Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Old Jan 18, 11, 3:45 pm

I just called to cancel and the CS rep said that they will deduct the 50k miles if I cancel before a year. Has anyone else encountered this? That was not part of the terms when I signed up.
Old Jan 18, 11, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by intoran View Post
I just called to cancel and the CS rep said that they will deduct the 50k miles if I cancel before a year. Has anyone else encountered this? That was not part of the terms when I signed up.
once the miles are in your united account they are not suppose to be able to do that
Old Jan 18, 11, 6:13 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by intoran View Post
An idle threat. Did you point out your contention to the nice representative? No? Why not?

Parting shot: I'm going to cancel my card before it renews and I have no fear of mile losage. (I just coined that word. I'm so wonderful!)
Old Jan 18, 11, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by randys1 View Post
once the miles are in your united account they are not suppose to be able to do that
I am quite certain that when Mrs. Beltway signed up for this card last year, there was an explicit warning -- either in the T&C or from the CSR at the time of activation -- that the bonus would be clawed back if the account were closed within the first 6 months.
Old Jan 18, 11, 7:59 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by beltway View Post
...that the bonus would be clawed back if the account were closed within the first 6 months.
I applied at about the same time and I don't recall that proviso, but I could be mistaken. In any case, I have no objection to waiting 6 months. But a year? No way! That risks an unwanted renewal fee. I'll exit at the 10 month mark and let you know what happens. Nothing.
Old Jan 18, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
I am quite certain that when Mrs. Beltway signed up for this card last year, there was an explicit warning -- either in the T&C or from the CSR at the time of activation -- that the bonus would be clawed back if the account were closed within the first 6 months.
Are you not confusing this with the CO checking account rules?

How long have people had before their bonus posted. My statement closed at the end of December, and still nothing.
Old Jan 18, 11, 8:23 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up 50k? Yea! (MP status of dirt)

Just happened to be wandering around the UA website.
I've got no status and 3k miles in my account which "expire" in June 2010.

Clicked on the Chase Visa picture/icon.

Got the 50k "deal" (with $95/annum thereafter).

Thank you and welcome aboard.
Old Jan 18, 11, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Are you not confusing this with the CO checking account rules?
I am not. We've never done the CO checking account. Also, I recall being struck by the change in policy; Mrs B has churned Chase UA cards in the past (albeit lightly), and I've done so more energetically, and on no previous occasion was there any requirement to hold the account open for any period.

I suppose it's possible that Chase had different, more demanding T&C for prior churners such as my wife vs. first-time applicants. Possible, but unlikely IMHO.
Old Jan 18, 11, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by Billiken View Post
Just happened to be wandering around the UA website.
I've got no status and 3k miles in my account which "expire" in June 2010.

Clicked on the Chase Visa picture/icon.

Got the 50k "deal" (with $95/annum thereafter).

Thank you and welcome aboard.
Yeah, I'm in the same situation and can see the same offer. Sucks that the first year's fee isn't waived though.
Old Jan 18, 11, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
I applied at about the same time and I don't recall that proviso, but I could be mistaken. In any case, I have no objection to waiting 6 months. But a year? No way! That risks an unwanted renewal fee. I'll exit at the 10 month mark and let you know what happens. Nothing.
I've heard that if you wait until the renewal statement with the annual fee comes before canceling, they might offer a retention bonus in the form of additional miles. Is this still the case?
Old Jan 19, 11, 8:14 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dinosims View Post
Yeah, I'm in the same situation and can see the same offer. Sucks that the first year's fee isn't waived though.
My offer included waiver of the first year fee of $95.

You could always call and ask......
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Anyone know if you cancel when the bill with the renewal fee comes if you can escape the fee? In other words, is this like one of those "free" services where they hope you forget to cancel before they start billing or is it a bit more honest where they waive the first year fee in the hope you'll actually stick with them?
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Anyone know if you cancel when the bill with the renewal fee comes if you can escape the fee? In other words, is this like one of those "free" services where they hope you forget to cancel before they start billing or is it a bit more honest where they waive the first year fee in the hope you'll actually stick with them?
I've had "fee-free 1st year" cards twice before, and indeed there was no fee. Both times, the fee showed up on the bill after 1 year, and I called and cancelled the card then and the fee was removed. I didn't pay it.

They never offered me anything to keep the card at that point, but I was younger and dumber and never asked either.
Old Jan 19, 11, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by CrispyRice View Post
They never offered me anything to keep the card at that point, but I was younger and dumber and never asked either.
Or they were less sophisticated. Maybe I've just become more worth retaining, but retention efforts have gotten much stronger everywhere in the last 5-10 years. Companies realize it's a lot cheaper to retain a customer than obtain a new one.

Not that I know what Chase will do when I call to cancel but I would guess that it's probably cheaper for them to waive a $95 fee than to give someone 50k miles (or even 35k).
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:12 pm

I called Chase Visa and said the card would be renewing soon and fee would apply and i wanted to cancel, he said wait till the charge hits the bill, call them, and they would remove it...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: