Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Old May 20, 11, 4:39 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I rec'd my Card in 4/10 and called in to cancel the card to avoid paying the annual fee and they told me I could downgrade to no annual fee card which has 1 mile for every $2 in transactions. They said I would have to call back on 4/22, my anniversary date to do this and they would reimburse the $60 annual fee. I am planning to do this for credit score purposes, I have no interest in using this card. Have others been offered same deal?
This is exactly what I got, and I took it. The only question I have is whether it ends up being a brand new account (e.g. not great for my average account age) or an extension of the current one. They claim that it will be a brand new account with no hard pull, but who knows.
Old May 21, 11, 11:58 am
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I rec'd my Card in 4/10 and called in to cancel the card to avoid paying the annual fee and they told me I could downgrade to no annual fee card which has 1 mile for every $2 in transactions. They said I would have to call back on 4/22, my anniversary date to do this and they would reimburse the $60 annual fee. I am planning to do this for credit score purposes, I have no interest in using this card. Have others been offered same deal?
Same situation. Called last week and was offered "reimbursement" of the $60 fee OR 10,000 MileagePlus miles. For the reimbursement, I would have to pay the $60 due now and a $60 credit would be applied to the account in 4-6 weeks.
Old May 21, 11, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SJC View Post
Same situation. Called last week and was offered "reimbursement" of the $60 fee OR 10,000 MileagePlus miles. For the reimbursement, I would have to pay the $60 due now and a $60 credit would be applied to the account in 4-6 weeks.
That's an offer to buy miles at .006/mile. Grab it.
Old May 22, 11, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I found a $60 statement credit listed as '1k credit' and had never even asked to have it
Old May 23, 11, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA
I'd like to join, but would like to wait for the most miles on offer. Is 50,000 the best offer you've seen for new card members?
Old May 23, 11, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX S
Originally Posted by dc_gooner View Post
I'd like to join, but would like to wait for the most miles on offer. Is 50,000 the best offer you've seen for new card members?
It's the best we have seen for UA offers, yes.
Old May 23, 11, 2:55 pm

I've had a Mileage Plus card for years. A couple of weeks ago, I applied for the Continental Airlines 50,000 bonus mile card.

I just found Chase has a Sapphire Preferred card that gives you 50,000 bonus points if you purchase $3,000 or more in 3 months. These points will transfer 1:1 to United so essentially, it's 50,000 miles.

https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAp...=2069CO1150658

Anyone earn bonus miles from all 3 cards?
Old Jun 7, 11, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
United Visa Signature 50,000 Offer

Not sure if this has been posted before, or recently, but I logged onto United.com tonight and saw an ad for 50,000 miles and the annual fee of $60 waived for the first year. Also included are a $25 travel certificate and a 1,000 mile, one-class upgrade certificate (which can only be used when purchasing a full-fare economy ticket).

This is different from the normal offer of 30k miles and annual fee of $95. I was logged onto my MP account and have not previously owned a UA-branded CC. I applied and received a response deferring approval to within 10 days.

Rules:
50,000 BONUS MILES AND DISCOUNT TRAVEL CERTIFICATES:
With this bonus offer you will receive 50,000 bonus miles, one $25 United Discount Travel Certificate, and one One-way, 1,000 mile, One-class Upgrade Certificate. You will qualify and receive your bonus after your first purchase/first use of the card. First purchase/first use includes purchases, balance transfers, or any checks that are used to access your account, and excludes cash advances. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery of certificates and for bonus miles and statement credit to post to your account. Bonus awards cannot be shipped to PO Boxes or addresses outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C. The $25 United Discount Travel Certificate and One-way, 1,000 mile, One-class Upgrade Certificate are not combinable with other discounts or air travel certificates and are not transferable. United's One-way, 1,000 mile, One-class Upgrade Certificate is valid from paid full-fare Economy to the next class of service. Additional restrictions apply and are printed on the certificates. United reserves the right to substitute products of equal or greater value at any time for any reason. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time United Mileage Plus Visa cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing United Mileage Plus Visa cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. Bonus miles do not count towards caps. These miles do not count toward elite status. If your account is not open for at least six months, United and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus miles from your Mileage Plus Program account.
Old Jun 24, 11, 12:38 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
keep points when canceling card?

I received the 50k points deal last year. Now that the annual fee is due I want to cancel the card. Will I still get to keep my 50k Choices points or does Chase have some way of taking those away from me? It's not clear to me if those points live on the chase side or the UA side.

Thanks,
bmir
Old Jun 25, 11, 1:48 pm

Every indication I have is that the points are yours; there was no condition that you needed to pay the fee the next year.
Old Jun 27, 11, 3:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by bmir View Post
I received the 50k points deal last year. Now that the annual fee is due I want to cancel the card. Will I still get to keep my 50k Choices points or does Chase have some way of taking those away from me? It's not clear to me if those points live on the chase side or the UA side.

Thanks,
bmir
I would think you are free to cancel the card. There is nothing in the rules (last I checked) indicating that you must keep the card and pay the annual fee in year 2 in order to keep your miles. If they ask, just say you can't afford an annual fee card, or make up something like that. People cancel cards for all kinds of reasons, Chase shouldn't take away your earned points because you feel like canceling your card a year later.
Old Jun 27, 11, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by indiansfan07 View Post
I would think you are free to cancel the card. There is nothing in the rules (last I checked) indicating that you must keep the card and pay the annual fee in year 2 in order to keep your miles. If they ask, just say you can't afford an annual fee card, or make up something like that. People cancel cards for all kinds of reasons, Chase shouldn't take away your earned points because you feel like canceling your card a year later.
I've already transferred those miles into my CO account, so no worries. But I don't think they can take them away under the terms of the offer.

No need to make anything up in cancelling: "I'm happy with the card but don't get $95 of value from the annual fee when I get similar benefits for free from other issuers."
Old Jul 31, 11, 5:46 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
I got the UA card over two months ago under this 50k + $50 cert offer.

I fogot that I needed to spend $250 -- I spent $7, paid it, and waited... for nothing, of course.

Now, more than 60 days later, I'm going to go spend the $250 to clear the offer.

Is there any time limit on the spending in order to qualify for this 50k + $50 ecert offer? I can't find the T&Cs anywhere....

Thoughts?
Old Sep 8, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Credit limit not reporting on my credit report

I got the Continental OnePass Plus card a few months ago and gladly got the 50K signup bonus. I like the primary rental car insurance cover as well.

However, the one gripe I do have with the card is that it doesn't report my credit limit to the credit reporting bureaus. In my case, that's fairly significant, because my card of choice is an Amex charge card (no preset limit), and my other significant card has only an $8K limit, so the $18.5K limit on my new CO card would make a big difference to my available credit. I've only lived in the US for 3 years, so I don't have hugely long-established accounts, so every bit helps my score (which is decent, at 747, but could be better).

I've read of some cards which only report your highest balance in lieu of your credit limit, but mine isn't even doing that.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've searched the CO forum and can't find anyone else reporting this issue, which surprises me. Am I missing something? Is there anything I can do?
Old Nov 17, 11, 3:25 pm

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I spoke with Chase today on trying to have my Visa Signature(Marriott) and MasterCard World Elite(Continental) cards report the credit access line/limit. I had to be transferred to a 2nd level support rep, where he said starting Nov 6th 2011, they will start reporting the credit access line/limit amount to the 3 credit reporting agencies, not just the high balance amount, for all customers. It will take one statement cycle for it to start being reported.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: