Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Old May 3, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
Yup. They'll definitely keep the UNITED font the same.
No they won't. The CO font, palette, layout templates, use of white space, identity guides, etc. are all integrated and interconnected. We're not having another AA/TW mess where the TWA logo was stickered, albeit temporarily, onto an integrated AA brand. The resulting mess looked like a high-school design project and was terrible to behold. The blocky UA sans-serif logotype will end up sleeping with tulips.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Really just the font needs work.`
The font is the #1 problem. However, I think the globe on the tail, the pin stripe, and the color scheme need to be modernized just a little bit. It feels dated. I am ok with a combined livery of some sort if they can just clean it all up.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mechteach
Another 90 seconds with photoshop for the globe logo and United fontmark:

I like this better. Strangely, I think the name United is too short to look good in the continental font. Also, the mocup they have on the merger page has the font too large. In my view, they should either do "UNITED" in block font or "United Airlines" in a slightly smaller Continental font.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
I propose a FT vote on this...

UA tulip/UA font
CO globe/UA font (my vote to incorporate CO)
UA tulip/CO font
CO globe/CO font

Bonus option: include something to do w/ Eastern.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:02 am
EAL

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Virgin America Elevate

This looks better actually...amazing what a little change can do. I was thinking if they kept the newer United planes blues as the underbelly with the Continental logo on the tail...that might look nice! Can anyone photoshop that in?
Old May 3, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mike_plat
United also didn't help change this perception by STILL having so many planes with dirty, dull, blistering paint, such as you might see on a '78 Volare that's still on the road today.
Maybe there is a reason they held off painting those planes @:-)
Old May 3, 2010, 11:04 am

One word: gross.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
If they keep all our elite bene's, which in one of the FAQ's it lists many which are important to all of us (at least for now seems like we have reason for hope!)- then I couldn't care less about the livery actually. Honestly, it's the service that makes the logo work as is the case in all marketing. How many people actually choose the airline to fly on "ooh I like how that plane is painted, let's fly them!". I doubt it. For the Kettles is nearly 100% on price, with service/hassle factor a close second. For elite's, it's all about the elite program ie "how well will you treat me in terms of ff program and elite bene's if I commit to fly your airline all year". Period. I'd fly a UPS plane if the bene's were sweet and they gave me a lie flat bed and a warm meal and a smile!
Old May 3, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

Much, much better ^
Old May 3, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by imm2b
I'll bet this is not the final version. They probably will come up with something more catchy as the merger goes along.
+1

I think this will go through some tweeks before planes start rolling out in the joint livery.

That being said, I think what is more important is that both companies are aware of the fact they need to reach out to loyal fliers on both sides. I am pretty impressed they've been so proactive rolling this out on the day of the announcement.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by xzh445
Are you NOT going to fly them because of a logo or font?
A hastily slapped together or ugly logo makes one wonder about the possibility
of other hastily slapped together or ugly things.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:08 am

90 seconds of photoshop yields (hardly professional, but you get what you pay for):

or

I actually like #2. Could definitely get used to that....Seems like a waste to let such an ubiquitous symbol disappear
Old May 3, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I think people are reading too much into this route map. It has some glaring errors.
My faves so far:
- moving BUR to the middle of the Pacific
- moving ONT to the similarly-named province
Old May 3, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What happened - I can't see the custom designs that several of you have raved about?
Old May 3, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
+3,297 Change the font, please!

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Yes, Continental is taking the United brand in a new and better direction, no question about this. CO already knows that many of its own elites -- particularly in the NYC market -- came directly from United in the last decade and have some intensely negative perceptions of United as a result. Not to mention, it promotes buy in from both CO employees (who want some reassurance of continuity) and for UA employees (who can feel at long last, the airline is moving in a direction that is positive for them). The maintenance of CO's logo and livery was a simple but powerful way to accomplish this. I'd have felt CO had died -- and that it's time to start looking elsewhere in earnest - had UA's branding survived, and I'm simply not alone in this.

Welcome aboard.
You would have felt that way if you still had your DeathStar on the tail, but only changed the font to what those of us from the UA side identify with UA?

I agree with the other 3,297 posters in this thread (well, not that many yet, but at the rate it's going, it will be soon) that the font for "UNITED" is dreadful. Just change that one thing, and we both can relate similarly to the new airline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.