Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Yet another IAD RCC drink chit dragon data point

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Tried to fit in my rounds of the 4 lounges for drink chits and went to C17 or there abouts and was told, "go to the RCC at C7". I said I prefer to enter here and walk down later. She says, "we are closing at 9:30 and the bar is closed." She denied my 2 drink chits. I go over the the bar and the bartender is still serving up drinks. I ask if I can get a drink and she says sure. I go back and the dragon says, "the bar closed 5 minutes ago, I made the announcements you will have to go to C7".

I say, "The bartender just said I could have a drink, go ask her. This isn't a battle you have to win, we are talking about 2 drink chits." She says, "sorry it should be closed."

I walk out like I just spent $325 bucks this year to renew for this?

By contrast the C7 staff was very good. In my limited IAD RCC experience the C7 staff is good with the others being less than friendly.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
I flew in C from IAD-LHR a couple weeks back, C17 RCC was awful, C7 was a godsend.

I had just landed from GSO when I stepped into C17, and asked them to print me my updated boarding pass (as my SWU had cleared mid-air), and they refused to! Took a bit of pushing, but finally another desk attendant appeared, asked what the problem was, and printed it in about .546 seconds. Gave the other lady a stern look.

I had some time to kill, so hung out in C17, but way too crowded to really relax. Went down to C7, which was full of people waiting to depart on a flight to EZE, but cleared out in about 5 minutes (lucky timing for me). Enjoyed C7 very much, C17 needs to tighten it up.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by schley
By contrast the C7 staff was very good. In my limited IAD RCC experience the C7 staff is good with the others being less than friendly.
I've had good experiences at the D RCC.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I guess it was fortuitous that I stopped at the D gate RCC and C7 before my IAD-LHR trip a few weeks ago. This was after paying a visit to the Senator lounge. I had no problem in getting drink chits, and I picked up another one on the ground near the boarding gate.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
So if I understand you correctly, you went to all four lounges (3 RCC and Lufthansa club?). And in two of the three RCCs you received drink coupons and when you went to the last RCC you were denied the drink coupons. I understand the service inconstancies of the RCC can be frustrating, however, the spirit of the benefit is for two drink coupons at the international gate way city, you got what your were promised. Attempting to visit all the clubs was breaking the spirit of the benefit and if you think worthy of a post complaining about it more power to you. Its actions like this that UA will catch on to resulting in more "enhancements."
Old Apr 3, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
No, I went to 3 lounges, the Senator and 2 RCC. The OP visited all 3 RCC lounges. I wasn't going to stand around the boarding area for 60 minutes when a flight delay was announced. I have paid for a RCC membership with cash for 3 years, and this was my first international flight on United so I'm not the mooch you claim I am.

The first RCC visit was more of a pit stop to use the washroom after my extended walk in the airport (I wanted to get some exercise before my flight).
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1p, GF Gold, EK
Originally Posted by 777Brian
So if I understand you correctly, you went to all four lounges (3 RCC and Lufthansa club?).I understand the service inconstancies of the RCC can be frustrating, however, the spirit of the benefit is for two drink coupons at the international gate way city,
If UA was more in line with say, almost every other airline in the world by allowing free drinks in the lounge, i doubt he would have to go lounge hopping. as such, if they want to be stingy with the drinks, i think he is more than entitled to go lounge hopping. perhaps they need to specify you can only receive 2 drinks from all RCC's at the international gateway, or perhaps they can stop looking at a RCC as one more way to generate revenue, and start looking at it as a well deserved benefit of choosing to fly UA or *A and give free drinks.

also, if the drinks were priced reasonably, then perhaps that would be one less reason to have to collect the drink chits.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379
No, I went to 3 lounges, the Senator and 2 RCC. The OP visited all 3 RCC lounges. I wasn't going to stand around the boarding area for 60 minutes when a flight delay was announced. I have paid for a RCC membership with cash for 3 years, and this was my first international flight on United so I'm not the mooch you claim I am.

The first RCC visit was more of a pit stop to use the washroom after my extended walk in the airport (I wanted to get some exercise before my flight).
Regarding the number of lounges....I was referring to the OP. My comments were specifically around the purpose of soley visting RCCs to get the drink coupons.

Originally Posted by i7654
If UA was more in line with say, almost every other airline in the world by allowing free drinks in the lounge, i doubt he would have to go lounge hopping. as such, if they want to be stingy with the drinks, i think he is more than entitled to go lounge hopping. perhaps they need to specify you can only receive 2 drinks from all RCC's at the international gateway, or perhaps they can stop looking at a RCC as one more way to generate revenue, and start looking at it as a well deserved benefit of choosing to fly UA or *A and give free drinks.

also, if the drinks were priced reasonably, then perhaps that would be one less reason to have to collect the drink chits.
Then go fly one of those airlines.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2010 at 5:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I for one prefer C17 than C7 RCC because of the self-service refrigerator with soda and juice.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by 777Brian
So if I understand you correctly, you went to all four lounges (3 RCC and Lufthansa club?). And in two of the three RCCs you received drink coupons and when you went to the last RCC you were denied the drink coupons. I understand the service inconstancies of the RCC can be frustrating, however, the spirit of the benefit is for two drink coupons at the international gate way city, you got what your were promised. Attempting to visit all the clubs was breaking the spirit of the benefit and if you think worthy of a post complaining about it more power to you. Its actions like this that UA will catch on to resulting in more "enhancements."
If UA were bothered about this practice, they could easily stamp BPs when handing out chits.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
If UA were bothered about this practice, they could easily stamp BPs when handing out chits.
And as others have stated, they would just go out and print out another BP.

Have to agree that chit collecting, which some consider fair game to chit issuance issues, just re-enforces the preception of FF abusing the system. Neither is correct in my mind.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
or have the chicken/CSR print out the chits.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
At the SFO international RCC that's exactly what they do.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
You're right, they do.... which is ironic, given that they're the only RCC thereabouts
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
You're right, they do.... which is ironic, given that they're the only RCC thereabouts
I believe it is to keep you from exiting and re-entering and picking up another set of chits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.