Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i'm not sure why, but i just can't get up in arms about this. yes, it'll take some getting used to....but it's not like i'm going to defect over it. where would i go?
Old May 3, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UpstateNY
Do we really believe this represents the final decision on the logo, as opposed to something done quickly (and temporarily) to publicize the merger?
As a rule of thumb, you should never publicize something that you don't intend to use.

So I'd say this is pretty close to how it will look.

Based on the microsites, news releases, press conferences, etc., it seems the PR staff was sitting right outside the board room when the negotiations were taking place, so I suspect UA had a degree of PR expertise on hand.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I'd prefer the United typeface, the serif Continental typeface is too small and compact for such a short name, even in all caps.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, United Club lifetime member, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
Do we really believe this represents the final decision on the logo, as opposed to something done quickly (and temporarily) to publicize the merger? I assume there are many months of highly paid branding consultants, designs, focus groups, etc., ahead before there's a final logo, livery, font, or anything else.
From the answer to the first FAQ on the merger site:

"Continental and United are combining in a merger of equals to form a new airline which will be called United Airlines and will use the Continental logo and colors as its marketing brand. The planes will be painted in Continental’s livery, including the globe tail."
Old May 3, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I don't see why UA would throw away all that effort on the United FONT for this crappy continental font, or a variation on it. Blah.

Tail fin, semi okay, colors might be better done. Font, forget it. Looks like they went to the font guy and said "whatever is cheapest"
Old May 3, 2010, 7:22 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by Jilani

"Continental and United are combining in a merger of equals to form a new airline which will be called United Airlines and will use the Continental logo and colors as its marketing brand. The planes will be painted in Continental’s livery, including the globe tail."
Huh. Okay, I stand corrected. Ugly or not, I hope they get whatever livery they come up with on the planes pretty quickly. For some reason it has always annoyed me that it has taken UA years to only halfway complete its most recent change in livery.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Logos don't matter much. Lots of companies change logos. It isn't like UA's logo hasn't changed over the years.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Wow, I'm having a frequent flier identity crisis.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Looks like they went to the font guy and said "whatever is cheapest"
Or they called up John, the graphic designer in Houston, and asked him to send over the standard CO font?
Old May 3, 2010, 7:27 am

So ugly
Old May 3, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
I like the new logo and livery! But, I am concerned about the route map on the merger website. Taipei, Bangkok and several other Asian destinations are missing.
This really concerns me as well as I flies to Taipei four times a year. If the route is gone, I will be forced to go to DL
Old May 3, 2010, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by UNITED959
As a rule of thumb, you should never publicize something that you don't intend to use.

So I'd say this is pretty close to how it will look.

Based on the microsites, news releases, press conferences, etc., it seems the PR staff was sitting right outside the board room when the negotiations were taking place, so I suspect UA had a degree of PR expertise on hand.

It's transitional and final schemes won't come out for quite a while. Expect a two year integration before a final aircraft scheme is arrived at and fresh paint applied. AC and CP went through a similar merging and had a transitional tail/body paint job before the final new look emerged. This is a simple compromise that highlights the key graphic/wordmark of each carrier.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
So ugly
Really just the font needs work.`
Old May 3, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's transitional and final schemes won't come out for quite a while; This is a simple compromise that highlights the key graphic/wordmark of each carrier.
Well, obviously. But we can pretty much expect that the livery will not be polished metal with pink and green strips running down the middle.

For all intents and purposes, UA expects the plane will look identical to the renderings shown on the merger website.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by Jilani

While that is what's said, I think the image is just a concept, and the final image will be a much improved one. Some ideas: The United "tulip" (is that what people call it?) is the U at the beginning of United. Or I see the globe image with the "tulip" over it in a translucent way. This gives the impression of Uniting the world.

I have all this work to do, and all I want to do is come up with possible designs. (Maybe they should do a contest or ask for submissions.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.