Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does United take away your miles if I cancel my United Credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Jan 2010, I have 5K united miles.

Feb 2010, I signed up for a United credit card and rewarded 25K miles.

Apr 2010, I earn another 1K miles from credit card purchase.

Today, I have a total of 31K miles.

I am planning to cancel this credit card today and sign up for another United credit card Promotion.

My question is that if I cancel my united credit card today. Does united fortified my 25K bonus or I can still keep it?

How many miles do I have after cancellation?
A) Back to 5K miles
B) 6K miles
C) 31K miles

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
UA doesn't care. Chase on the other hand, will probably care since those miles have been paid for by Chase. It's possible that Chase might instruct UA to remove the miles from your account.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
If the miles are already in your UA account, cancelling the credit card may not effect them. If they have yet to be delivered to your UA account (are in limbo) cancelling the cc will almost definitely effect them.

NOTE: In the bonus conditions there is a statement that if you close your account within 6 months of account opening, UA and Chase reserve the right to take away the bonus (25K in your case). I have not heard of this happening and I do know some who have closed the credit card account right after bonus points posted. However, that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.
Basically, if I were you, I would wait until the six month term has elapsed and then close the account.
Check the specific T&C of the offer you signed up for for a definite answer.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks bniu,

So I should keep my current Chase Credit Card and apply for the new one?

Use up all the miles before I cancel any of the cards.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by L4LAKERSMAN
Thanks bniu,

So I should keep my current Chase Credit Card and apply for the new one?

Use up all the miles before I cancel any of the cards.
Check with MP rules to be sure, but they may be able to come after you if your miles balance goes negative. I really don't know whether they can or not, but it is definitely something you should look into before you do something like that.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Also you might want to wait until after you get approved for the next UAL card since if it's also a chase card they can block you for movement on your credit report. Opening and closing accounts is a negative reporter.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

The reason that I want to cancel my 1st Chase card because I'm afraid that Chase will not give me the 50K bonus for the 2nd card.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm afraid that Chase will not give me the 50K bonus for the 2nd card.
No need to be afraid - you won't get the miles. All their bonus programs are for first-time cardmembers only. You might get lucky after 2-3 years of not being a cardmember, but this soon? No way.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No need to be afraid - you won't get the miles. All their bonus programs are for first-time cardmembers only. You might get lucky after 2-3 years of not being a cardmember, but this soon? No way.
Second this comment. There have been several threads on this in the past - Chase is being dilligent in trying to make sure people can't churn cards to get the bonuses.

As for the "choices". If you cancel the card, these will most likely go away in a short timeframe. This is generally the rule of thumb with all credit cards (AMEX MR does this). AMEX gives you 30 days to use any remaining MR points if you cancel the card. I am pretty sure that Chase has a similar policy.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

If I won't get the 50K miles for the 2nd card, there is really no reason for me to apply for the second card.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:09 pm

If I won't get the 50K miles for the 2nd card, there is really no reason for me to apply for the second card.
If you just want to switch to another card for the extra benefits you can just call Chase and they can move you to the new card. No need to cancel and re-apply.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UAMP
The reason that I want to cancel my 1st Chase card because I'm afraid that Chase will not give me the 50K bonus for the 2nd card.
I would try to hop on the CO card if you haven't.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
All I can say is:

UA had better NOT take away my miles if you cancel your credit card!
Pronouns and antecedents, anyone?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:17 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
If you just want to switch to another card for the extra benefits you can just call Chase and they can move you to the new card. No need to cancel and re-apply.
No longer the case.
Was told that the type of card could not be changed after the new rules.

Thanks bniu, So I should keep my current Chase Credit Card and apply for the new one? Use up all the miles before I cancel any of the cards.
If you are serious, get the continental card as well - 30k bonus and 5 k for extra card member - you get to 66k already. Then get the continental debit card for 21k. Then the Amex rewards for 25k - tr to CO program. With all this, you should hit 125k soon, enough for a C award to almost anywhere. Remember the UA and CO ff programs have to merge next year.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:17 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
They may not take miles in your account out of your account unless they published some rule specifying that and you could have read that rule before applying for the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.