Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What's so First Class about the Ice Cream Sundae?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's funny that I have nothing better to think about...BUT:

Why is the "Ice Cream Sundae" (herein referred to as ICS) such a big deal and played up to be so exclusive and wonderful for First Class travel? I mean, I know they add some liquers and toffee, but it's still ICE CREAM! I don't know about the rest of you, but I remember at age 2 or 3 begging my parents for ice cream, and I could only have some if I finished my meal. And now, the same stuff is being served to the so-called elitest cabin on airplanes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it must cost significantly more to make the cakes and crisps and other desserts served in business than to freeze some milk and dump a small bottle of booze on top.

Don't get me wrong, the ICS is very tasty and I enjoy it a lot, but for a cabin that's going for a "step above" reputation, I think serving ice cream brings the level down a bit. I mean, I can get an ICS at McDonald's, the ball park, or from a truck that plays music and drives around my house. The last time I was at a Sox game--speaking of which, they're doing pretty good, but I digress--I don't recall seeing the "Chocolate Banana Torte with Raspberry Sauce" stand.

Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I don't know about you, but I get more than just a simple scoop of vanilla. FAs routinely serve me Bananas Foster, and then swing by with the Cigar Humidor Cart©.

Or I get my ice cream alongside cherries jubilee...

What I find most annoying, though, is that I'm required to pre-order my souffle' upon boarding. I mean, how am I supposed to know what I'll feel like for dessert an hour into the flight at 30,000 feet?!?!
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:26 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
And they still won't let me use my cellphone... horrors
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
I don't know about you, but I get more than just a simple scoop of vanilla. FAs routinely serve me Bananas Foster, and then swing by with the Cigar Humidor Cart©.

Or I get my ice cream alongside cherries jubilee...

What I find most annoying, though, is that I'm required to pre-order my souffle' upon boarding. I mean, how am I supposed to know what I'll feel like for dessert an hour into the flight at 30,000 feet?!?!
</font>

You must be flying that other United Airlines.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ice Cream....ummmmmm. I think I'll cash in a Standard First Award and fly to Orlando today, just to have my Dom, caviar, Chateaubriand, sundae, cigar, massage, back waxed and nose hairs trimmed.

Anyone want to join me?
Old Aug 7, 2003, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I don't consider it a "big deal", but I do think it is a nice treat, along with the after-dessert aperitifs (for me, Baileys and Amaretto).

I also like the hot chocolate chip cookies and milk they serve on the lunch and snack flights, as well.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Anyone want to join me? </font>
I would, but since they canned the Bollinger in favor of Dom it just isn't worth a standard award anymore.

Saver award, sure. Maybe even a split award. But a standard award? For plain old Dom? You've got to be kidding!
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I would, but since they canned the Bollinger in favor of Dom it just isn't worth a standard award anymore.</font>
You know, you have a point there. And ever since they've swapped out the Gold lavatory fixtures for those tacky brass things (in the Jacuzzi, no less!), it really does downgrade the value of a Standard Award.

But still, there is that sundae to consider!
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It is a big deal on UA! For those of us that fly the class formerly known as F on US, the ICS is invisible.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:
It's funny that I have nothing better to think about...BUT:

Why is the "Ice Cream Sundae" (herein referred to as ICS) such a big deal and played up to be so exclusive and wonderful for First Class travel? I mean, I know they add some liquers and toffee, but it's still ICE CREAM! I don't know about the rest of you, but I remember at age 2 or 3 begging my parents for ice cream, and I could only have some if I finished my meal. And now, the same stuff is being served to the so-called elitest cabin on airplanes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it must cost significantly more to make the cakes and crisps and other desserts served in business than to freeze some milk and dump a small bottle of booze on top.

Don't get me wrong, the ICS is very tasty and I enjoy it a lot, but for a cabin that's going for a "step above" reputation, I think serving ice cream brings the level down a bit. I mean, I can get an ICS at McDonald's, the ball park, or from a truck that plays music and drives around my house. The last time I was at a Sox game--speaking of which, they're doing pretty good, but I digress--I don't recall seeing the "Chocolate Banana Torte with Raspberry Sauce" stand.

</font>
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:24 pm

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, er, I mean better than a cookie.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PremEx and gleff, would you please post the tail numbers of the aircraft you've been riding?

I can't believe you got stuck with the Jacuzzi and brass fixture models--I thought those were gone. Please don't tell me they used glass instead of the Nambe' and Riedel. All of my rides have had, at the very least, a stainless steel swimming pool and a personal masseuse for each passenger. Although, after a while, the 24 karat toilet seat will start to indent--it's a bit too soft to support my weight.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:59 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Simply put, a sundae would have been a welcome change from the Eli's cheesecake that had been the no choice dessert offering for years on the vast majority of FC dinner flights that I had been on. Of course, considewring the food cuts that have taken place on UA, even the cheesecake might now not be turned away.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:
PremEx and gleff, would you please post the tail numbers of the aircraft you've been riding?</font>
The fancy 747-400 you are referring to has been pressed into domestic service LAX-SBA due to passenger loads and Standard Award redemptions.

You see, Brancatelli told everyone to dump their miles, so everyone in Tinseltown is cashing in miles for XF/XC/XY to get away for the weekend.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited 08-07-2003).]
Old Aug 7, 2003, 3:43 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Any Ice Cream on A320 FC ?
Old Aug 7, 2003, 4:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Well, ICS is better than no ICS.

If you don't want it, don't take it.

More for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.