Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

 
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:48 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Posts: 4,835
Eurostar is not a solution at this point. The black market is in full speed at the Gare du Nord.. one of my collegues sold his ticket to London for 400 euros !
couscous is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:53 am
  #92  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Posts: 317
DawgmanOH- Glad you could make as far as MUC out of northern Europe. Looks like most *A carriers are still operating out of there so far. And hopefully you'll be able to catch one of those flights. Good luck mate! And I wish you the best.


Silver Fox- I do believe, unfortunately, beacuse our buckets are empty for the next couple of days that the system is glitching out and not finding anything. Also, unfortunately, it's more than likely going to be a wait and see game for the Northern EU area. If you have the patience enough, or maybe a little bit of luck as well, I would suggest our reservations line. But with the amount of international cancellations I know they are really tied down on call handling capacity.

Last edited by CleUnited; Apr 16, 2010 at 1:55 am Reason: forgot spellcheck
CleUnited is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:44 am
  #93  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: where lions are led by donkeys...
Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Posts: 20,378
Originally Posted by CleUnited
Silver Fox- I do believe, unfortunately, beacuse our buckets are empty for the next couple of days that the system is glitching out and not finding anything. Also, unfortunately, it's more than likely going to be a wait and see game for the Northern EU area. If you have the patience enough, or maybe a little bit of luck as well, I would suggest our reservations line. But with the amount of international cancellations I know they are really tied down on call handling capacity.
I just got through to the UK 1K desk within 1 minute and my AA colleague is extremely jealous ! Anyway, I seem to have a period of grace where I can use the travel waiver and I think 7 days was mentioned without penalty. 19/4 is wide open for my flight and I could rebook to that right now if I wanted. But I think I will wait until more is known throughout the day before I change my plans, and might just wait and see what happens. The only thing that I was not clear on is what happens if United cancels my flight - she could not tell me if it will be same flight/number different day, or if it would be a re-route with stops. Food for thought.
Silver Fox is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:20 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: MP
Posts: 16
Umm, maybe I'm dumb....

....but I am in UK and booked on 7:45 from LHR to ORD Saturday morning. No indications from any normal channel that the flight is impacted...but how could it NOT be?

Is best bet the customer service line?
lowlyORDPremier is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:44 am
  #95  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Posts: 10,233
Originally Posted by lowlyORDPremier
....but I am in UK and booked on 7:45 from LHR to ORD Saturday morning. No indications from any normal channel that the flight is impacted...but how could it NOT be?

Is best bet the customer service line?
The best bet is to watch the news. UK airspace is closed until at least 0100 Saturday but there is every expectation that this will be extended as a) the volcano is still erupting and b) there is no forecast change in wind speed/direction.



More optimistically, GLA is open and AC for one is operating from there. Too late for today, but for anyone on a full fare ticket this is a very viable alternative for tomorrow. GLA is easily accessible by train and, whilst all LHR/GLA traffic will now be going by train, there are lots of them.
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:47 am
  #96  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: where lions are led by donkeys...
Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Posts: 20,378
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The best bet is to watch the news. UK airspace is closed until at least 0100 Saturday but there is every expectation that this will be extended as a) the volcano is still erupting and b) there is no forecast change in wind speed/direction.
I am hoping that wayyyyy before 0100 they have made a decision as to the status.
Silver Fox is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:48 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
Posts: 426
To anybody planning to rebook via ZRH, try to avoid having to go to the transfer counter for any reason!!! Arriving on UA this morning, lines were crazy long (looked like at least 1 hour) Lounge staff unable to do anything, and the situation landside was just as bad.

UA flight itself was rather noneventful. Routing came in over Lyon instead of Paris as usual. Flight time 8:36 was slightly longer, and about 15-20 minutes delay at IAD due to noshow pax whose luggage had to be removed.
merlin is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 4:07 am
  #98  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FRA
Posts: 588
deleted

Last edited by servus; Apr 17, 2010 at 3:19 am Reason: deleting
servus is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:53 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: BHD
Programs: United 2P, HHonors Gold
Posts: 15
didnt take my OGG-LHR flight tonight, got rebooked to 04/20
ir68 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:25 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Posts: 494
advice please!

Rang the GS line who were not any help - they will not do anything until your flight is actually cancelled.

What is the best course of action? I hope/assume UA will rebook me on the next flight out of LHR, but how procative do I need to be?

Do I have any options, other than going by boat??
2358 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:55 am
  #101  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: where lions are led by donkeys...
Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Posts: 20,378
Originally Posted by hh1
Rang the GS line who were not any help - they will not do anything until your flight is actually cancelled.

What is the best course of action? I hope/assume UA will rebook me on the next flight out of LHR, but how procative do I need to be?

Do I have any options, other than going by boat??
My experience this morning is that they were happy to rebook me without it being cancelled but it is a TATL flight if that makes any difference. Of course it could all have changed in the two or so hours since I spoke to them.

UPDATE: Flight got cancelled for tomorrow 1035am 955 LHR-SFO, now rebooked on the earliest flight available which is Monday.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Apr 16, 2010 at 7:06 am
Silver Fox is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:03 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Posts: 5,585
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Unfortunately, this falls under the "acts of God" clause... ie., things like weather, which are unpredictable and not something United would pay for a hotel for except under the most unusual circumstances for a very high-level elite.
That was my read too, but seems incorrect. EU Transport Commissioner made a statement this morning that EU Regs are very clear here - airlines must pay food/lodging for stranded passengers due to the Iceland volcanic activity.
ironmanjt is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:11 am
  #103  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,037
Everything to Europe just canceled for tonight's flights....including Zurich.
LessO2 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:14 am
  #104  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
Posts: 58,717
Grrr...now the volcano is costing domestic folks, too. My Sunday night westbound transcon went from NF0 but F9 (wait-listed for ug for a couple weeks with CR1) to F0 overnight, presumably with rebooked connections from missed trans-As.

Yay, another transcon in coach after applying a CR1 several weeks in advance...this time on a 757.

UNLESS the ash hangs around through Sunday.

Sorry folks, at this point I'm rooting for the ash. [ducking]
kokonutz is offline  
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:17 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Washington DC
Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Posts: 320
This is certainly a mess! I'm supposed to fly IAD-BRU on Sunday for some critical meetings at NATO HQ (with most folks coming in via train or driving from most parts of Europe). No words or even chicken bones on possibilities for Sunday flights (I know if it does go it will be full so my SWU upgrade chance is pretty much nil), but have no idea if it will actually go...

grrr
drklain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.