Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United and US Airways Rumored to be in merger talks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United and US Airways Rumored to be in merger talks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, AMEX Plat, Priority Club Plat, Starwood Gold
I definitely think that Tilton wants out of United asap, and that has been his overriding strategy since he took the reins. United is in the best shape in terms of flying experience in recent memory. I don't think that this would remain to be the case if US Airways took over, but there may be one positive no Starnet blocking.

At this point in time, United has the best frequent flyer program for those who fly a whole lot imo. If in the future, someone else has a better program for a person who flies a whole lot, they will get my business.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
One of the first things that US Airways did away with after the America West merger was the Million Mile program. Say goodbye to lifetime 1P if this merger goes through.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Maybe UA intended from the start that cooperation with CO would be used eventually as bargaining leverage over US in merger talks?
What a disastrous end to that engagement it would be. A marriage of CO/UA would be so much better for passengers and mileage hounds.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Interesting development.

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't see this happening, hasn't US still not 100% finished integrating America West? Also it makes no sense with all the work being done with CO, probably just a rumor or they're talking to push CO to make a move.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by oenophilist
One of the first things that US Airways did away with after the America West merger was the Million Mile program. Say goodbye to lifetime 1P if this merger goes through.
But say hello to free wine and beer in the RCCs...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Maybe ua1flyer can singlehandedly put a stop to this whole thing, then? (Assuming, of course, that he lands and finds out about it in time to act.)

Figures, just as I approach .9MM and was starting to wonder if I'd hit 1MM late this year or early next. Oh well, more important things in life I suppose...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
We saw what happened to the mileage programs of NW and DL... Can you imagine what would happen to Mileage Plus?? I bet it would no longer be the best program.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:53 pm

IF this deal actually happens it will be very bad for CO despite all "we don't care" comments CO's senior management may make. If not a strategic feint by UA to encourage CO to get into bed, then it is clearly egg on the collective face of CO & the B of D is going to be very unhappy.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:56 pm

I am worried about my E+ seating privilege.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by kenhawk
+1 ^

Time to break out the "Glen Must Go" bracelets again.
I'm not sure I prefer Dougie to Glenn Look at how Dougie has decimated US.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:59 pm

is there any reason to believe this rumor now as opposed to the last 20 times it's come up over the past decade?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:59 pm

Hopefully this will turn out like the time US/HP tried the unsolicited buyout of DL... strong rebuke because it didn't make sense for any of the stakeholders.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:00 pm

This "rumor" was clearly leaked by one of the key players to the NY Times, for what purpose it isn't clear.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by zhuyanfei
I am worried about my E+ seating privilege.
I'd be worried about E+ period......if the tightwads in tempe take over, that'll probably be gone. Chalk up another airline for parker to ruin!! They can't even get the merger they already did finished. Now if parker is out, this could be a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.