Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United and US Airways Rumored to be in merger talks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United and US Airways Rumored to be in merger talks

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Er, excuse me, but wouldn't they need permission from someone here for that?
Yeah!

I guess I can trade him for the name..

1) NO Stand-By fees for elite members
2) Special FT section on each plane!
3) Keep E+
4) No *net blocking
5) Free alcohol in the RCC
6) Real food in the RCC, none of the stale cheese and crackers!
7) ...

we can work out the terms.. Anybody a lawyer on here?

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Apr 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: 1K
Is anyone else over this yet?

With all these leaks, it's starting to make UA seem like some B-list celebrity angling for a reality show. At least it's shareholder value first, reality TV show second.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:07 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tulippicker
Is anyone else over this yet?

With all these leaks, it's starting to make UA seem like some B-list celebrity angling for a reality show. At least it's shareholder value first, reality TV show second.
Lol! Yeah. Anonymous leaks are such a trashy way to disclose information,
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Thumbs up

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/bu...l?ref=business

Excerpt:
Originally Posted by New York Times
US Airways Ends Talks With United
By JAD MOUAWAD

US Airways said Thursday that it had ended talks with its rival, United Airlines, about a possible merger, suggesting that Continental’s own discussions with United might succeed.

In a statement, W. Douglas Parker, the chief executive of US Airways, said, the company’s board had decided to abandon discussions to merger with United after having studied the transaction for months. “For the foreseeable future we intend to remain a stand-alone carrier,” Mr. Parker said.

“It is not necessary for us to be direct participants in a merger because the entire industry benefits when consolidation occurs,” Mr. Parker added.

Continental recently renewed its merger talks with United Airlines, two years after walking away from a deal. If successful, the merger would create the nation’s top airline, overtaking Delta, which itself took the top spot when Delta bought Northwest....
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...nes-Talks.html

Second story (excerpt):
Originally Posted by Associated Press
April 22, 2010
US Airways Ends Talks With United About Combo
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 11:58 a.m. ET

ATLANTA (AP) -- US Airways Group Inc. said Thursday it has ended talks with United Airlines about a combination.

The announcement came after word that United and Continental Airlines Inc. have exchanged information as a prelude to a possible combination between those two carriers.

Industry experts have suggested that a United-Continental combination makes more sense in part because of the two carriers already cooperate with each other.

If United and Continental were to complete a deal, it would create the world's largest carrier, leapfrogging over Delta Air Lines.

In a memo to employees, US Airways CEO Doug Parker said that the carrier continues to believe in the merits of consolidation, but for the foreseeable future it intends to remain a standalone carrier....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:14 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
To avoid duplicate threads, I'm going to close this one and let members use the newer one for their discussion; thanks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ks-united.html

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.