Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEWARE: Grocery Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

BEWARE: Grocery Miles

I just bought a $100 gift card at Safeway today and noticed that $100 DO NOT count toward to UA miles. I guess I have to redeem for cash tomorrow (I live in CA).
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:27 pm

Unfortunately, Liquor Department items, fluid dairy products, tobacco, postage stamps, gift certificates, event tickets, amusement park passes, ski tickets, fishing/game licenses, lottery tickets, money orders, transit/commuter passes and tokens, prescriptions, pharmacy co-pays, container deposits, CRV (California Redemption Value), custom orders, floral deliveries, gasoline, electronics, Sales Tax, Club and card member savings, and store coupons are not eligible for miles.

Phew!

SGM
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:34 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarGoldmember:
Unfortunately, Liquor Department items, fluid dairy products, tobacco, postage stamps, gift certificates, event tickets, amusement park passes, ski tickets, fishing/game licenses, lottery tickets, money orders, transit/commuter passes and tokens, prescriptions, pharmacy co-pays, container deposits, CRV (California Redemption Value), custom orders, floral deliveries, gasoline, electronics, Sales Tax, Club and card member savings, and store coupons are not eligible for miles.

Phew!

SGM
</font>
Boy that is a lot of exemptions....where did you find that printed?

I get UA miles from sister grocery store Vons and I always assumed that everything counted since it is usually close to or right on as to how much I've accumulated with each grocery receipt (but I haven't bought a fishing license or postage stamps at Vons using my Vons Club Card!)..
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't get credit when you purchase the Gift Card itself.

But you do get normal credit for any eligable purchase you make with the Gift Card (and also swiping your Club Card, of course).
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:43 pm

I can't get to United's site at the moment, but the list of exemptions is printed on Safeway's/Vons's site here.

Note that the text says Restricted items may include, and I admit I have not checked to see if my milk purchases have added to the airline miles count.

SGM
Old Jul 13, 2003, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN RR,UA MP,AA
It took about 2 years for my first 125 miles to be posted. Not worth that much to buy from VONS,SAFEWAY forMP miles,IMHO.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lassen2545:
It took about 2 years for my first 125 miles to be posted. Not worth that much to buy from VONS,SAFEWAY forMP miles,IMHO.</font>
Since we like to shop at Safeway on a weekly basis anyhow, it made sense to get the MP miles. Plus, I've already netted these other 2 promos:

19-Mar-03 SAFEWAY PROMOTION 1000 1000
18-Jun-03 SAFEWAY USE 1000 1000
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
You don't get credit when you purchase the Gift Card itself.

But you do get normal credit for any eligable purchase you make with the Gift Card (and also swiping your Club Card, of course).
</font>
This does make sense. If this wasn't the case, lets say you bought a $100 Vons gift card with your UAL miles earning credit card. You would then earn 150 miles for that. Then you go back in the store and buy $100 worth of merchandise with the gift card. You would earn another 50 miles. That's 200 miles for $100 in purchases. I can then go further on and say after purchasing the $100 worth of merchandise with your gift card, you returned everything for a cash refund (if they let you). Assuming they'll deduct those 50 miles from you, you still earned 150 miles for purchasing nothing. So Vons/Safeway obviously doesn't want that to happen.

Still, using this program the normal way with a Mileage Plus credit card gets you 1.5 miles per dollar spent, which is a fairly good deal.

[This message has been edited by burgerwars (edited 07-13-2003).]
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ptpinit:
...Plus, I've already netted these other 2 promos:

19-Mar-03 SAFEWAY PROMOTION 1000 1000
18-Jun-03 SAFEWAY USE 1000 1000
</font>

I signed-up 3 months ago and am still waiting for my sign-up bonus to post. Anyone else with the same experience?
Old Jul 15, 2003, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1P MM
I think the exclusion for milk products applies in California because of our state's milk cartel, which seems to have the ability (by legistlation in california, but which anywhere else would be an anti-trus violation) of setting minimum prices on fulud mik products to keep prices up for milk producers, which the state wants to protect. These minimum prices prevent certain kinds of incentives or offers from applying to such products because that would constitute in their eyes a loosening of their grip on milk prices.

On the positive side of this promotion, although club card and DOUBLE coupon savings do not count toward the tally, the base amount (i.e. not the doubling part) of manufacturers coupons do count in your tally toward accumulating miles. I will regularly make a purchase wheremy total comes out to about 5 dollars, but because I used $3 face value in coupons, I get credited for 8. This is because the store actually gets paid those extra $3 (plus more) from the manufactuers.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lassen2545:
It took about 2 years for my first 125 miles to be posted. Not worth that much to buy from VONS,SAFEWAY forMP miles,IMHO.</font>
I think the program makes a lot of sense for shoppers of stores owned by the Safeway company, though it may not be worth switching supermarket chains just to avail oneself of this promo.
Certainly if one shops at Safeway, Genuardis, Vons, Pavillion, Dominick's, etc., and one has a MP account, one should take the 30 seconds to go the the GroceryMiles website to sign up.
In the past 10 months, I have been awarded 4,000 bonus miles, in addition to earned GroceryMiles (2,000 miles; 2x1,000 miles). One of those times, I had no idea I'd be getting a bonus until it posted.

In short, not a bad deal, especially if you'd shop there anyway.

Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:46 am

Same here. My grocery miles post every month like clockwork and I received the 1000 mile(x2) bonus without knowing there was such an offer.

Since I rarely eat out and I have a Vons supermarket right across the street, so the miles I receive from food shopping accumulate very quickly.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi,

Here is an article about guy who gives out his Safeway card number on bar coded stickers to people who want a discount but want to protect their privacy:

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,59589,00.html

I bet he is getting a lot of miles.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that dude's got game!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PLT (1MM); SPG GLD
All of you who use the Safeway Club card should perform a good deed today - go to www.escrip.com and sign up.

Why?
Local groups, such as food banks, schools, boys + girls clubs, local theatre productions will benefit.

How's it work?
Safeway gives a percentage of your spending to eScrip, who then donates about 90% of that to the group of your choice.

Signing up for eScrip does NOT affect UAL's Grocery Miles. You can earn money for a good cause and still earn miles!

How do I sign up?
1) Go to www.escrip.com and click the orange "sign up" button.

2) Click "City where group is Located", type in your hometown, and click the "Search"
button.

3) Click on the group of your choice. Click the "Next" button and proceed to the next step.

4) Enter the mandatory red fields (Name and address; you'll need to enter email if you'd like to easily make changes in the future).

5) Select your grocery card type and enter the number. [Don't know you Club Card number? It's on the front of your card or you can call 1-877-Safeway if you use your phone number instead of your card.]

6) Enter credit or debit card info if you want other purchases to be donated.

7) Enter Chevron card info, if desired.

8) Click "confirm" and you are done.

Now, forget all every time you shop at Safeway, someone benefits!

No, I don't have any vested interest in eScrip or Safeway. I was in charge of promoting eScrip at my son's preschool for 2002-2003. We earned $918 in 2002 and $490 through May of 2003. Not a huge sum of money, but pretty sizable to most of the groups listed on eScrip.

[This message has been edited by CutStyle (edited 07-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CutStyle (edited 07-16-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.