Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

April/May 2010 - Volcanic Activity in Iceland and Impact to United's Operations

Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
I thought the cloud was there already. Where's a good link to a satellite view of it?
Here's a good graphic from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tml?ref=europe
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:36 am

Saturday 4/17

It looks like all departures from the US to LHR are canceled today so therefore no operations out of LHR on Sunday April 18. Sunday departures from the US are still planned, pending of course on the airspace being open.

Same thing goes for the rest of UA's European destinations with the exception of FCO which still shows operating. Middle East destinations not affected at this time and tonight's departure from IAD to KWI marks the first day of the tag to Bahrain tomorrow.

Edited to add: There is only one UA airplane in Europe, N780UA in CDG.

Last edited by worldtrav; Apr 17, 2010 at 7:43 am
Old Apr 17, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
A good website from the BA forum www.radarvirtuel.com

Look at the layers tab, and you can see the ash cloud covering Europe and where what few planes that are flying, are.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:22 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
From the BAA site

Flight cancellation update
Flights suspended until 07:00 tomorrow, Sunday 18 April

Last updated: 15:00 GMT, 17 April 2010

Following the latest advice from NATS, all flights to and from all BAA airports are suspended until 07:00 tomorrow at the earliest. Passengers due to fly today should not travel to these airports until further notice, and should remain in touch with their airlines.

We expect NATS to provide a further update around 21:00 today. We appreciate the continued patience of passengers at this difficult time and will provide updates as often as possible.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by hh1
I have just been told yes by the GS desk. I was offered a rebooking on Sunday in Y or Monday in C. I could either waitlist for C on Sunday, or get the refund if I took Y - not sure how much it'll be though!

Had to wait 7 mins for the GS line to be answered, after getting a busy signal several times - never had that before!

I was disappointed there was no proactive rebooking by United, but suppse there is little that can be done.
A little OT, but still related to UA's actions in times of signficant disruptions ... I wonder if the GS line gets extra staff on board to answer calls who may not quite be up to par with the normal reps manning the line. It seems based upon this and other posts, that the GS line isn't living up to expectations. This type of event is when it really should be shining for GSers.... (at least that's how I envision it from way down here in 1P land )

I just noticed this thread also, for you stranded folks: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...up-thread.html

Last edited by JenGal; Apr 17, 2010 at 9:09 am Reason: added thread link
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JenGal
A little OT, but still related to UA's actions in times of signficant disruptions ... I wonder if the GS line gets extra staff on board to answer calls who may not quite be up to par with the normal reps manning the line. It seems based upon this and other posts, that the GS line isn't living up to expectations. This type of event is when it really should be shining for GSers.... (at least that's how I envision it from way down here in 1P land )
(I did the bolding).

If you read this forum enough, 90% of what United does doesn't live up to expectations. Regardless of Mileage Plus status.

Take a step back and think about it -- this is a volcano that we're dealing with. Sure, there's a little wiggle room in perhaps flying through Madrid or Rome, but there are other mitigating factors:

- If you're going to Paris, for example, how do you get there from either of those cities? Trains are at least 12 hours, AND I would imagine that they're booked solid for the foreseeable future. I would bet that rental cars are booked solid as well.

- The projections are that 22,000 European flights fly on a normal day, and that 6,000 are flying (in places like Italy, Portugal and Spain). That's a LOT of displaced passengers.

- Other airlines are trying to protect their most elite fliers as well. When Lufthansa says there are "no Lufthansa planes in the air anywhere in the world" (Source), I would imagine they, along with other carriers, are doing the best they can to accommodate too.

Maybe there is something to be said for a hold time on the GS line, but if most GS folks are like what most (but not all) 1K folks were described as of yesterday, they are understanding.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The fact that the thing is still coughing up its lungs is not making this looking like clearing anytime soon. I am fairly certain I will not be flying Monday. I am wondering whether to change flights now or wait until the cancellation that I feel is inevitable. Ho hum. Extremely bored with this now.
Ditto. Flight is on Wednesday. Can't decide whether to wait another 48 hours or rebook for Saturday
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by LessO2
(I did the bolding).

.. but if most GS folks are like what most (but not all) 1K folks were described as of yesterday, they are understanding.
Whilst I am sure that everyone is understanding at a time like this, and realise that safety must be the priority, this is irrops - and GS not faring any better than anyone else.

Seems if it is possible to fly TATL to FCO and MAD, there could be a case made for airlines to charter some buses, or take some of the capacity that Eurostar is laying on to get people from LHR/BRU/FRA to the southern airports, and use some of the capacity now sitting idle to fly pax from MAD/FCO. just a thought?

If the volcano erupts for a year as it did last time, it may end up being the only option for TATL

Last edited by 2358; Apr 17, 2010 at 12:21 pm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:22 am

United Milage plus re-booking policy due to Volcano

I have two -1st class tickets booked at the saver award milage level to France for May, If this flight is disrupted by the volcanic eruption, will united automatically re-book at the saver award level or will I be subject to saver level availability issues ?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:45 am

UK airspace is now closed until 0700 BST and there will be a further update at 2100 BST.

