FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1069868-chase-milage-plus-visa-50-000-miles-sign-up-promotion.html)

jmw2323 Apr 7, 2010 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Bargain Hunter (Post 13729031)
Just got off the phone. Any idea why some of these applications are instantly approved and some are not? They're going to snail mail me their response. I don't like doing this type of application where I don't have a hard copy of the T&Cs spelling out the 50K sign-up bonus.

So now it's just wait.

TBH

i got the snail mail response too. Not sure if anything to do with my swel-employment status. maybe it has something to do with how much I loathe Chase.:td:

The Bargain Hunter Apr 7, 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by jmw2323 (Post 13729042)
i got the snail mail response to. Not sure if anything to do with my swel-employment status. maybe it has something to do with how much I loathe Chase.:td:

I guess it remains a mystery, then. I know my credit score is 780+, I'm fully employed, and for good or bad, we do most of our banking with Chase!

filipo Apr 7, 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 13710708)
Hmm. Do those "miles" count as chase points? If so, that's $500, not a bad signing bonus! But I doubt it works that way.

Mike, what do you mean by Chase Points? As a Chase customer, I must be missing something!

I applied for the card. All I did was call the MP customer service number, ask for my balance, and when they asked if there was anything else they could help me with I said, "Do you have any special offers right now?" They immediately offered the 50k signup deal.

thanks...

nydad Apr 7, 2010 5:32 pm

Oh my god. This is so tempting. I will try to get one.

jmw2323 Apr 7, 2010 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by jmw2323 (Post 13729042)
i got the snail mail response too. Not sure if anything to do with my swel-employment status. maybe it has something to do with how much I loathe Chase.:td:

thought it was odd when i was about to hang up the agent says enjoy spending your miles.

saacman5033 Apr 7, 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jmw2323 (Post 13728980)
on with them right now. almost laughed when they said you may be rejected if you make a habit of only opening cc accounts for air miles. :D

I had the same reaction!

gomike Apr 7, 2010 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by nco4242 (Post 13728748)
I just got one as well. It is good however to know that after the first year there is the $60 per year fee and Chase is pretty pricey when it comes to fees if you don't pay monthly as well as they charge an exchange fee as well as 3%. So your better off using a Capital One or Schwab card for your cash withdrawals and use this card just for building up mileage.

Anyway thanks to the original poster.

That is why we close the account after six months.

nydad Apr 7, 2010 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by zapyiu (Post 13724156)
anyone who applied to the CO/BA card in the past 6 months got approval for this?

Ditto to this question.

kevin80 Apr 7, 2010 7:27 pm

I signed up on Monday. Got my email today titled "Your United Mileage Plus Visa is on its way!". In the email on the right is the following:

Earn 50,000 bonus miles after your first purchase

2 tickets after first purchase/user of card. Not too bad.

-Kevin

atcanobbio Apr 7, 2010 7:33 pm

is this offer only for elites members?

kevincure Apr 7, 2010 8:24 pm

Got the snail-mail response too. It doesn't mean anything. Whenever I move, I get no instant approval for quite some time. I haven't noticed any correlation between snail-mail and denial. Indeed, if I'm denied (not common), it's often right away!

Definitely no 6 month wait - I've done BA and Southwest in the last 5 months, fully expect to get this one as well.

I had a United card in 2006. Two friends also did. Both got a new card and bonus this year. Chase had no record of my ever having had a united card last time I talked to them. Of course, ymmv.

FlytheTail Apr 7, 2010 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Henwurst (Post 13728619)
Call Mileage Plus Customer Service (1-800-421-4655 for non-elites)

1. Choose "manage my account"
2. Let them know your mileage plus number and zip code
3. Say "more options"
4. Finally say "apply for a United mileage plus card".

Thanks -- this process worked like a charm. I'm no longer a UA Elite member, so it seems like it is open to all who have a United mileage account.

Be prepared to hear the long T&C on the phone...

Thanks to the OP for posting.

nydad Apr 7, 2010 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by kevincure (Post 13730310)
Definitely no 6 month wait - I've done BA and Southwest in the last 5 months, fully expect to get this one as well.

Glad to hear this. I will try!

eap Apr 7, 2010 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio (Post 13729980)
is this offer only for elites members?

No. A non-status friend of mine had no trouble signing up for this offer.

midnightio Apr 7, 2010 9:01 pm

In for one as well. Good things come to those who wait... and read the forums.