Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Name the "New United" Frequent Flyer Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name the "New United" Frequent Flyer Program

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
but it is a good sign that USA Today reports that United shareholders will own 55% of the new airline, and I am therefore hopeful Mileage Plus will live on in name and function!
I hope not function.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA nothing
Does it really matter? I don't think One Pass would work, so MP is fine. More importantly we need to start threads to expand the PC free drinks to the RCC and no, I don't care what they are called just as long as they have free drinks. Say no to chits!
Old May 3, 2010, 12:49 pm

"Mileage Plus" has better brand equity. Its name says it's actually about, you know, miles. "OnePass" otoh... what's a OnePass? A boarding pass for Zone 1? Or like when there's a pretty girl next to you in F, you get OnePass at her, and if you spill your drink on her forget it?
Old May 3, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by N1120A
All of the branding will default to legacy United branding, if this actually goes through.
This means United Airlines, MileagePlus, 1K/1P/2P, etc.
Can you give us a update on that?

Originally Posted by Frequent Freak
"Mileage Plus" has better brand equity. Its name says it's actually about, you know, miles. "OnePass" otoh... what's a OnePass? A boarding pass for Zone 1? Or like when there's a pretty girl next to you in F, you get OnePass at her, and if you spill your drink on her forget it?
Actually, it is from when CO and EA Freq Flyer programs were merged, so that miles were accrued to one program, regardless of the metal flown.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 3, 2010 at 4:26 pm Reason: merge
Old May 3, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
I have noticed that they kept referring to the new frequent flier program as just that "new" not "combined" or one of the two. Makes me believe they may really try to create some "enhanced" joint program
Old May 3, 2010, 8:19 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Arrow Also they might spin off the mileage program

From one of the CO forum's regular IB'ers

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ideration.html
Old May 3, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
I know this is the United forum, and so people are "United" optimistic, but keep in mind that the only thing really announced to stay from United is the name. Everything else - Mileage Plus, E+, SWU's, could go away. Remember, that the CO boss will be running the show. No one will know for sure until the details are actually worked out, but it is a good sign that USA Today reports that United shareholders will own 55% of the new airline, and I am therefore hopeful Mileage Plus will live on in name and function!
55%? - you wouldn't think so judging by the new logo and livery (yuk!), looks more like 25%
Old May 8, 2010, 8:26 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
The postcard I found bound into a copy of the April Global Traveler said
SUBSCRIBE NOW AND EARN UP TO 1,500 miles
SAVE NEARLY 40% OFF YOUR SUBSCRIPTION
SAVE NEARLY 40% & EARN UNITED SKYMILES
Old May 8, 2010, 9:02 am

+1!

Originally Posted by 1bentley
Does it really matter? I don't think One Pass would work, so MP is fine. More importantly we need to start threads to expand the PC free drinks to the RCC and no, I don't care what they are called just as long as they have free drinks. Say no to chits!
Old May 8, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
hear, hear!

[QUOTE
<snip>
the combined forum should be this UA forum, with our current UA mods.[/QUOTE]

....unless you want your head snapped off as recently occurred to me when I ventured into the CO forum and encountered a rather bitter response from a well-established (11,000+ posts) mod
Old May 8, 2010, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Great Name Idea!

I've just thought of a great new name idea. Call it United Alliance Club after *Alliance.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
(^) - Program formally known as mileage plus.
Old May 8, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by adisneyfan2
(^) - Program formally known as mileage plus.
Is there a symbol we can use instead?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Carried over from this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...gram-name.html

Referencing this interview with Thomas O'Toole, old/new UA's CMO:
http://adage.com/article?article_id=148861

Apparently, the program WILL have a new name. I'd guess that it, like the new United Club brand, will be "streamlined." United One? (Way too generic.) United Plus? ("Plus" branding is pretty common on UA, so that might cause confusion.) United Mileage? (Sounds like "silage.")

BTW, O'Toole mentions E+!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
United OnePass has a REALLY nice ring to it!
^+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.