It's not looking very good, I am sorry to say:

The National Air Traffic Control Service (Nats) said Met Office forecasts showed the ash cloud progressively covering the whole of the UK after 1900 BST. A further update is expected at about 2100 BST.

Nats head of safety Paul Haskins said: "It's a very dynamic situation at the moment. There may be opportunities for one or two flights this afternoon.

"Looking at the Met Office forecast we know from about seven o'clock onwards this evening that the ash cloud will again envelop UK air space and the restrictions will take effect."

Prof Brian Golding, head of forecasting research at the Met Office, said it was likely the volcanic cloud would remain over the UK for several days.

"We need a change of wind direction that stays changed for several days and there is no sign of that in the immediate future," he added.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8626686.stm
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hh1
Whilst I am sure that everyone is understanding at a time like this, and realise that safety must be the priority, this is irrops - and GS not faring any better than anyone else.

Seems if it is possible to fly TATL to FUM and MAD, there could be a case made for airlines to charter some buses, or take some of the capacity that Eurostar is laying on to get people from LHR/BRU/FRA to the southern airports, and use some of the capacity now sitting idle to fly pax from MAD/FCU. just a thought?

If the volcano erupts for a year as it did last time, it may end up being the only option for TATL
You don't think Iberia, or other European carriers aren't putting people on buses (or rail) already? (I know MAD is Madrid, but I no idea where "FUM" is).

I would imagine that today, or for the next week, you couldn't simply charter a bus on a whim. I bet there are a lot of people flying into those airports already and seats are filled to capacity.

I have no idea what the logistics would be, but I'm not sure carriers can simply create a new route to Madrid or Rome. They say the ash is moving south and east....that would affect Madrid and Rome quickly.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by JenGal
I suspect that it is similar with the 1K line, based on my experience. I called to cancel my entire trip after my flight to CDG was cancelled and the agent needed to check if the flight really was cancelled.

I did get through almost immediately, I must say. ^
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LessO2
(I did the bolding).

If you read this forum enough, 90% of what United does doesn't live up to expectations. Regardless of Mileage Plus status.

Take a step back and think about it -- this is a volcano that we're dealing with. Sure, there's a little wiggle room in perhaps flying through Madrid or Rome, but there are other mitigating factors:

- If you're going to Paris, for example, how do you get there from either of those cities? Trains are at least 12 hours, AND I would imagine that they're booked solid for the foreseeable future. I would bet that rental cars are booked solid as well.

In order to get out of London and to Madrid Mr SFOisHOME is taking a bus to Paris then a Train to Madrid and is on a AA flight thru Mexico City back to SFO. UA is opertaing flights from Madrid to IAD and CO Madrid to EWR. We thought going the most southern route on AA had the least likely-hood of being disrupted.

The bus and train tickets were extremely expensive as only the highest fares were available. The train from Paris is an overnight adventure that gets you into Madrid around 9 am the next morning.

UA hasn't helped us at all, we have been working with Mr SFOisHOME corporate travel agent, and have just continued to buy full fare B or F tickets with the idea that the tickets we don't use will just be refunded.

Mr SfoisHome (1k) called UA this morning and they told him there was nothing that they could do. They have still not re-booked his original ticket, so he bought new refundable tickets leaving Mon, Tues, and Wed hoping one of those flights would fly.

So currently he has Mon, Tues, and Wed tickets LHR-IAD; Tues Madrid-SFO. Hopefully, one of those will fly!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SFOisHome
In order to get out of London and to Madrid Mr SFOisHOME is taking a bus to Paris then a Train to Madrid and is on a AA flight thru Mexico City back to SFO. UA is opertaing flights from Madrid to IAD and CO Madrid to EWR. We thought going the most southern route on AA had the least likely-hood of being disrupted.

The bus and train tickets were extremely expensive as only the highest fares were available. The train from Paris is an overnight adventure that gets you into Madrid around 9 am the next morning.

UA hasn't helped us at all, we have been working with Mr SFOisHOME corporate travel agent, and have just continued to buy full fare B or F tickets with the idea that the tickets we don't use will just be refunded.

Mr SfoisHome (1k) called UA this morning and they told him there was nothing that they could do. They have still not re-booked his original ticket, so he bought new refundable tickets leaving Mon, Tues, and Wed hoping one of those flights would fly.

So currently he has Mon, Tues, and Wed tickets LHR-IAD; Tues Madrid-SFO. Hopefully, one of those will fly!
By the looks of things, MAD-SFO is your hubby's best bet.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM(BIS)
This is the source of the volcanic ash information.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/

Click on "Issued graphics" to see the latest maps.

It does not look very good at all at the moment!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.