Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Old Jan 19, 11, 4:31 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 View Post
I've heard that if you wait until the renewal statement with the annual fee comes before canceling, they might offer a retention bonus in the form of additional miles. Is this still the case?
When I cancel the card, I'll let you know if I am offered any retention bonus. I'm not expecting it.

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Anyone know if you cancel when the bill with the renewal fee comes if you can escape the fee?
It has been my experience that once an annual fee is billed, Chase is loath to remove it. However, one should always try. So too, one should avoid the fee in the first place. That's why I'm going to cancel well before the annual renewal happens.
Old Jan 19, 11, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
It has been my experience that once an annual fee is billed, Chase is loath to remove it. However, one should always try. So too, one should avoid the fee in the first place. That's why I'm going to cancel well before the annual renewal happens.
That's a helpful data point. I will plan to cancel after month 11. Have to set a reminder now . . .
Old Jan 27, 11, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Phone # for 50,000

Does anybody have the toll free # to apply for the 50k offer. I am a Prem Exec until 2/1.

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 11, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by jtmnyc00 View Post
Does anybody have the toll free # to apply for the 50k offer. I am a Prem Exec until 2/1.

Thanks

There is no toll free number AFAIK, just log in to your MP account and click on the "ways to earn miles" portion and there should be a link to the MP Chase offer....
Old Jan 28, 11, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by limitless View Post
There is no toll free number AFAIK, just log in to your MP account and click on the "ways to earn miles" portion and there should be a link to the MP Chase offer....
It shows an offer for 30,000 miles now.
Old Jan 28, 11, 12:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
It seems if you have ever made a purchase through the United Mileage Plus mall you will get the 50k offer, otherwise just the 30. I applied and was approved instantly for the 50k, after having only made a few purchases over the past few months on the mileage mall (from Charles Tyrwhitt, FTD and Drugstore.com).

Still vague on whether the annual fee is waved for some, or all, or none -- it didn't say mine would be waved, but it hasn't been charged to me yet.

One thing to note, the person on the phone told me when I activated my card that the $250 spend to get the 50k would have to be a single purchase, not a sum $250 of multiple purchases (not a problem for me since I was just getting ready to buy a new camera).

Also, seems they have run out of the Select cards. I got a regular card with a note saying the actual card would be sent in a few weeks.

Isn't this a repeat thread from the MilesBuzz page though?
Old Jan 28, 11, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by chelmkamp View Post
It seems if you have ever made a purchase through the United Mileage Plus mall you will get the 50k offer, otherwise just the 30. I applied and was approved instantly for the 50k, after having only made a few purchases over the past few months on the mileage mall (from Charles Tyrwhitt, FTD and Drugstore.com).

Still vague on whether the annual fee is waved for some, or all, or none -- it didn't say mine would be waved, but it hasn't been charged to me yet.

One thing to note, the person on the phone told me when I activated my card that the $250 spend to get the 50k would have to be a single purchase, not a sum $250 of multiple purchases (not a problem for me since I was just getting ready to buy a new camera).

Also, seems they have run out of the Select cards. I got a regular card with a note saying the actual card would be sent in a few weeks.

Isn't this a repeat thread from the MilesBuzz page though?
The $250 spend in one chunk is good to note. It explains why the miles didn't post until my second statement. Coincidentally $250+ expenditure I made was actually UA tix using the $50 cert that comes with the card. However it wouldn't work online and I ended up with the Chase people putting me on a conference call with UA web support to book the ticket with the discount over the phone. Did anyone else have a similar problem?

To give another data point, I am just a GM (was 2p a couple years ago) and have never purchased anything from the UA mileage mall but I got the 50k offer (annual fee not waived, though ).
Old Feb 4, 11, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I got the deferred decision ... we'll see.

This despite having received four, yes, four, different "pre-approved" Chase credit card offers in the mail the past several days. Hey, Chase, I don't want your Freedom, Slate, Marriott, or Sapphire cards--I just want the UA one and my 50k RDM (well, I'm more interested in the EQM for .bomb purchases). And I'd like it soon enough to book the spring trip to Spain I'm planning--or will Amex get my business like they usually do?
Old Feb 4, 11, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat
One thing to note, the person on the phone told me when I activated my card that the $250 spend to get the 50k would have to be a single purchase, not a sum $250 of multiple purchases
This may vary as well. The terms I downloaded on the one I have say -

"With this bonus offer you will receive 50,000 bonus miles and one $50 United Discount Travel Certificate. You will qualify and receive your bonus after you make qualifying transactions totaling $250 or more. Qualifying transactions include purchases, balance transfers, and any checks that are used to access your account, and exclude cash advances. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery of certificate and for bonus miles to post to your account."

As it happens, I did buy a ticket worth over $250, but I wasn't counting on having to do a single purchase.
Old Feb 7, 11, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
When do the EQMs for United.com purchases using the Chase card post? I've received the miles themselves (including 2X bonus) but My Mileage Plus is not showing the EQMs for the purchases.
Old Feb 7, 11, 11:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
When do the EQMs for United.com purchases using the Chase card post? I've received the miles themselves (including 2X bonus) but My Mileage Plus is not showing the EQMs for the purchases.
The united.com purchase EQMs typically post the month after the billing (and the RDMs) post. (for many this seems to be between the 20th - 24th of the next month)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-question.html
Old Feb 8, 11, 10:28 am
tpr

Programs: AA, SPG
Are you sure about that?
I'm logged in and see a small banner of CC and 50k on the right, but after I click it shows me 30k.
Trying to figure out how to get 50k offer.
Old Feb 8, 11, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by tpr View Post
Are you sure about that?
I'm logged in and see a small banner of CC and 50k on the right, but after I click it shows me 30k.
Trying to figure out how to get 50k offer.
Same happens for me.
Old Feb 13, 11, 12:55 pm

Terms of $50 Discount Travel Certificate

I have the offer for 50K after $250 spending, annual fee not waived, will give $50 Discount Travel Certificate.

I haven't read the whole long thread, so pardon me if it's been addressed; where they say the $50 cert. is "not transferable," does that mean the cardholder needs to be the passenger (I can't apply it when I buy a ticket for someone else)? They mention "additional restrictions": are there surprises there, such as a high minimum before it can be used?
Old Feb 13, 11, 2:29 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hyatt , HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List Preferred, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
I have the offer for 50K after $250 spending, annual fee not waived, will give $50 Discount Travel Certificate.

I haven't read the whole long thread, so pardon me if it's been addressed; where they say the $50 cert. is "not transferable," does that mean the cardholder needs to be the passenger (I can't apply it when I buy a ticket for someone else)? They mention "additional restrictions": are there surprises there, such as a high minimum before it can be used?
I just found my cert. It has quite a few restrictions (28) including:

$50 off round trip purchase of $150 or more
United and United Express only - not code share or Star Alliance
Blackout Dates around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years
Stopovers not permitted
Limited Qualifying Fares (Y,B,E,M,U,H,Q,V,S,T,L,K)

And lots more. Most are the typical E-Cert T&C's.

But I did learn a good thing about the card when my replacement showed up this week (they had run out of the correct plastic base when everyone ordered one ):

As of 15 Feb 2011 that the Mileage Plus Select will no longer have any Foreign Exchange Fees.

I found out while talking to one person today while activating the new card. I even called back a couple hours later and the lady had to check (she was not even aware of this) but it is no longer going to have the FOREX fees.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: