May 13, 10, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA Platinum
The US Embassy will be closed because Wireless Rd will be closed.

Your post in 2 messages above is correct. The issue is really that she cannot get to any lounges until after she clears immigration, and she cannot do that without a boarding pass issued at the UA counter, and the counter usually doesn't open until 4:00am.

Now if she is there at 4:00am, and she checks in at the UA BKK ticket counter and and gets her boarding pass and gets through immigration, she is still too early to get into the lounge, which doesn't open until 5:15am. She can ask at the counter about another lounge that would accept her UA C boarding pass, but I don't remember one opening earlier than that.

On the level below the check-in counters, there are some restaurants and a massage place and beauty salon, she can get to these with no problem. A 2 hour massage would kill time, but I'm not sure they are open all night.

If she is a tiny bit adventurous, she can leave her luggage with left luggage at the airport, then take a 75 baht taxi 10 mins to the Lat Krabang Soi 48 area, I have noted its position on this map:

Link: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.720...,0.066047&z=15

Roughly, right in back of Thong Ta resort, a 30 second walk from Thanon Lat Krabang, there are a dozen restaurants and bars, most open very late (3am). A couple have live music (acoustic). It is a very laid-back scene and very Thai, but the food is good and the atmosphere is relaxed and perfectly safe. I recommend "Lullaby" as a good spot.

It would be a shame to have to spend 4 hours in the BKK airport with nothing to do.

-

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; May 13, 10 at 11:20 am
Old May 14, 10, 8:45 am

Thank you for the information. In the end, SIL hung out at the airport with a colleague, made business calls to folks on the US, East Coast and at 4:00 a.m., checked in. Royal Silk Lounge at E concourse opened at 5 - she got a shower and shot some emails off.

she is currently en route NRT-IAD and will get to my brother and their 7, 4, and 4 year old boys this afternoon.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: