Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Glenn Tilton "Bloggers (flyertalkers) have too much time on their hands"

Old May 5, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Interesting contrast to Mayhruber, who took the time to meet with us personally in FRA at the Megado.

Whose shares would you rather own?
Old May 5, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 2P, DL SkyMiles, HH Silver, PriorityClub
Say, isn't this a forum, not a blog? I certainly don't feel like a blogger when I'm on this fiorum.

Seriously, I think the quicker they kick Tilton to the curb the better.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ORD2World
There are, of course, useful insights and "trend marking" when the sum total of various FT comments are tallied. I am sure there is someone, somewhere within United that takes a view on this, and prepares an appropriate report...
To say nothing of "word of mouth marketing," which goes on in many forums, and likely here.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:17 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
Well, how is that not true?
Fair point, but should a company CEO speak with such disdain about the company's customers or potential customers? I'm guessing he treats FTers as a group, with the same regard he treats pilots, flight attendants, and other UA employees, but he can't touch most of our pensions.

Originally Posted by HeavyG
Say, isn't this a forum, not a blog? I certainly don't feel like a blogger when I'm on this forum.
Just another indication that he is out of touch.

Last edited by youreadyfreddie; May 5, 2010 at 11:22 am
Old May 5, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Fair point, but should a company CEO speak with such disdain about the company's customers or potential customers?
Have you read the transcript?

Let me help you,
Glenn, you are either doing a deal that is about to destroy the best airline in the world, or Jeff, you are getting into bed with the devil and you should be removed and taken out and shot.
So the question was asking them to respond to bloggers that are implying that UA was crap, CO awesome and UA being the devil will now possibly destroy the awesome CO.

Yeah, saying those folks have too much time on their hands was probably as diplomatic a response as one could hope for.

not that any of that matters, being as this is FT and it involves The Great Satan himself facts, rational thought or reason should and surely will be ignored by many, forget those pesky things just come up with a neat three word (not too long, has to fit on a sign/tshirt/wristband) slogan to chant.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Fair point, but should a company CEO speak with such disdain about the company's customers or potential customers?
For goodness sake! It was a deflection of a loaded question - nothing more. It may have been clumsy, and it may have been ill-considered, and with the benefit of hindsight he may well choose to say something else.

Let's remember Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
Old May 5, 2010, 12:08 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by benblaney
For goodness sake! It was a deflection of a loaded question - nothing more. It may have been clumsy, and it may have been ill-considered, and with the benefit of hindsight he may well choose to say something else.

Let's remember Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
Couldn't agree more.
This is much ado about nothing.
And believe me, I'm no Tilton apologist- I think he's horrendous.

But, in his defense, 99%+ of the posts about the merger on FT so far have been speculative AT BEST, and many of them downright idiotic.

Last edited by aisleorwindow; May 5, 2010 at 12:26 pm Reason: typo
Old May 5, 2010, 12:20 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
Originally Posted by g_leyser
But, in his defense, 99%+ of the posts about the merger on FT so far have been speculative AT BEST, and many of them downright idiotic.
Post. Of. The. Day.
Old May 5, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
YES Thank you! ^
Old May 5, 2010, 1:25 pm

... But, in his defense, 99%+ of the posts about the merger on FT so far have been speculative AT BEST, and many of them downright idiotic ...
There's no smoke without a fire.

So far this merger announcement and official publicity about it creates more questions than gives answers. Hence speculative posts on FT.
Idiotic? Maybe, but that's reaction to idiotic livery and image of "new" United.
Old May 5, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Well today, in one day, he is making more money than you will make in a year. I don't think he cares what everyone else is doing...?

Ciao,
FH
Yep, because most people on FT are making less than $25,000/year
Old May 5, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Yep, because most people on FT are making less than $25,000/year
Wow. So everything's peachy because Tilton is only making $25K a day?
Old May 5, 2010, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tnarg-lax
I'd have to agree.... I mean, after all, we ARE all here, debating it!
+1

However, the fact that Tilton is right does not excuse his incompetence nor does it detract from the veracity of what he was asked.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by COFreqFlyer
Post. Of. The. Day.
+1

Also, if there was any question as to whether UA pays attention to FT, take notice of the flyertalk-specific banner ads UA's marketing is running right now to promote ORD-China flights in contrast with AA's ORD-PEK debacle.

Note the "campaign=ChiBeijing/FlyerTalk/banner" in the URL
Old May 5, 2010, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
What banner ads? I think that has more to do with internet marketing companies using keywords.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.