Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Need advice - Mileage Award to Maldives via Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice - Mileage Award to Maldives via Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Hilton Diamond
Question Need advice - Mileage Award to Maldives via Singapore

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Maldives from LAX. We have enough miles accrued to fly First Class and want to use Singapore Airlines both for the experience and we want to layover in and visit Singapore. It seems that we might be forced to fly there via the Atlantic (web site seems to say muswt go via Atlantic). Any suggestions on what we should say or how we can go about getting all of this on Singapore Airlines?

Last edited by apollo2105; Mar 31, 2010 at 3:52 pm Reason: needed to enter starting airport
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by apollo2105
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Maldives from LAX. We have enough miles accrued to fly First Class and want to use Singapore Airlines both for the experience and we want to layover in and visit Singapore. It seems that we might be forced to fly there via the Atlantic (web site seems to say muswt go via Atlantic). Any suggestions on what we should say or how we can go about getting all of this on Singapore Airlines?
Practically impossible to use SQ transpac in F since their F availability is blocked out on SQ 11/12. The ULH flights on the all business class A345 is also off limits for redemption at least using *A miles. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There are other worthy *A carriers that can get you to SIN.

Should note that the flights aren't blocked as a result of Starnet blocking.

SQ is the one restricting access to their *A partners.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk; here are some related threads that may be of help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-miles.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uffalo-ny.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...sia-award.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...honeymoon.html
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kluau88
Practically impossible to use SQ transpac in F since their F availability is blocked out on SQ 11/12. The ULH flights on the all business class A345 is also off limits for redemption at least using *A miles. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There are other worthy *A carriers that can get you to SIN.

Should note that the flights aren't blocked as a result of Starnet blocking.

SQ is the one restricting access to their *A partners.
How would you get to the Maldives then using miles?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
How would you get to the Maldives then using miles?
Do you have dates in mind?

You can get to the Maldives using miles, but you will likely have to take one of the other *A partners over to SIN where you can connect to SQ to get to MLE.

You might want to register for the ANA MP so you can use their *A Award Availability Tool. More details here.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...st-got-better/

As with building any awards especially F, you need to plan early and be persistent as you might not get the exact award you want at first booking. Hopefully you are a 1K so you can make changes free of charge.

Noticed in your profile you are AA EXP so I'm assuming you have UA miles from another source?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kluau88
Do you have dates in mind?

You can get to the Maldives using miles, but you will likely have to take one of the other *A partners over to SIN where you can connect to SQ to get to MLE.

You might want to register for the ANA MP so you can use their *A Award Availability Tool. More details here.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...st-got-better/

As with building any awards especially F, you need to plan early and be persistent as you might not get the exact award you want at first booking. Hopefully you are a 1K so you can make changes free of charge.

Noticed in your profile you are AA EXP so I'm assuming you have UA miles from another source?
I have miles in most programs - fly too much - just have more in AA - not a United 1K. I am going to do some research per your comments. I appreciate this - I will post in a few days - I now realize I need to book another Partner to Singapore... too bad
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:04 pm

I am going to the Maldives too! Flying from ORD to SIN (via NRT) on UA. SIN to MLE on Singapore Airlines.

Back to SIN on Singapore Airlines, and SIN to ORD (via NRT) on ANA. Flying ANA because I did not want to spend 23 hours in SIN! But I am still spending 16 hours in transit there!

The SIN flight into MLE gets us in late, so we are spending a night at the hotel near the airport. The flight back to SIN is an overnight flight.

I booked this itinerary using UA miles in Business class...
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
Another possible routing would be LAX-BKK direct on TG (two class plane, very nice, I'm doing that again next week), arrives early AM, then TG or SQ to SIN for that evening flight to MLE.

Singapore isn't a bad place to kill a day on the way home from paradise. The hotels (Marriott, Four Seasons and Ritz) have all been very good about letting me check in at 9am when I have come in off the overnight flight from MLE.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Last September I flew LAX-SFO-HKG (one day layover)-SIN (one day layover)- MLE and return MLE-SIN-BKK (three day layover)-NRT-SFO-LAX

(And the reason for the LAX-SFO was to ensure new config C on a 747.

Anywho, I booked UA Metal in Y LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN on the outbound and then BKK-NRT-LAX on the return (upgraded to C using SWU). I booked the SIN-MLE-SIN-BKK on SQ with Amex Award miles transferred to SQ (they had a promotion which allowed 25% off award travel).

You could conceivably fly SQ to SIN via NRT, but as people have noted it can be difficult to book... also, the only F service to SIN from LAX is via NRT, given that the non-stop is an All-C service. I leave it to others to debate whether F on the 747 is better than C on the A340.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:05 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TJQuill
Another possible routing would be LAX-BKK direct on TG (two class plane, very nice, I'm doing that again next week), arrives early AM, then TG or SQ to SIN for that evening flight to MLE.

Singapore isn't a bad place to kill a day on the way home from paradise. The hotels (Marriott, Four Seasons and Ritz) have all been very good about letting me check in at 9am when I have come in off the overnight flight from MLE.
I don't know if most people's idea of killing a day is spending $400-500 on a hotel. I'm sure most could enjoy a stay at the 4 seaons or Ritz Carlton regardless of where it is.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:45 am

I have miles in most programs - fly too much - just have more in AA - not a United 1K. I am going to do some research per your comments. I appreciate this - I will post in a few days - I now realize I need to book another Partner to Singapore... too bad
BA flies to MLE, if you wish to burn AA miles

For transpac option, you could fly to CMB (unfortunately, SQ no longer offers F product on the SIN-CMB route; we flew this in F in 2007 and it was fabulous) and then buy a RT ticket on Srilankan. We picked this option both the times we visited MLE from the west coast.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:04 pm

i flew on miles biz class ord>fra>dxb>mle. i had to purchase a separate mile ticket on emirates using UA miles from dxb>mle and back.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Have you considered EK from Lax to Dubai to Maldives ?

There are a UA partner airline. Redemption levels are higher than *A awards. I don't know how good or bad availability is, though.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Have you considered EK from Lax to Dubai to Maldives ?

There are a UA partner airline. Redemption levels are higher than *A awards. I don't know how good or bad availability is, though.
You have to do separate awards one segment at a time and it is costly. In coach you have a chance, business is tough and you need flexibility and first is about impossible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.