Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Milage Plus Visa - 50,000 Miles Sign Up Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:13 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by randys1
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but with these annual fee cards, do most people get the card, use it, get the miles, then cancel the card a year later when the fee is due?

does that effect anything, couldnt if you have the miles already, what if you have the miles but havent used them, they dont take them away do they?
Some people cancel the card. Others keep it. 1K members will get a $60 credit each year, which will cover the cost of the card.

As for cancellation, read the terms of your offer carefully. In general, you usually have to keep the account active a minimum length of time, usually 6 months, to keep the miles.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
So? I had three & finally got approved. Had to cancel one card though. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13783352-post392.html Go for it.
Well, I have two Chase Visa cards and the t&c's say that the bonus is only for new card holders.

There are exceptions to this?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
promo seems to have ended???

Just called the 800-421-4655 number with the intent of opening an account in Mrs. Portolan's name and after wading through the voice menus to "I'd like to open a Mileage Plus Visa," was told (by automated voice) that the offer had ended. No other option offered except something about mailing in an application with no other details provided. Was this just a poorly handled office closed issue on a Sunday or are we really too late?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 7:17 pm
jyj

Programs: United MP 1P
confirmation e-mail

I got a confirmation e-mail from Chase on Friday letting me know that my card is on the way! (I applied on Tuesday.)

Just to clarify - the terms are spelled out and it definitely does not mention having to spend $250 to get the 50,000 miles...just that you will get the miles after your first purchase. I guess that means the targeted offer is different than the open offer some of us managed to get in on.

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1 You will qualify and receive your bonus after your first purchase/first use of the card. First purchase/first use includes purchases, balance transfers, or any checks that are used to access your account, and excludes cash advances. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account. These miles do not count toward elite status. If your account is not open for at least six months, United and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus miles from your Mileage Plus Program account.

2 You will earn 2 miles for each $1 of eligible net purchases made directly from United and 1 mile for each $1 of all other net purchases. Double miles for United purchases only apply to purchases made directly from United (including but not limited to www.united.com, United Reservations, or United City Ticket Offices). United flights purchased through a travel agent or travel website do not apply, unless otherwise specified. There is no maximum number of miles that you can accumulate in the program. You do not earn miles on balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of your account. See Rewards Program Rules and Regulations for details."
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
My card came over the weekend. Didn't say anything about 50k miles inside. Anyone else's whose came come like that?

Edit: just called to activate and they told me I'd get 50k miles regardless of what I spent. So ^ to that.

Last edited by Superguy; Apr 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
How hard is it to upgrade from this UA MP Card to the one that includes RCC? And possible fee waiver?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:43 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eap
Some people cancel the card. Others keep it. 1K members will get a $60 credit each year, which will cover the cost of the card.

As for cancellation, read the terms of your offer carefully. In general, you usually have to keep the account active a minimum length of time, usually 6 months, to keep the miles.
Just read the T&C of the BA offer. Nowhere it is mentioned that I should keep the account open for six months to receive and KEEP the bonus.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:53 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by BAK
Just read the T&C of the BA offer. Nowhere it is mentioned that I should keep the account open for six months to receive and KEEP the bonus.
This thread is regarding Mileage Plus, not BA.

That said, looking at Chase's website, I no longer see this as a requirement on the Mileage Plus cards. It was definitely there in the past.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1P / *A Gold, SPG Gold
Called up this morning and was told that I was already accruing Mileage plus points thru an existing VISA and that I wasnt eligible. Whats up with that? I have other friends who have pre-existing VISAs and got approved for the 50k bonus. Any idea similar stories?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by terps37
Called up this morning and was told that I was already accruing Mileage plus points thru an existing VISA and that I wasnt eligible. Whats up with that? I have other friends who have pre-existing VISAs and got approved for the 50k bonus. Any idea similar stories?
Approved for the card and receiving the bonus are two entirely separate things. Just because they would let you apply doesn't mean you qualify for the bonus - until you hear one of your friends getting 50k, I wouldn't be so sure. (As far as applying, if you do want to do that - just try again with a different CSR)

Last edited by okrogius; Apr 19, 2010 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:01 am

Pretty pissed right now, they did not approve me, even though the guy I talked to did recommend me for approval.
Reason: too many requests for credit or opened account with us.

I have two Chase cards, none are United or other airline cards. Zero balance on both, although I admit I got my Amazon card recently (a month ago). And I also have a considerable amount of money in the bank.

But they can kiss my .... I'm sure a better offer will come around and they just lost my business. Going to close my other Chase cards too.
Well, I'm off the United forum for now, never flown United but I was excited that I would soon, but no reason now, I don't live next to a hub anyway (which is too bad. I live near DTW and was a happy NW customer until Delta took over...)
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:04 am
jyj

Programs: United MP 1P
Originally Posted by eap
That said, looking at Chase's website, I no longer see this as a requirement on the Mileage Plus cards. It was definitely there in the past.
The six month requirement was stated in the T&C in a confirmation e-mail that I got from Chase. It's quoted in a post up above. (#424)
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: mileage plus, skymiles, marriot silver, starwood plat, priorty club, hilton honors
Originally Posted by Portolan
Just called the 800-421-4655 number with the intent of opening an account in Mrs. Portolan's name and after wading through the voice menus to "I'd like to open a Mileage Plus Visa," was told (by automated voice) that the offer had ended. No other option offered except something about mailing in an application with no other details provided. Was this just a poorly handled office closed issue on a Sunday or are we really too late?

I applied on Saturday....at first I got the same automated response-- then I read a post where at the zip code prompt you press 00000. I did and was directed to a customer service rep.

I was approved over the phone and told I was eligible for the 50,000 points.

Hope it works!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:20 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jyj
The six month requirement was stated in the T&C in a confirmation e-mail that I got from Chase. It's quoted in a post up above. (#424)
Thanks for the heads up. I re-read my Chase BA welcome letter: the six-month rule is not there. What makes me unhappy however, is the overall randomness of the entire process: I saw that some people with other UA cards and recent BA cards were approved and some were not. But if I will eventually get the UA bonus and get to keep the BA miles, I will not complain.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by terps37
I got that when I called UA the first time. Hang up and call back again.

Chase didn't care that I already had an MP Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.